"golf widow"

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:01 AM
fran

"golf widow"

am planning to accompany my golf playing husband to Scotland early October and would like suggestions on things to do in and around St. Andrews and also Gleneagles Hotel in Perthshire. Also any suggestions for first class high-end restaurants in those areas as well as Edinburgh.

Old Aug 6th, 2001, 08:10 AM
janis

There have been a couple of other threads about this so you may find lots of info if you do a search. <BR> <BR>There are many, many things to do in/around St Andrews. A few: Falkland Palace, Hill of Tarvitt House, Glamis Castle (especially if they are also playing Carnoustie since it isn't far from there), the East Neuk fishing villages (Crail, Anstruther, Pittenweem, etc.), A 1/2 day boat trip to the Isle of May for birds and old light houses. Plus all of St Andrews (Castle, Cathedral, University, Shopping). As for gourmet dining near St Andrews - definitely go to Peat Inn. On eof the best restaurants in the whole country. It is in the country about 10 miles southwest of St Andrews -- but you need to book well ahead. <BR> <BR>Near (or not too far) Gleneagles: Stirling (Castle), Crieff (whisky distillery, Perthshire Paperweights, Stuart Crystal), and lts of great scenery (Loch Earn, Loch Tay, etc.) Plus the hotel is magnificent and there is a riding academy attached.

Old Aug 7th, 2001, 08:16 PM
janis

Fran - next time please top your own message. I know there is another (3rd) thread lurking somewhere but since no one else offered many useful suggestions, I went diving for this one. If you can find your first attempt, there are some other ideas posted there.

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:28 AM
tom

Old Aug 8th, 2001, 06:44 AM
xxx

This is the 3rd (at least) thread Fran has posted with the same question with no evidence she has ever returned to check the responses. Maybe she just doesn't know how the board works - - - -

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 03:38 AM
Sheila

Fran <BR> <BR>there is masses to do in and around both places. If you want to let us know what you enjoy doing, we'll make some suggestions. <BR> <BR>The best restaurant in Scotland (some would say) is the Peat Inn, as you've been advised elsewhere. It's about 6 miles from St Andrews. A good second, but not in the same league, is the Ostler's Close in Cupar. <BR> <BR>Near Gleneagles, apart from Gleneagles itself, there's Auchterarder House and that's it. <BR> <BR>In Edinburgh, there are some very overrated places, but the best are probably the Atrium, Martin Wishart's, the Marque, and Martin's.