Reload this Page >

Gondala Rides in Venice?

Search

Gondala Rides in Venice?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:13 PM
Jon

Gondala Rides in Venice?

Will be in Venice as part of my Honeymoon and feel like a Gondala ride is a must. I've been reading that that the drivers (rowers?)will literally take you for a ride on the fare if you're not careful. How will I know what a reasonable price is?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:24 PM

topping cause I'd love this info!<BR>

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:32 PM
Handmaiden of Fodor

Jon, why are you wasting valuable space on the board by posting TWO messages on the same subject matter? You could have combined both questions on the gondola ride and speaking Italian on the same post. We will have no more of this.<BR><BR>The Handmaiden of Fodor has spoken. Do not incur her wrath.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:39 PM
grouper

You can get a really good deal if you're willing to share the gondola w. other couples.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:57 PM
Jon

Great point Handmaiden. It's my first time posting a message on this site and I should have realized that Gondala rides and speaking Italian are the exact same subject! In addition, my 2 questions would have been much shorter if I typed them end to end instead of seperately. Please...impart more of your wisdom.<BR><BR>Just looking for helpful input.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:31 PM
neni

PERFECT, gondola ride is perfect but take the SHORT ride, its better because you do not go to the sea, only to the canals.<BR><BR>My husband and I had our honeymoon there and the gondola ride is so romantic, be prepare to offer less money, the gondolier will negociate... they have different price at night or day

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:13 PM
Melissa

I guess it depends on what kind of gondola you are hiring....some have singers, others do not. When my family went to Venice 2 years ago, our gondolier gave us his basic tour, PLUS took a detour to help my sister run an errand, PLUS took us out for a drink after the ride. I can't remember the exact price, but my sister said it was standard, and the extras made it exceptional.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:25 AM
Jeanine

My husband and I just returned from 2 fabulous weeks in Italy. We spent 3 days in Venice and took a Gondola ride by ourselves. The first morning we were out we talked to different gondoliers and here is what we found:<BR>If you walk up to one and get an explanation of price and ride and then walk away, another will run after you and offer the same ride for less money. We did this a few times at a few different gondola spots in Venice just to get a feel for prices, rides, etc. The next morning we got up early (it was a Saturday) and headed to the gondoliers near San Marco and did the same. We asked one and said what can you do for E60? They said there could not be a ride so we walked away. Another ran up to us, again we asked what can he do for E60 and he said nothing. Finally, a third chased us over the bridge and my husband said all I have is E60 and some change (total E65). The gondolier finally agreed to E65 for a 45 min ride thru the canals and we skirted the Grand Canal to see Rialto. The ride lasted an hour and it was fantastic, he told us about Venice, sang Italian songs and American rock & roll. It was worth every penny of the E65 for the early morning, relaxing ride with Marco.<BR>Finally, be prepared as to what you want to spend for the gondola and only have that cash in your pocket. Show them nothing else. They will offer to take US$ or show you where an ATM is, do not fold to the pressure. The negotiation is part of the fun. If you want to know anything else, just email me. Congrats & Enjoy!

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:37 PM
Jon

Thanks for the insight everyone! Arrivederci!