Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good Rome day trips to take a break from the city??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First I need to say that I have attempted twice before to post this msg and although everything seems ok, it never shows up when I look for it later. So if anyone is reading it as a dupe, I apoligize.
That said, I am planning an anniverary trip for hubby and me to Rome in late Sept. Have already booked a nice apt in southern Trastevere.
I'm looking for ideas for nice day trips, or possibly one night stays. I think mid week it would be nice to take a break from the hustle bustle of the city. Actually, I might be ready for a break from ruins, monuments and tourists as well. Does anyone have any good suggestions for going to the beach, or countryside, or small villages or other Italian cities with completely different feel than Rome? Just like the idea of breaking up the week with a change of scenery.
I'd rather not have to rent a car. Trains are good. Or I'm willing to hire a driver if that is the best way to go. Speaking of that, has anyone had good luck with hiring a driver? Sounds like such a relaxing option. Thanks lots.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

ok it's me again and i figured out what i was doing wrong in trying to find my posts. sorry for the inexperience as i try to find a way to delete the dupes.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

IS THERE ANY WAY TO DELETE YOUR OWN POSTING? I POSTED DUPLICATES IN ERROR AND WANT TO DELTE THEM. THANKS FOR HELP.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
sjj

Ostia Antica is a good day trip, Hadrian's villa in Tivoli is another. You get to Ostia Antica by going to the Pyramide metro stop and then taking a short walk to the adjacent train station. For more on getting there and to Tivoli search this forum.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 04:11 PM

I took a day trip to Ostia Antica with a stop off at St Paul's Outside The Wall. This church is now at the top of my list of favorites. I hadn't realized how large and interesting this church is and I've seen a ton of churches

I really like Ostia Antica more than the many ruins I've seen in Europe. It's more a feel of looking at a town. Hope this helps.
Old Aug 22nd, 2007, 05:45 PM

I hope you enjoy Rome as much as we have. We, too, wanted a break for the hustle & bustle of Rome's frenetic pace so we daytripped to Assisi and thoroughly enjoyed our day. We took the train, which was easy and inexpensive. Just another idea...happy planning!
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:17 AM
ira

Hi L,

>IS THERE ANY WAY TO DELETE YOUR OWN POSTING?<

No.

Don't worry about it.

Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 05:56 AM

For a break from the city, when we were in Rome, we went to Sperlonga - a beach town about an hour and a half away. We got there by train (~1 hour) and then bus (~20 minutes). The bus comes right to the train station - the connections were very easy.

We (my husband and our two teenagers and myself, as well as some family friends who were in Rome at the same time) really enjoyed the day. Sperlonga is a very pleasant, very small, beach town - it truly was a real break from the urban crowds, noise, traffic, etc.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:24 AM

My first choice from Rome is always Orvieto--charming place just over an hour north with good connections. If you want a great beach then Sperlonga is your best bet.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:26 AM

Pompeii
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 06:48 AM

Agree with Orvieto.
You may find that there's so much to Rome that you won't want to split your time up.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

Daytrips:

* Maybe the beach, if it's warm (Gaeta, Anzio, Formia area)
* Chiusi, if you're into Etruscans
* Caserta
* I don't know if they give tours, but perhaps Cinecittà (Rome's version of Hollywood)

Overnights:

* Gran Sasso mountains
* Perugia
* Central Umbria (Spello, Todi, Montefalco, Bevagna, etc.)
* An Adriatic beach
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Thank you thank you thank you for all the wonderful suggestions. And yes, we may find we have no desire to leave the city. I just thought it would be great to have the option and to have already done the research so I'm not clueless. Great ideas, I'm printing them out to take with me.
Old Aug 23rd, 2007, 08:37 AM

lucybell,

I'm leaving for Italy in three weeks (first time, so I'm no expert) but if you do go to Hadrian's Villa in Tivoli, don't miss the fountains/gardens at Villa d'Este. We are planning this as a side-trip when we are in Rome. I saw them on Francesco's Italy a few months back on the Travel channel and they do look beautiful. We are also going to take the train to Orvieto for a day, too. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again everyone. I happen to be a UA flt attendant and right now I am typing this while sitting in an internet cafe in Roma ! I am on a 29hr layover. I dont want to do any sightseeing because I want to "save it" for when I come back with my hubby. So instead I am using this as a time to practice using metro, busses, collecting maps, brochures, buying bus passes, checking into soccer tickets, finding the location of our apt, etc.
Its a mild day here, only about 78degrees and partly sunny. Crowds galore. On the way in from the airport we drove past the Vatican and the line was totally insane, it just went on and on and on.... I am really hoping the crowds will be down in late sept when we come back! I will enjoy a bowl of carbonara and a gelato (or 2) for all of you ! Ciao.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 03:42 AM

Lucybell
Just be sure to check the other thread, too, as people gave you suggestions there.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and envy you sitting in Rome on what sounds like a perfect day.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 05:28 AM

I too would suggest Orvieto, an easy one hour or so train ride from Rome. Assisi would also be a great option.

I loved Ostia Antica but if you are looking for a break from ruins and want to relax I would probably pass on Ostia.

Tracy