Reload this Page >

going to paris in august what should i pack

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 05:54 PM
wendy

<BR>i don't want to look like a tourist what kinds of clothes should pack?

Old Jul 18th, 1999, 08:41 PM
lynn

Greetings - <BR> <BR>You can run a search of this site for lots of info on clothes. My opinion is as follows... <BR> <BR>It will most likely be warm so keep that in mind. When I was there last September (end of the month), it was 78 degree (F) several of the days. However, I recommend against shorts. If you really don't want to stick out, don't wear shorts. Keep your choices more on the conservative side and keep colors more to the black, brown, navy, tan, cream, and white. When I go to Paris, I use this basics and then take along a few scarves for color. In August it might be too hot for this but they don't take up much room. <BR> <BR>Bring a small, light umbrella in case it rains. Many will suggest a light rain coat but me, I say just stick with the umbrella and don't worry about carrying around a coat you probably won't use. If it rains that hard just spend the day in the Louvre, Orsay, and at cafes. <BR> <BR>When we went this past April, it rained a little but it was always short-lived. Never did it rain long. Usually just short bursts of 10-20 minutes. <BR> <BR>Also, wear dark shoes. Even if you wear tennis shoes, wear black ones. Also, take a black or dark purse. It might sound funny but I can't tell you how many pictures I've looked at which would be great except someone is holding a really bright bag or something and you eye just goes right for it. You get distracted from the real shot of Notre Dame, Eiffel Tower, etc. <BR> <BR>One of my typical Paris outfits? Black walking shoes, black belt, white shirt/blouse, blue/red/purple scarf, and simple jewelry, if any. Jacket, if I have one, black. <BR> <BR>We like to go to the market at Vanves (sp?) so I usually down-play the jewelry (and I'm a jewelry freak.) It doesn't look good to be asking for 1/2 price in your best gems and gold. Besides, I'm afraid of losing it. On our first trip I did lose one of my earrings on top of the Eiffel (it was windy) but I didn't care because they were just basic and nothing special. <BR> <BR>Also, skip the fannypack if you can, these usually scream tourist. <BR> <BR>Let me know if you have any other questions. <BR> <BR

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 06:05 AM
Karen

Wendy, <BR> <BR>I just returned from London and Paris, and agree with most of Lynn's advice. Keep in mind, though, that during the summer Paris is packed with tourists-many wearing shorts, tennis shoes and packs! Be comfortable during the day, but definitely turn to black in the evening. <BR> <BR>My sister and her husband lived in Paris for several years, so we were treated to restaurants where we were the only "tourists". A smart, but not too dressy, outfit in the colors Lynn mentioned will serve you well in almost any restaurant. <BR> <BR>Have a wonderful trip!

Old Jul 19th, 1999, 06:12 AM
g

Just curious... can anyone speculate as to why black is apparently de rigeur in France? is everyone on their way to or from a funeral?

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 02:33 PM
Steve

Wendy - I wouldn't worry too much about looking like a tourist. If you're standing in line at the Lourve with your guidebook in hand or at the Eiffel Tower with your Nikon strapped around your neck, chances are good you're a tourist no matter how conservativley you are dressed. Take as few clothes as possible, backpacks are OK (my wife and I over 40 and still use them all over Europe), and so are long shorts. Darker colors are better becuase they don't show dirt as much. Comfortable shoes are more important, I feel, than their color. <BR>For nicer restaurants and evenings, shorts probably may stick out. However, just remember to be comfortable and pleasant, smile, and learn a few French phrases. You'll do fine.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 06:40 PM
lynn

Me again. <BR> <BR>I just wanted to pipe back about the "looking like a tourist" question. <BR> <BR>Everybody has their own opinion and quite a few on this forum don't mind looking like what they are. That's fine. We all need to do what we feel is right for us. <BR> <BR>Myself, I don't like "obviously" looking like a tourist if I can do something about it. I believe if you are dressed comfortably and to "fit in" you are less likely to be a theft target. Also, if you are dressed to "fit in" you won't feel as if you're sticking out like a sore thumb. In addition, if you're not sure what you'll be visiting, it's better to be dressed conservatively for some cathedrals and religous sites. <BR> <BR>Several people on this site mention their experiences about feeling uncomfortable in shorts or bright, colorful sundresses. Or being turned away from a church because their shoulders were exposed. <BR> <BR>Because we are all different, I'm sure it isn't true for everyone but I would feel out of joint if I were walking around Paris in shorts or a really bright sundress. IMO, they just don't quite fit with the rest of the environment. <BR> <BR>I live in So. Cal. so I wear LOTS of shorts! Casual is the name of the game in L.A. However, when on the road, I leave them at home and always dress more conservatively. <BR> <BR>Note: Please don't walk around with your camera around your neck. That would be a bad move!! <BR> <BR

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 09:53 AM
Martha B

It occurs to me that this disagreement over what to wear never gets settled because people treat Paris in more than one way. If your objective is to see the sights, and you only want to get from the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower as quickly as possible, then by all means wear shorts. At the Eiffel Tower, everyone's a tourist. Even the Parisians there are playing tourist for the day. <BR>If your objective is more to see the city itself than any particular tourist attraction, if your aim is strolling, window shopping, stopping at a sidewalk cafe for a Perrier menthe (ordered in French, of course!) then take Lynn's advice. When you're blending in with the city in other ways, dressing in shorts will definitely cramp your style. <BR>It must be obvious that my own preference is for strolling and sidewalk-cafe-sitting, but that doesn't mean hitting the Must-Sees Spots is wrong. It's just a matter of deciding what your goals are, and dressing appropriately for them.

Old Jul 23rd, 1999, 08:49 AM
Christina

I think Martha has described the real issue. It isn't really the case that that French/Europeans don't wear shorts; of course they do on vacation or at a resort or on casual occasions or weekends--just try visiting some resort/tourist town in France to see (ie, Honfleur or Strasbourg). They just don't wear them during the day in the city when going to work, etc., so if you are seeing those kind of Parisians while you are a tourist there you might get that idea. You'll find many French and other European tourists in Paris visiting tourist sites and believe me, tons of them are wearing shorts and athletic-type shoes, also. If you are visiting the Eiffel Tower or the souvenir shops on rue de Rivoli and around Notre Dame, there is no question you are probably a tourist regardless of what you're wearing. So, I think the relevant factor may be what to wear in the evening or for dinner, and then you should dress the way you usually do when doing that kind of thing. Basically, you can go anywhere dressed about any way now and you won't get kicked out (maybe fancy restaurants, but I'm thinking of more public places like the opera), but I find it very distasteful when people dress in jeans or other very casual clothes in the evening at the ballet or opera. Some do, though, and they don't care what they look like, but to me that takes away from the pleasure of the event for yourself, also. I don't care if you are a tourist, certainly you can go back to your hotel and change into a simple skirt and decent shoes if you are going to the opera or ballet in the evening. I think the black stuff is over-exaggerated, also. I don't think they wear black in Paris any more than in any large urban city (like NY, London, San Francisco, Chicago or Washington DC), that's mainly a cosmopolitan/urban issue vs small town/US Southern or Midwest thing. Darker colors just don't show dirt as much, which is important in any big city, and you don't get tired of them as easily as other colors and they are easier to mix with other garments' colors.

Old Jul 25th, 1999, 11:04 AM
Thomas Nastos

What's wrong with being a tourist and looking like one. How does one look like a tourist? Ill've been going to Paris for 20 years with only a carry on and the minimum that I can keep clean. You won't know anyone and they won't know you. Just dress as you would in your home town. Of course if you go to fancy places dress accordingly. Sometimes I even wear a beret for a giggle. Paris is so great (altho it is changing) just enjoy it, see the touristy things and walk around a lot to find a niche you'd like to return to again and again. Au revoir.