Reload this Page >

Good Hotels in Edinburgh

Search

Good Hotels in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 06:47 AM
Jess

Good Hotels in Edinburgh

I am going to Edinburgh for New Year and was wondering if anyone has ideas of hotels/b&b's in the area that were reasonably priced and centrally located to all the sights.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 09:23 AM
Kristen

I took a trip to Edinburgh last March and stayed in a self-catering apartment. The price was the same as a double room in a hostel, and the apartment was amazingly nice. You may want to consider a self-catering unit on your stay. A good reference for self-catering units is http://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/rentals.html. We stayed at 7 St Mary's and loved it. Aboutscotland.com also has additional info on B&Bs and hotels. Good luck - New Years is one of the highest tourist seasons of the year, and you may already find that many places are fully booked.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:00 AM
Jess

Thanks Kristen, I'll definitely check out the website. Have you been in Edinburgh for New Year? What's it like?

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:11 AM
Rhonda

Jess, <BR>In answer to your question "What is Edinburgh like at New Year" ....BUSY. The Hogmanay celebrations are a huge attraction especially the Street Party on New Years Eve. You'll need a street pass for that or you won't get in. There have been other threads about that in this Forum but if you need any specific info..I'll do my best to answer it. This will be our third New Year here. Kristen is right you will need to get your accommodation organised soon...Edinburgh is hugely popular at New Year. Enjoy your first Hogmanay!

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:16 AM
Bob

We stayed at the HOWARD HOTEL in Edinburgh. Class place, large rooms. You could walk to town. Give them a call to see avail for New Year's.

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 11:58 AM
Jess

I've joined First Foot Club so I should be getting my street passes somtime in November. And one of my friends, who lives in London, is looking for our hotel/b&b, but I thought I'd help her out some by asking around here. Another thing I've heard is that hotels that are near the street party provide their guests with passes. True? Thanks for everyone's help! <BR>-Jess

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 12:02 PM
xxx

The following are culled from previous answers to this question. <BR> <BR>Ibis Hotel on Hunter Square, was about $40.00 per person. Mount Royal on Princes Street in Edinburgh. It is a large tourist hotel, next door to Jenner's, a perfectly gorgeous department store with high quality goods. Love the location, good price and the restaurant overlooks Princes Street. Rooms on the front of the hotel are noisy, so I would request rooms in the back. Can't beat the location for getting around town. <BR> <BR>Quality Hotel, Edinburgh Airport, Ingliston, Edinburgh EH28 8AU, phone 0131-333-4331, fax 0131-333-4124. One night in mid-September and it was 55 pounds. <BR>Howard Hotel in Edinburgh. Great place when we stayed there in 1992. Beautiful upscale bed and breakfast on a quiet street near downtown. I would stay there again on a future visit. <BR>Scandic Crown, very nice hotel with helpful staff and central to everything you will most probably want to do in the capital of Bonnie Scotland. <BR>Turret Guest House, if it is in Joppa, gets a rave review in the Rough Guide. Old Waverly was found to be an excellent hotel and will stay there again if or when I return to Edinburgh. <BR>Parliament House, great location, beautiful rooms <BR>Elmview B&B on Argyll Place. I've tried others, but they don't have the extras that you get at the Elmview (i.e. fridges, complimentary sherry, shortbread, marble bathrooms, large rooms, great proximity for sightseeing). <BR>Lauderville-loved it <BR>The Coach House. This is a hotel across the street from the Waverly train station. No character whatsoever, but clean, comfortable, obviously conveniently located. On Princes Street, it is half-way one street over from the Royal Mile, which means is walking distance to the Edinburgh Castle and the Holyrood Palace. About $80/double, includes an excellent breakfast. <BR>Avondale Guest House had good rates (about 50 dollars a night) and included a full breakfast. The only problem is that there were shared bathrooms. <BR>Ard- Na-Said, on 5 Priestfield Rd. in Edinburgh. It's short bus-ride from the historic center of town. Mr. and Mrs. Lyons are friendly hosts, the decor is lovely, and the breakfasts, served in a charming dining room (the pretty plaid window hangings and tablecloths still bring a smile to my face) are plentiful. Phone 0131 667 875417 Abercrombie Place was delightful and within walking distance to the main street in Edinburgh. <BR>Melville Guesthouse-excellent in every area. A+ <BR>Dunedin Guest House, 8 Priestfield Road, are four star, but priced to compete with 2 stars, beautiful, historically registered home, all en suite rooms, full breakfast, etc. WONDERFUL hosts! E-mail address is: [email protected].

Old Oct 17th, 2001, 03:39 PM
Vanessa

Jess, <BR>On recommendation from other fodorites, I stayed at Castle View Guest House at the beginning of October. I can't say enough good things about it! Coranne, who runs the guest house was so friendly and helpful (she recommended many great walking tours). <BR> I had a single room (the Highland Room), which was spotless, and decorated with matching tartan cloth, a lovely antique closet, and pictures of Scotand on the walls. I paid 35 GBP a day, breakfast included. By the way, breakfast was always very filling and very good. <BR> Castle View's web site is www.castleviewgh.co.uk. The bed and breakfast is extremely centrally located, one minute from Princes St. The only "downside" that one might make about the hotel is that the rooms are located on the 5th floor and there is no elevator. However, this seems to be very common in Edinburgh, and I got used to it right away. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail. <BR>Vanessa

Old Oct 18th, 2001, 06:03 AM
Jess

Thanks to everyone who recommended places! It definitely gives me direction in finding a place.

Old Oct 27th, 2001, 05:55 PM
sylvia/florida

Jess, <BR> <BR> If you are still looking, Joppa turrets Guest house was delightful. Overlooks the firth of Forth(like a bay front view)with a small walled garden. <BR>Need to bus or taxi to Prince Street so it might not be the right place for this trip. <BR> <BR>Delightful host and wonderful breakfast! <BR>Comfortable, clean and simple cottage style furnishisgs. We would definitely stay there again, about 22GBP each a nite. The have a website: just search joppa turrets. Do not confuse Joppa Turrets with Joppa Rocks, two different places. We recieved the referral from the Fodors Forum. <BR> <BR>Enjoy! I didn't know Edinburgh was the place to be for New Years. I'll have to try it some time. Sylvia <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 28th, 2001, 08:32 AM
xx

If you're still looking around the GREENS HOTEL is great. <BR> <BR>I went back to Edinbourgh with a friend recently and she loved this hotel as much as I did. It's about a 10 minute walk from the west side of Prices Street.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 04:47 AM
CCxxx

Just returned (last night) from a wonderful weekend to Edinburgh. We stayed in the Crowne Plaza, booked last month. Got a great rate: £79.50 (sterling) per person, which included B&B (full Scottish breakfast) for two nights and one dinner (three-courses in their restaurant). I think they also have special rates for Christmas and New Years. The hotel couldn't be more conveniently located than it is--half way between Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace. The hotel offered every amenity you could possibly need (including two hairdriers in the room, floor heating in bathroom, etc.), and the staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The hotel also has a pool, bar, lounge, etc. Good luck and have fun! <BR> <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:21 AM
Barbara

CCxxx, quite agree about the location of the Crowne Plaza. Unfortunately, it was closed last Christmas for two or three days, reopening for New Year's.

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 07:43 AM
Jenny

Hi folks, <BR> <BR>I live in Edinburgh, so maybe I can help with any specific questions, but can I just state first off - BOOK YOUR HOTELS EARLY FOR NEW YEAR! Everywhere is mobbed, and the hotels charge much more than usual. SOme of the larger hotels offer street passes to guests, but I wouldn't assume that this will happen with all hotels - I would definitely check when booking. Anything else I can help with .. feel free to mail me direct, and I'll do my best! <BR> <BR>Jenny

Old Oct 30th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Jess

Thanks to all for giving great ideas! And Jenny, if my friend who's responsible for booking our hotel doesn't come through by the end of the week, I may just take you up on your offer and email some questions. : )

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:28 AM
T.M.

I also stayed at Green's Hotel and loved it. Quiet neighborhood within walking distance of the big sites and lovely rooms. Pretty good breakfast in a comfortable dining room, too. Our room had a huge bay window and we could look out over the whole neighborhood.

Old Nov 2nd, 2001, 10:50 AM
kam

Marshall Meadows Country House is in Berrick upon Tweed, just over the border in England. From there you have hourly direct train service into Waverley Station in Edinburgh (about 45 min.) and so don't have to cope with driving. It's a charming country hotel with good food and nice service.If all the hotels are booked in Edinburgh, I would give this a look.