Reload this Page >

gorgeous hotels around bath/cotswolds?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:03 PM
nat

any suggestions as to where is currently the nicest place to stay/has the nicest food etc?<BR><BR>has anyone stayed at babington house? does anyone know whether this has a website? (as I can't find it!)<BR>cheers

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 11:13 PM
Richard

Nat.<BR>Have not stayed there, way out of my league I am afraid, but here is the website: www.babingtonhouse.co.uk/

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:27 AM
regwootton

We just stayed at a place in Woodstock (sort of borders the Cotswolds)that was gorgeous - The Feathers. It is walking distance to Blenheim Palace, has an amazing restaurant and there are lots of great pubs in Woodstock.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 05:40 AM
tom

nat:<BR><BR>The Bath Spa Hotel is one of AMEX Leading Hotels int he world.

Old Apr 11th, 2002, 08:40 AM
xxx

Babington House is very trendy, and run more like a private club. Media types use it a lot, I believe. Us locals can't go there for a meal! All the reviews are great. They have a touch of the "wow, look at us!", but I guess that's fair enough really. It is very different from the normal "country house hotel" in the UK. So it depends what you like.<BR><BR>In the area, there is Homewood Park, which has the best restaurant that I have tried round about (on the edge of my radar). I haven't ever been to Charlton House, which is connected with Mulberry, the luxury leather firm.<BR><BR>BTW, this is NOT the Cotswolds, but is still a very pleasant area. Homewood Park is also doing an interesting deal with three other hotels where you can be ferried by limo between them (one in the heart of the Cotswolds). One of these, The Vineyard at Stockcross, has aroused a deal of interest/comment (though I haven't been yet). Again not exactly the right area, but somewhere like babington with a bit of buzz about it ...<BR><BR>In Bath, the Royal Crescent would clearly be the top address. I haven't been for years following a horrible Sunday lunch - but that was several owners/chefs ago, and its star has been rising for a while now. It really does merit consideration - location is just unmatchable - and you're right in town, so you can mooch around other eateries. I think it's an absolute must for afternoon tea at the very least. A couple of others I would feel mean about if I didn't mention - I go to The Priory quite often (it's closest to home for me), and I think the food is very pleasant. The lounges have the MOST dreary paintings in the history of canvas (my opinion on this amounts to rote), but I forgive them. The service is quite reticent but actually rather friendly. I used to go to Lucknam Park quite a bit, but it got a bit stuck up itself, so I've given it up for a while.<BR><BR>In Bath, the "top" restaurant would be Blinis. I ate several times at its predecessor, Lettonie, and the food was very good. They had one super waiter who redeemed the place - when he wasn't there it was like an undertakers' training college. Rumour has it that Blinis is a bit more relaxed...<BR><BR>In the Cotswolds proper, I feel that Buckland Manor has the most idyllic setting, and I have always enjoyed meals there - though it's been at least two years since I've been. I must say that I've never seen it full! The Lygon Arms would be considered the top address in the area, and I really do think that is poppycock.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 04:27 AM
nat

wow this forum has some traffic!<BR>maybe babington is not the engish country house experience i am after- has anyone one stayed at cotswold house recently? what about manoir aux quat saison - is it worth the outrageous rates?!

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Lori

Thornbury Castle in Thornbury north of Bath. Spectacular!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Mike

If you want to stay at Le Manoir, I would go for the cookery course. I thought the hotel very nice, but overpriced. I was expecting the gastronomic experience of my life, and it fell short, and you know how poorly disappointment sits alongside a bill for several hundred pounds a head. But I realise with hindsight that I was heading for a fall. Staying merely as a guest, I was underwhelmed, although their cakes for afternoon tea were probably the best I've ever had. As a student on the cookery course - one of the best vacations I've ever had, way beyond my expectations. I haven't been for a while, and they spent &gt;$10 million on an upgrade a couple of years ago. They've just lost the teacher at the cookery school (again - this is starting to look like carelessness), so maybe some feedback on the new chap should be sought.<BR><BR>It is convenient, just off the M40, so less than an hour from Heathrow and less than an hour to the heart of the Cotswolds. The landscape is, well, flat. It's affluent and pretty, but a bit dull. Compared to Buckland Manor for scenery, no contest.<BR><BR>Thornbury Castle could be interesting - making a comeback after a few tricky years. Different again - really old building, as opposed to just old.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:15 AM
Julie

There are loads of country house hotels in the Cotswolds. Lower Slaughter Manor looked gorgeous, http://www.lowerslaughter.co.uk/<BR>and Lords of the Manor in Upper Slaughter is supposed to be really luxurious, too. <BR><BR>You might try using the AA web site, where you can search for hotels in the Cotswolds that have earned stars or diamonds for high quality. The site is <BR>http://www.theaa.co.uk/<BR><BR>Julie

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 09:54 AM
erica

Here's another vote for Thornbury Castle. We stayed there in November of 2000. It was incredibly beautiful, excellent restaurant. It felt like Henry VIII was going to come striding into the room at any moment.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:14 AM
euroboy

Royal Crescent and Bath Spa, in that order are suggestions for Bath.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 10:36 AM
liz

Be certain to stay at Buckland Manor in the Cotswolds; you can see my write-up on it under the Fodors hotel section for that region. It is a once-in-a lifetime dreamy experience.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:47 PM
Patrick

What about the Lygon Arms in Broadway? It's been a number of years since I stayed there, but it was gorgeous and the dinner was sensational. I know they've since added a spa as well. I liked our room with two foot thick walls and leaded windows.

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 03:55 PM
Andy

We stayed at Lord of the Manor last May- it was highly overrated for the hotel portion--Stay somewhere else-rooms NOT worth the price...HOWEVER&lt; DO GO THERE FOR DINNER- the restaurant is a 2 star Michelin and one of the best we have eaten in! You need a coat and tie.<BR><BR>We have stayed at Homewood Park ,outside of Bath , and it is very very nice-with large rooms and a good dining room.<BR><BR>Lygon Arms in Broadway is outstanding and will break the bank-<BR><BR>One of the most gorgeous places we stayed last year was not in Cotswold, but in CHESTER at the Chester Grosvenor --5star hotel and one of THE BEST I have ever stayed at in England-<BR>In the center of town-town is full of antique shops-rivewr runs around town-there's a zoo there--but the hotel is a little boutique hotel with absolutely GORGEOUS rooms-and they bring you your continental breakfast IN BED!!!!!!!<BR>I would LOVE to stay there for a week!

Old Apr 15th, 2002, 11:57 PM
nat

Any views on Thornbury castle vs Amberley castle?