Good Hotel near the Geneva Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will need to stay overnight in Geneva in order to get our 9 AM flight to the US. Can anyone recommend a good hotel close to the airport, with transportation, and also near some interesting restaurants and sights?
This trip will be the first week in July.
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:39 PM

I somewhat disagree that you need to stay at the airport for a 9:00 AM flight. You can be out there, by train, from downtown Geneva and IN the terminal bldg in less than 10 minutes.
Old May 15th, 2009, 04:40 PM

oops, sorry thought you meant you had to stay at the airport...
Old May 15th, 2009, 05:30 PM

I stayed at the Hotel Suisse Geneve in a single last year for one night for a 7:40 AM flight the next morning. It's directly across the street from the train station where there's a frequent train that takes about 6 minutes to get to the airport.
http://www.hotel-suisse.ch/index_english.html

I had a small room with double bed, but it was clean and comfortable. I was more interested in getting to the airport on time than worrying about the sights. But it was still an easy walk to the river and across to the old town - even in the rain. It also didn't seem seedy like it is around some train stations. It's hardly upscale either. When I was there, I walked by some of the other hotels I had considered and thought this was a good choice, especially for the money. Here's my actual room.
http://www.pbase.com/jeff_b/image/97580197

Hotels are expensive in Geneva and I only paid $105US through www.otel.com
Old May 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. I'll follow up on both of these suggestions!
Old May 16th, 2009, 03:31 AM
Original Poster

Jeff,
Thanks! I looked on the website. Rooms look just as your post said: small, but nice. The website describes a single room with one double bed with bath or shower and then a double room single use and then double room with bath or shower. Double room, I assume, means two beds, but how does "single use" differ from "bath or shower?" Any insights?
Thanks,

Rosie509
Old May 16th, 2009, 04:16 AM

<i>"Double room, I assume, means two beds."</i>

Not necessarily. It can be a double bed but used by only one person.

Not many hotel rooms in France will have two double beds as the rooms are not big enough.

In many hotels you will even find twin beds, either one or two.

If bath or shower is not listed in the description, it may not actually be in your room. It may be down the hall, shared with other guests. Some room types DO NOT have a shower or bath or even a toilet in the room. So if you want private facilities in your room, you should be sure to ask about that. It is often called an "ensuite" room.

Happy travels!
Old May 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM

Unless you don't like big cities, just stay in Geneva. There are plenty of interesting sights there. I think a night in an airport hotel is a night wasted out of my valuable vacation time. Unless you have a flight at 6AM.
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Original Poster

Unfortunately, our flight leaves out of the airport at 7:30 AM so we will have to leave the hotel about 5:30 AM. Would you still stay in Geneva and take the train that is right across the street from the hotel that "swisshiker" mentioned? Or...because the the awful departure time, stay nearer the hotel. That was the only fight we could get back to MSP that fit our time frame for traveling.
Thank you You all are of great help!
Old May 16th, 2009, 07:27 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would definitely stay in Geneva downtown somewhere near-ish the main train station. It's only 7 mins ride to the airport by train. Then you could have the evening before to go into the Old Town area or dinner somewhere nice.
Old May 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM

Rosie509,
I didn't see any of the other rooms, but they all have private shower or bathrooms. My experience is that a twin is 2 small beds and a double is one bed large enough for two. I can't imagine they'd give you a smaller room than mine, but there's always a chance they'd give you a bigger one. I went with otel.com since they were so much cheaper than the hotel website - the way I usually book rooms. I agonized over location too - near the airport or near the train station, but concluded that the train shuttle was at least as efficient as a hotel shuttle with the advantages of being in town that the others have mentioned.

Not sure what airline you're flying out on, but on Swiss Air, they allowed you to check in the night before. So I did that, went to airport (quick and easy, they also give you a transit pass when you check-in at the hotel that's good for the airport train) checked my bag, got my boarding pass and just had a tote to deal with the next morning.

The trains from Geneva to the airport are frequent - every 10 minutes or so, but on Sunday morning, when I left, there was a bit of a gap when I needed to leave. Here's the airport website. You can check Swiss Rail for the schedule.
http://www.gva.ch/en/desktopdefault.aspx/tabid-3/
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

As always, thanks to all of you who have posted a reply!
~Margaret ( Rosie509)