Reload this Page >

good reads about Italy?

Search

good reads about Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2002, 09:45 PM
valerie

good reads about Italy?

Any recommendations for good novels, historical or otherwise, about Italy?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:27 AM
Jill

If you haven't read Under the tuscan Sun and Bella Tuscany by Fancis Mayes you have too. The first one is better. ALso, Summer's Lease by EM Forrester is very good. If you are planning a trip and want to be inspired there are a few movies you could rent - Enchanted APril - wonderful movie! Also try Il Postino, Where angels fear to tread and Life is beautiful. enjoy!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 03:43 AM
erica

Valerie - I just put all my Italy books together in one place yesterday. If you get more specific about an area I could help. Also go to Slowtrav.com and read their book/memoir section. There is ALOT written about all parts of Italy, the majority being on Rome, Tuscany and Umbria. Going there?

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 05:54 AM
adams

"Beach Music" by Pat Conroy.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:26 AM
dan woodlief

Room with a View by E.M. Forster is good and very readable. It combines Florence sights with a look into English society, along with a love story.

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 08:22 AM
Wendy

The Agony and the Ecstasy is a fantastic novel following Michael Angelo from Florence to Rome and beyond. It gives amazing history, art and religeous backgrounds!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 12:10 PM
gb

I read As Romans Do. A true story about a US family living in Rome

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 06:56 PM
valerie

thanks for the good suggestions.<BR><BR>Erica -- I'll be in Milan, Venice and Varenna. traveling by train.<BR><BR>

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 07:40 PM
Maria

I know I will probably get in trouble for suggesting this -- but The Sicillian by Mario Puzo is wonderful. I fell in love with Sicily just by reading his discriptions. Besides, it is really entertaining too. There I said it!

Old Mar 1st, 2002, 09:56 PM
Geo

I have to second The Agony and the Ecstasy by Irving Stone. I just finished reading it and couldn't put it down.