Golden Pass, Panoramic or Classic?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Switzerland during the Christmas Holidays and will be taking the Golden Pass from Montreaux to Interlaken. Has anyone been on both the Panoramic and Classic and what is the difference between the two? Comfort, Visibility? Amenities? Does taking an earlier train, rather than a midday train help with visibility?
Old May 6th, 2010, 09:48 PM

Hi Travelbound44,

There are lots of regular trains that run over the very same tracks, so your choice is even broader: Panormaic, Classic, and regular! I don't know if you've found the Swiss rail site, but it's at

www.rail.ch

To get the GP route, use:

From Montreux

To Interlaken

Via Zweisimmen

Anyway, the Panorama wagons have big windows. The Classic cars have Belle Epoque interiors. Here are photos

Classic
http://www.goldenpass.ch/goldenpass_..._zweisimmen_en

Panoramic
http://www.goldenpass.ch/goldenpass_..._zweisimmen_en

Have fun!

s
Old May 7th, 2010, 07:45 AM

The "Panoramic" is just that - has large windows, with some window in the side of the roof, and the VIP seats in the first row of First class are actually in front of the driver and provide a unique and exciting ride. IF you plan to travel First class it is well worth the 15frs additional if you can book these seats...but there is a second row of seats right behind them that also costs 15frs/seat extra and these are not nearly as great. I would not pay extra for the second row... You can book the seats on the Golden Pass site, charge the reservation to your credit card and then buy your ticket at the station on the day of travel.

The "Classic" is an old car, renovated. Very "plush" with lots of wood. Lovely for train buffs but in my book not a patch on the Panoramic first row seats.

The "normal" cars provide the same views of course and are just that. A normal train.

There is no Dining car on the Panoramic but there is bar service in the front First class coach and the attendant will bring drinks to you seat in that coach.
Old May 7th, 2010, 08:18 AM

Panoramic seats i am told swivel so you do not have to get a sore neck turning to follow the changing scenery.
Old May 7th, 2010, 10:59 AM

Hambagahle - please - are the VIP seats on trains on each of the three sections of the Golden Pass?

I am under the impression they are only on the Montreux-Zweisimmen portion - as tracks from Zweisimmen to Interlaken-Ost are wider-gauged than the narrow-gauged portions Montreux to Zweisimmen and from Interlaken-Ost to Lucerne everyone has to change trains twice if going straight thru

Plans have been floated to put a third rail on the wide gauge section i believe so that thru running with the same train sets could be done all the way Lucerne-Interlaken-Montreux

So i wonder if i am wrong in thinking the VIP and swivel seats are only on the first portion, Montreux to Zweisimmen - the stretch over which the former Panoramic Express once rolled over before being re-labeled the Golden Pass and extended to Interlaken and Lucerne.
Old May 7th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your quick lessons. The pictures really helped. If we can get the 1st row VIP seats, that will be our decision.
Old May 11th, 2010, 12:32 PM

there are VIP seats on the front and on the back of the train - i'd try for those in the front rather than watching the tracks from the back - though that would still be cool!