Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Good, 3-4 star B & B near Giverny, France?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an experience with a B&B near Giverny? We are hoping to spend 8 nights there, rent a car and use train when available to do day trips into Paris a day or two and into Normandy and Brittany. The emphasis will be countryside sites as Paris has been seen to some extent and want something different this time, for the most part.

Please give good and bad experiences, as we are trying to narrow down the search.

Pluses would be a frig/micro in room (not mandatory, but desirable), and English speaking, helpful hosts, nice grounds and decor.

Belle
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 07:09 PM

gite rural de manitot, [email protected]
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 08:42 PM

Have you taken a look at the Giverny web site yet? http://giverny.org/gardens/

scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see different accommodations listed such as B&B

In my research, Le Clos Fleuri was my pick. Unfortunately, we ended up spending our entire time in Paris and just daytripped to Giverny. It is a very quiet area.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:31 AM

No experience, but the Rivages guide, which we have used with very good results, lists only one bed and breakfast anywhere near Giverny:

http://giverny.org/hotels/brunet/

Looks palatial.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Dave: ...and a wonderful appearing one that is! Thanks, we have seen that info and there are several others that we have info on, but not MANY. We are considering this one, but would like personal recommedations, if anyone has had a good experience in one.

http://www.leclosdefay.com/rooms.htm

Belle
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:22 AM

Are you sure you want to spend 8 nights near Giverney? Wouldn't it make more sense to spend the time in Normandy or Brittany and just visit Giverney on the way there from Paris?

Just wondering.......
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 08:48 AM

I'd suggest staying instead in les Andelys at La Chaîne d'Or hotel/restaurant. It's a charming place, and the food is terrific. The small town is interesting to wander in, and the hotel sits above a bank of the Seine--fine views from the upstairs rooms and the restaurant.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 09:01 AM

We stayed at Le Clos Fleuri for 3 nights in 2004 and although not luxurious it was very nice. The rooms are in a separate building from the main house and each one has its own private patio area looking out onto the lovely gardens. Rooms are very spacious with a sitting area and tea/coffee making facilites also plates and cutlery if you want to bring food in, there is a firdge/freezer available for communal use but I don't remember a microwave. Breakfast was taken in the house, Danielle is very helpful and she speaks perfect English having spent many years in Australia. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

St.Cirq; Yes, that the area we'd like to stay. Plan to do day trips to Paris (just a couple)and to Normandy and Brittany, as stated previously.

Please tell me why you'd stay in Normandy/Brittany instead...as it will make travel to Paris even further.
Can you make recommendations in these areas for reasonable accomodation? We've gotten estimates of about $500/wk included taxes (the complete total price).

Belle
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:38 PM
rex

Staying in/near Giverny for "day trips to Normandy and Brittany" is like staying in Baltimore day trips in Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:45 PM

Before going any further I'd suggest you buy the Michelin maps of Normandy and Brittany so as to get an idea of distances. A day trip from Giverny to Brittany is a considerable drive just one way; I don't think you can reasonably do just day trips unless you want to spend most of the day in the car or the train.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 03:51 PM

OSB:

Rex and Underhill have expanded on my reasons for asking. I just question the merits of spending a full week in a relatively boring spot that will require hours of driving and training back and forth to the places it seems you are most intent on visiting when you could just 1) visit Paris for a few days, 2) drive to Giverny and visit it, and 3) continue to Normandy and Brittany for however much time you want to visit.

It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 04:54 PM

Why don't you split your time up, say 3 nights in Giverny and then move onto Britanny/Normandy and pick a base to stay for the remaining 5 nights. Giverny is a tiny village and once you have visited Monet's garden and the American Museum there is not much else to see. Also to get a train into Paris you will need to drive about 4 kms into Vernon and then find secure parking for the day. Rouen is an easy daydrip from Giverny, plenty of parking buildings and an interesting city to visit.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

I will confess now. I posted this thread for my sis, who tried to register 2 days ago, at my urging, since she wanted help,but she still has yet to receive comfirmation. She's eager to get on with her plans, and asked my help. I just thought it would be less complicated if I just skipped the 'sis wants this and that'.

I. tend to go with sage advice (this board's). I have sent her your responses via copy/paste tonight. Thank you very much! I hope you are not offended by my posting for my sis.

If you have further comments, please continue!

Belle
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
there's no reason why your sister can't travel from that area, if that's her choice. Every poster thinks their choices are the best.
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 05:22 PM

http://www.innsite.com/frameset_inns...efCode=B011909
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta: Yes, of course, and she does make up her own mind, but she is tired and alittle frustrated at present.

Did you stay at this link you provided? We 've seen it, but had few personal recommendations on anyplace in particular.

Belle
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

cigalechanta: Sis tells me she liked the Liacs, but they were booked for the time she needs (May).

Belle
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:40 PM

I found this that I was considering, very simple not 3-4 stars.
http://giverny.org/hotels/pain/
Old Jan 18th, 2006, 06:47 PM

and this an upscale one.

http://www.givernymoulin.com/pages/x_accueil_apag.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -