Reload this Page >

Good German Food

Search

Good German Food

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:43 AM
emily

Good German Food

I know about all the traditional German food but I was wondering weather there was a new wave of german food. I would imagine with a lot of immigrants in Germany, the food has changed. What about the Mosel River Valley....any good food there?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 05:49 AM
trying

Not a result of immigration, and not unusual, but I had a simple but surprisingly good pizza for lunch at "Christophers" (I think the name was) in Cochem. It was pepperoni, but had a bit of a kick (hot) that I enjoyed. Gourmet, no; tasty, yes.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:24 AM
Rex

None of these suggestionsa re Mosel valley, but...<BR><BR>Among the highest rated in all of Europe, is: <BR><BR>Schwarzwaldstube, in Kur & Sporthotel Traube Tonbach, Tonbachstrasse 237, Baiersbronn, tel: (7442) 49-26-65.<BR><BR>I ate there in 2000, and it was magnificent.<BR><BR>Two other listings at http://www.patriciawells.com/reviews/toptables/europe/ger.htm<BR><BR>I also recommend Schloss Neuweier (near Baden-Baden) - - a mix of "nouveau" and tradition.<BR><BR>And although it is approaching two years old, you might find this worthwile (again, not Mosel)<BR><BR>http://www.nytimes.com/2000/12/17/travel/17TAB.html<BR><BR>Requires registration to read, but it's free.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 06:41 AM
Russ

Germany has a lot of nice Italian restaurants. In Cochem, you'll probably enjoy Ristorante Castello:<BR>http://www.aldo-michele.de/<BR>Great food and atmosphere, but I found it smoky when I was there. Another that I liked in Cochem is La Baia - right near the bridge and with a nice upstairs terrace where you can sit outside in good weather. The food there is good too (I didn't think it was the culinary highpoint of my recent trip there - just good and non-smoky - but my wife can't eat Italian anymore without remembering this place, for some reason.)

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 08:43 AM

topping, for emily<BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:00 AM
xxx

IMHO there is no such thing as good German food.

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:28 AM
UNCLE SAM

xxx,<BR><BR>That is why opinions are loke ----everybody has one.<BR><BR>Of course there is good German food. It might not be good for you but it is good. I'd suggest saurbrauten or roasted pork knuckle or a brta and a beer with the hot spicy mustard.<BR><BR>In Munic for a nice French restaurant try Werneckhof on Werneckstrasse. Great food and a nice wine selection<BR><BR>USi

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:30 AM
Bert

IMHO anyone without the cajones to post their real name and address is no good. German food rules. Schweinhund!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 10:37 AM
notsure

I don't think that immigration makes for new German food, only for more food from other countries. I was really surprised when I moved to Germany at how difficult it could be to find a really good, all German, restaurant. Italian, Turkish, even Vietnamese all abound. I like to head to the local Rathaus for some great rahmschnitzel and pommes frites.... works for me!

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 11:01 AM
mpprh

hi<BR><BR>having eaten in germany often when on business, I would say that the traditional food (strangely including Italian !) tends to have huge pieces of meat and very heavy sauces.<BR>The "foreign" restaurants ........... Turkish, Chinese, Thai, etc follow the local lead.<BR><BR>It is good food, but different.<BR><BR>Peter<BR><BR><BR>

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:24 PM
xxx

Good German Food. Isn't that an oxymoron?

Old Sep 25th, 2002, 02:27 PM
yyy

Oh, xxx, I'll think of you the next time I'm eating fresh white asparagus with Westphalian ham.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 02:14 AM
francesca

I lived in a Munich for awhile and found a lot of wonderful traditional German food. However, all attempts at "ethnic" food were pretty weak. Italian was terrible and the "Asian" food was a joke. The only passable ethnic restaurants appeared to be Turkish and Greek, probably because there is a critical mass of people from those countries in Munich. I live in Paris now but I miss that great food in Munich! Not to mention the beer...

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 02:34 PM
yes

What ever don't order Kalbsnierden (sp) like I did on a lark. Calves kidneys are not my favorite.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 02:58 PM
Art

Having lived in Germany for seven years, I had many excellent meals both in restaurants, gaststatte and in private homes. They probable have the largest selection of sausages and some of the best as well as the best beer in the world. They have many ways of preparing veil and beef (you know, what animals are made of). They have many ways of preparing potatoes and other vegetables.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:40 PM
Thefirstxxx

I am the first xxx and I usually post under my real name, but I knew I would get flak for saying there was "no good German food". It was just a joke (sort of). <BR><BR>As another poster said, "large pieces of meat and heavy sauces" -- yuck. I did qualify my opinion by saying "IMHO" and at least one other poster agreed with me.<BR><BR>Sorry...apologies to those of you who love German food. Hey, some of my best friends are German, but I still don't care for the general cuisine.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 05:49 PM
Mike

I love German food. Can't get enough of it. Bavaria is my favorite. Augistiner Beer is the best. <BR><BR>Some people love MCDonald's. Go for it.<BR><BR>

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:31 PM
anne

I thought the Southern area, ie: Meersburg ,had some of the best German food. However there truly was a Swiss/french influence ginven the proximity .<BR>One can have fresh fish from the Bodensee with the lightest and most delicious sauces(sort of french).<BR>I know you mentioned the Mosel region sorry. Oh if you are in Cochem do not eat at the Burg Hotel. Not good. But the hotel is fabulous! very eclectic with an asortment of antique weapons, etc..<BR>Have a drink on the balcony that overlooks the river! The Inn keepers are a blast.

Old Sep 26th, 2002, 06:35 PM
mark

in the October issue of Gourmet there is an article about the food and restaurants in the Baden area - very enlightening.

Old Sep 27th, 2002, 05:05 AM
topper

upping<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -