Reload this Page >

Going to Rome!-Last minute Advise?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 08:45 AM
Lorenzo Lamanna

My wife son and two year old are leaving in a few weeks! Any one out there just get back with information on the Jubilee festivities. Anything shut down?...Is rome prepared for the crush of people or is it chaos. Thanks in advance!!!!

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:18 AM
Carol

Hi Lorenzo, <BR>We were in Rome until 31st May. We didn't find it over crowded, no chaos, no huge queues, no gypseys, no problems at all. I guess there will be more people when you go, but don't think there are as many people for the Jubilee as was expected. Have a great trip : )

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:25 AM
mike

We were in Rome over the 4th. It was very hot. Many stores close down from 12 or so to 3:30 or so. We found a local alimentary (small shop) and picked up bottles of water and soda, cookies and the like and carried them around. Throughout Rome their are fountains with running water; we used them often to fill up the bottles. It was crowded at the Vatican and the Sistine Chapel. Get there early. Make sure have pants and shoulders are covered. In some places strollers were not permitted. If you have specific questions, I'll try to respond.

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 01:56 PM
Amy

From the place I've been to in Europe, none of the hotels have washcloths. I havn't been to Italy yet (will be sometime in the next 2 yrs. I'm living in Germany), but I'm sure they'll be like the other hotels! Just bring them along if you would like to use them!!

Old Jul 12th, 2000, 10:51 PM
gb

I was in Rome last month. The only place that lines were a problem were at the Sistene Chapel. You, as other posters have mentioned, be there in line an hour before the official opening. Even with that, many tour buses enter early. We were near the front of the regular line, and took the long walk to the Chapel first. Then, came back down through the bookstore, and viewed the some of the remainder of the museum until it got very crowded. (about 1 1/2 hours). When we left the musuem, the line stretch all around the wall, and across the street toward St. Peter's-about 1/2 to 3/4 mile! I think the people at the end of the line had to wait several hours to get in. Go early, bring you breakfast, and enjoy the wait before the sun is hot. <BR>The traffic is chaotic, but I think that is typical anytime. We learned how to enter the crosswalks, stare at the drivers, and they must stop or lose their licenses.( That was great fun!-it works) Motor Scooters and buses do not have to stop at red lights. We took the students tour at the Coliseum and The Forum. Coliseum was free as a promotion for their other tours. Look for Luke-he was great. Gypsies were not too much of a problem, except maybe on the subway. Be prepared for heat-it was ot in June, but bearable. August will be tough. We loved Rome even with all the noise. The US dollar has a great exchange rate going.

Old Jul 15th, 2000, 04:54 PM
frank Keller

Lorenzo, Just returned from Rome. Hot, but not unbearable. Crowded, but that is to be expected in a jubilee year, no less at this time of year. Never thought I would see a city with more traffic than NYC. One suggestion, the St. Peters excavation office (Scavi office) offers private tours of the excavations under St Peter's. It is well worth the small fee they charge. You get to see what is believed to be St Peters tomb and an ongoing excavation. Good Luck Frank

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 04:27 AM
Sera

Frank: How did you get on the Scavi tour? where do you inquire? Thanks!

Old Jul 16th, 2000, 04:44 AM
Diann

We arrived at the Vatican Museum at about 11 am July 5 and pretty much walked right in, only waiting five or ten minutes to purchase tickets inside. It was crowded but the crowds kept moving; the same was true at St. Peter's which we visited later. Definately go downstairs to see Peter's tomb and those of the popes, and if you can, climb to the pinnacle!! I saw young children being carried in back packs, which allowed more mobility on the parent's part, if you can stand the weight... Visit the Borghese Gardens with your child for a cool break, although this week the temps in Rome have been cooler and maybe you will luck out!! Being from New England, I actually enjoy bonafide hot weather because often it seems we don't have enough summer here to suit me.