Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Portugal, should I see Morocco too?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:21 AM
Indy

Hi there,<BR><BR>Spending 2 weeks driving thru Portugal from Porto thru Lisbon down to the Algarve. Should we check out Morocco for a few days too? ANY recommendations are appreciated, thanks.<BR><BR>Indy

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:17 AM
Howard

hey, Morocco or not? Please advise.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Julie

If you can - spend a day or two in Fez and/or Marrakech and check out the walled in cities which are amazing for sightseeing and shopping and photo ops. The scenery is wonderful - like something out of a movie. I spent a couple days in Rabat and Casablanca as well and wasn't all that thrilled with either of them. Both were very crowded big concrete cites - nothing exotic about them compared to the rest of Morocco which I loved.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:39 AM
www.tourist-in-portugal.web.pt

Hi there. It is very easy to get to Morocco departing from Lisbon. There are two daily flights from Lisbon to Casablanca, and the flight is only 2 hours (aprox). I went a couple of years to Marrakesh, and it took 2,30 hours flight, and it seemed I have made a sort of "quantic leap" into the past. Everything is very very different (the clothing, the people, the smells, the tastes, the...everything) It is completely different (I live in Lisbon). If you feel like spending a weekend there, there are several travel agencies packages that can help you.<BR>If, on the other hand, you are thinking on driving there, then you have to go to southern Spain, 'cause there are no ferry boat connections from Portugal to Morocco.<BR>In conclusion...If I could...I would.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:15 AM
Sarah

Morrocco is really amazing, but be prepared for a huge culture shock. Tangiers is awful - we were threatened and blackmailed - so it is worth getting out of it asap. Have currency before you get there! Fez and Marrekch are pretty cool. Fez is very old world - lots of hidden alleys. Marrekch is more cultural - great artefacts etc. If I were to go again, I'd head to the High Atlas - the nature seemed like it would be amaxing. Be aware that travelling in Morocco is hard work - you have to constantly be alert - people try constantly to rip you off. I'd also be careful of what is happening in the middle east at the moment - we had lots of people try to talk to us about Israel and American policy - and that was in 2001. Be sensitive to Muslims - and be prepared to be hassled even if you are culturally sensitive because there is a good chance of being stereotyped. Be particularly aware if you are travelling with a woman.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:16 AM
snorkelman

. I suggest the towns of Fez, Rabat and Marrakesh, Chefchaouen, and skipping Casablanca and Tangier.<BR>Bargaining is a way of life. Expect to be charged 2 to 3 times the actual price for something bought from a salesperson. Offer ½ and walk away.<BR>Knowing French, or Arabic is a big plus, and Spanish helps some in Tangier. If you speak one of these languages, (especially French), wait until there are no English speaking people in the shop before beginning to discuss prices, because the prices quoted to English-speakers are the highest. <BR><BR>Tangier – This place sucks. If you only have time to visit this city in Morocco, don’t even bother, as it will ruin your impression of the country. This is NOT the type of place that you should visit as a day trip just to say that you have been to Africa – lots of crime (highest crime rate in Morocco) and beggers (Almsgiving is one of the five tenets of Islam, but there are also plenty of professional beggers). The street vendors are particularly annoying, and extremely persistent.<BR>There are also a lot of fake guides, who will rip you off. Also plenty of people will offer to help you out, and then expect a tip in return. Also you will be hounded to buy everything under the sun and you will not see many backpackers. I certainly would advise against a female traveling alone in Tangier. Not far away from Tangier is the beautiful city of Chefchaouen.<BR><BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Practical

I personally think Portugal should be one trip and Morocco another. If you spend only one week in each, you will miss a lot.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 05:40 AM
elvira

Tangier is a nightmare; Casablanca is a nice big city but can be skipped on a short trip.<BR><BR>If you are planning 3 days, then stay in Marrakech; there is more than enough to see and do. You can arrange for a guide through your hotel or the tourist office (licensed guides, not the touts you find - or find you - at the train and ferry stations), and s/he can arrange for a daytrip outside the city.<BR><BR>If you have two weeks, then Fez, Meknes (and Volubilis), Chefchouan, Ourzazate, Tetouen, Rabat....and a camel trek into the Sahara.<BR>

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 12:24 PM
Indy

Hey,<BR>Just wanted to thank EVERYONE for replying to my message.<BR>Cheers,<BR>Indy.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:27 PM
Indy

Hi, can Portugal AND Morocco be seen in 2 weeks? Still wondering. Please reply, thanks.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 05:47 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Indy, You cannot see Portugal in 2 weeks. Spend you time there and try to include the Minho area, staying in Viano do Castello as your base. I would plan 4 base locations of 3 days each and truly see amazing Portugal.Have fun!