Reload this Page >

GOLFERS! Need course recommendations in SW Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Meg

Hello, I'll be staying on Bantry Bay in mid-to-late May. Some members of our group are big golfers and would like to hear some personal recommendations on courses in Kerry & Cork. They would love to play some of the well-known places like Ballybunion, Old Head & Waterville but can anyone suggest some lesser known courses that you found wonderful (although I'd still like to hear your thoughts on the "big" courses)? They will probably do 2 days dedicated to golf, and the other days try to sneak in at least 9-holes early before sight-seeing with the rest of our crew.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:38 PM
Cathy

Meg, <BR>Check with the Irish Tourist Board for a list of golf clubs that accept visitors - just be warned that it may be easier to get some tee time in Sept. than in May. www.ireland.travel.ie has a link to golfing holidays etc, <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 02:43 PM
michael

killarney an inland course course is very nice. also not too far is lahinch which is very charming. ballybunion is outstanding and very challenging. might want to also get some info on tralee.

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 05:45 PM
Tom

In 1995 we stayed at a B&B owned by the head groundskeeper of Tralee that was designed by Arnold Palmer. He also got us tee times at Ballybunion. If you want the info email me and I will dig it out. Regards - Tom

Old Mar 10th, 2001, 05:46 PM
Tom

Sorry this is the correct address.

Old Mar 16th, 2001, 09:39 PM
Deborah

I've been researching for our trip to the sw in July. There are nice lists on several sites: kerry-insight.com/golf, killarney-golf.com, lakehotel.com/golf-page.htm. The last list posts green fees as well as a map.

Old Mar 17th, 2001, 02:53 PM
Kathy

Depending on what hotel you're staying in they might be able to get you tee times and recommend courses. We'll be there in July and Ballybunion was totally booked. We were able to get a time and caddy at Tralee. You might also check the Ireland's travel web site as some of the courses are currently closed due to H&M disease.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Katey

Hi ya <BR>go to http://www.ireland.travel.ie It has a great section on golf courses in Ireland. It lists golf courses in every corner of Ireland and indicates size, green fees, golf course facilities, nearby attractions, contact names and numbers etc. Definitely worth a look for any keen golfer <BR> <BR>good luck

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 11:17 AM
Kim

Some golf courses in Ireland do not permit spiked golf shoes. Ask before you go.