Reload this Page >

good/reasonably priced restaurants in Venice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 07:57 PM
Nikki

Hello all. this is my first trip to Venice and I would like to eat good food (not necesaarily pretentious or gourmet) for approx. $25-50USD for two people. I basically want to be full and satisfied upon leaving the restaurant.<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Nikki

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 08:56 PM
Mike

Assuming that you are looking for a sit-down restaurant for dinner - good luck at that price range. Venice is an expensive city. I can't recall getting out of a restaurant there for under $100 for dinner for 2.

Old Sep 1st, 2002, 10:32 PM
Holly

Oh, horsepoop, Mike! I've had many great meals for under $35 (for one) including wine in Venice. You just need to get away from San Marco and the Rialto areas, and don't seek out the places that are recommended over and over again on this board. Get away from the crowds, and you'll be surprised at what you'll find. Unfortunately, I can't remember the names of any of these places and I didn't write them down. But they are there.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 04:24 AM
Angela

Al Vecio Gondolier, Calle Priuli, 106-30121. Tel 041 714651. The menu is all in Italian and they had one waitress that didn't even speak English, that indicated to me that they didn't cater to tourists which was refreshing in Venice. Great food at reasonable prices.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:14 AM
dean

Da Pinto in Campo delle Beccarie. Great fish, wonderful antipasti and cechetti. Keep it simple with plain grilled fish which they get att the daily fish market across the campo. Skip the pasta and pizze. Very nice wine list featuring the whites of Friuli. Will be at the mid to high end of your range.<BR><BR>Alla Frasca, sort of near the Fondamenta Nuova. Very traditional. They serve a pasta or two at lunch along with a wide assortment of cicchetti. Great place to have a spritz aperol or spritz campari (white wine, sparkling water and a shot of either of the named aperitivi. Very cheap. House wine is dreadful.<BR><BR>Trattoria Ca D'Oro or alla Padova. Just off the Strada Nuova, near the Ca d'Oro is this traditional family run restaurant. House wine is dreadful. Great frito misto of seafood- calamari, tiny shrimp, tiny whole fish. <BR><BR>Dining on your feet at a bacaro. Bacari are wine pubs with fod. They have a counter with various dishes on display. These are cicchetti. You point to what you want. You can order them singly or have a combination plate. Then order a glass of wine and enjoy. After you are done they will total up what you have had. Our favorites are do Mori, Achiugette. If you don't go crazy on the wine, two can easily have a lunch or dinner for $40 or $50 a couple. Venetians don't typically have a full meal at a bacaro. They pop in for a single cicchetti or two and a glass of wine and then are on their way. Others hand out a visit over a couple glasses of wine. But if you are non traditional, its a wonderful way to have a great meal cheap.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:34 PM
mj

I also have had good luck with reasonably priced food in Venice. Actually, we found all of Italy to be cheaper than France in the restaurant department. And it is absolutely correct that you don't need to order all the courses that are presented on the menu!. First, that's probably too much food and second, it is perfectly proper just to order the courses you want.<BR><BR>There are several good restaurants, some family run, on or near Campo San Barnaba, (the Ca' Rezzonica vaporetto stop) in Dorsoduro. Also, be aware that if the restaurant is packed, and you are at what appears to be a table for four, they may seat another couple next to you. We had a fabulous time talking with two older French women who were seated next to us one evening. <BR><BR>Good luck.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:41 PM
Jim

Mike is full of it!!<BR><BR>There are many excellent restaurants in Venice for under $50 for 2 people, including wine, appetizers, salads, etc. My favorite is the Taverna San Trovaso near the Accademia. Ate there three times and never spent more than 45 EURO for two people.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 08:49 PM
Melissa

I also second Trattoria Ca d'Oro. Not only were the prices reasonable, the food was yummy......even for my picky niece!