Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

GOLF - Are shorts allowed on courses in Europe?

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Judith

We haven't selected the course to play in France but need to know if shorts are allowed on the courses or if long pants are required.

I'm assuming collars on shirts are required like in the states?? True??
Thank you in advance for your help.

Mar 26th, 2001, 02:37 PM
Alec

In UK and Europe, in warmer weather shorts are allowed, provided you wear knee-length socks. Shirts with collars are required. Many courses ban shoes with metal spikes - soft studs only.

Mar 26th, 2001, 07:02 PM
steve

In 1970 my father had to come back from the course at Baden-Baden to change from shorts into pants. It was especially galling since he was the only one on the course which was only one level up from a cow pasture

Mar 26th, 2001, 07:06 PM
StCirq

My husband plays with some regularity on golf courses in the Dordogne. The dress code ranges from anything goes to pants and collared shirts, with the price range (high) commensurate. I'd be prepared for anything- including the fact that many golf courses double as pastures and thus have their share of "pies" to get around.

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:18 AM
Mike

Played one of those pastures once - sheep on the course!

Ninth tee, blind drive over hill. Topped it a bit, but straight. See ball shooting low over ground, straight into backside of ruminant sheep. Oh no, what have I done?

Nothing apparently. Sheep raises his head, thoughtfully munching, and ball drops from the matted fleece.

And then, about three seconds later, the sheep suddenly bolts off, 0 to 60 in 3.4 seconds, right off the course and out of sight.

There's a schoolteacher several hundred miles away, still asking "anybody know who this sheep belongs to?" And, yes, I played another ball.

I wasn't wearing shorts, though. Usually it's ok.

Mar 27th, 2001, 11:37 AM
Judith

Thank you ALL for the great info (and golf story). Really helps with the planning!
Judith