Good restaurant in Ravello?

May 11th, 2003, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Good restaurant in Ravello?

We've bought our tickets (4 of us) to a concert in Ravello on a Saturday night ( in 2 weeks!) but thought maybe we should book a cafe/restaurant for dinner up there before the concert (Sat night, we'll only arrive in Positano the day before). Any recommendations or should we wing it? I'll check postings here, but sometimes they're a bit old.
May 11th, 2003, 03:07 PM

We enjoyed Cumpa di Cosima. The special sampler of seven different pastas was wonderful.
May 11th, 2003, 03:42 PM
Ian

I'd second Grinisa. Netta's Cumpa' Cosimo. Great food & a lovely lady - once you break through her crusty veneer.

1 or 2 blocks north from the piazza.
May 11th, 2003, 03:56 PM

LOL! We had lunch at Cumpa di Cosima in October 2001. Food was delicious, but Mamma was in a FOUL mood that day. When we returned to our hotel in Nerone, the owner said he'd had lunch there the day before. Good to know that the locals like to eat there too.
May 12th, 2003, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks everyone - the Rants and Raves suggested Cumpa di Cosima too! Do you think there's a need to book for Sat night dinner?
May 13th, 2003, 08:56 AM

Cumpa de Cosima. I haven't seen her in a bad mood - eaten there several times on several trips, but I have seen her very busy and not so friendly. Great food!
May 13th, 2003, 10:54 AM

We kind of tripped over Cumpa Cosimo while wandering round Ravello (without any real plans.) We were hungry and went in late for lunch -- about 2 pm. Sga Netta took us under her wing, said no need for a menu, she would bring us what was good. And she did. Insalata, crespini, a bottle of local wine, all excellent.

We were delighted -- had never heard of the restaurant. On our way out we noticed a full-page review from the Washington Post, and realized we had stumbled onto a treasure. True travel serendipity!
May 23rd, 2003, 03:25 PM

I was glad to hear of another great restaurant in the Ravello area. I will definitely try San Giovanni in Pontone. Thanks.
Jun 10th, 2004, 08:13 AM

How did you book your concert tickets. I tried to and couldn't find an on line sight. The concerts are supposed to be wonderful!
Jun 10th, 2004, 09:33 AM

Ciao Junebride04,

You can try WWW.ravellofestival.com
Jun 10th, 2004, 11:06 AM

I like Cumpa, but is you aren't staying in Ravello and only have one opportunity to dine there, I would pick a place with a view, as the view is THE star attraction in Ravello, IMO, esp in summer when it will be light so late. My choices would be:

RISTORANTE GARDEN
Hotel Ristorante Garden
via Boccaccio 4
Tel.: 089 857226
Fax 089 858110
http://www.hotelgardenravello.it/eng/indeng.htm

Next door to Vila Rufolo so excellent for pre-concert. Through the tunnel off the main piazza on Via Chiunzi. Has a wonderfully panoramic terrace.

Villa Maria
Via Santa Chiara, 2
Ravello
http://www.villamaria.it/eng/albergo.asp
Phone +39-(0)89-857170-857319 - Fax +39-(0)89-857255-857071

This is on the way to the gardens at Villa Cimbrone, and also has a large outdoor terrace for dining with a great view. Very good food.

RISTORANTE DA SALVATORE
Via della Repubbliche 2,
Ravello, Italy
Phone: 089/857227

More moderate, great at sunset.

Jun 10th, 2004, 11:16 AM

I second the vote for Giardino (in English "The Garden") The food is gret and the views are breathtaking and it is right at the busstop.

Waaaaa, I wish I were back there now sipping vino, looking at the view....
Jun 10th, 2004, 12:03 PM

Oh hush up Seaurchin, you have been there twice already this year!!!

Kidding!
Jun 10th, 2004, 12:19 PM

Thank you so much for that website. The one I was using would not let me purchase tickets for July yet. What seats are good to buy? Garden, stand? Have a wonderful trip!
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:54 PM
Original Poster

http://www.rcs.amalficoast.it/ was the website we used to buy our tickets.
Jun 11th, 2004, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

We went to the concert last year in late May. It was still cool in the evening and was indoors. A friend went in June and sat outdoors in the garden which she said was delightful. Too long to stand! The Trio we saw were fantastic!
We ate at the Cumpa Cosima where Mamma was dispensing her favours - we received free chips ( fries), but only the friend who had rabbit was thrilled. 2 1/2 stars out of 5. We booked the day before - got the Villa Rosa to ring for us, and they also negotiated a cheaper taxi to bring us back than we had been able to find by asking in the piazza of a few taxis. We caught the ferry from Positano to Amalfi, then bus up to Ravello.
Buon viaggio!
Jun 11th, 2004, 05:21 PM

I would make a reservation at Cumpa di Cosimo. We did not and they were very full and they gave us a bit of a frown when we didnt have reservations. You will get a nicer table in the front too.

Villa Maria is a great choice as well - the most lovely setting with a great view. Try to reserve there too for the best tables but all the tables have a view so you really cant go wrong. Try the mushroom risotto. Delicious! And the waiters were so nice, warm, friendly - some of the best we had in Italy.
Jun 13th, 2004, 03:31 PM

This is great! We will be in Italy in a little over 2 weeks and my husband and I just discussed trying to get some restaurant suggestions for Ravello.

Sea Urchin, don't feel bad... I feel the same way upon returning from a trip. You no sooner get home and you want to go back ASAP! Just start planning another visit - you will feel better. I will try to let you know if and when we will be at the webcam in Sorrento. I will have to figure out how you will know me since I have noticed that lately more people than in the past are waving at the camera.

Jun 25th, 2004, 02:50 AM

We ate at Rosselinis which was spectacular but the family really liked the small San Giovanni Restaurant in Pontone a short drive away.Homemade pasta and a wood burning pizza oven,followed by homemade limoncello.

Ristorante-Pizzeria San Giovanni
Via San Maria
Pontone di Scala (SA)
(10 mins from Ravello)
WWW.ristorantesangiovanni.com
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:26 AM

I think the Giardino is a best place to eat also, since you will be attending the concert afterwards, it's close to Villa Rufolo. San Giovanni in Pontone is a fine place to eat, but it's in a village higher up above Ravello, takes a litlle time to get there.
I have heard that Cumpa di Cosimo is good, but one time I tried to stop there for lunch, I committed the apparant sin of going in by myself, and though it wasn't crowded, they said I would have to wait a half hour, then proceeded to seat 2 couples who stopped in after me. It emabarassed me, and I felt terrible, so I walked out and that's when I "discovered" the Giardino, where I enjoyed a delicious meal, friendly service, and the georgeous view. Only one pasta, not seven, but what a relief after my experience at Cumpa Cosimo!
I have stayed at Villa Maria, and the terrace restaurant there is wonderful also-fine food and friendly staff!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO