Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Normandy and Tuscany - Logistical Help Needed

Old Dec 10th, 2008, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I have been discussing a trip for next September. We couldn't decide between returning to Tuscany or going to Normandy for the first time so we decided to look into doing both in one trip. We would have one week for each and would probably fly into Paris or Rome and fly out of the other. My question is: what is the most convenient option for travel between Normandy and Tuscany. Is it a plane flight between Paris and Rome or are there better options? We have never done a flight between European cities except as a leg of longer trip so wondering about lower cost options on some of the European airlines - Ryan Air or others. Feasible?
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 02:26 PM

Personally, I'd fly between the two. You can take a train from rome to milan and connect on to Paris. it takes 11+hours and the cost in january is $180. You may find a smaller airline that will cost less and be less $$. You'll need a car in Normandy - I'd recommend staying in Bayeux; we were there for a week, stayed at Lion D'Or and ran out of time to see everything we wanted to do. You can take a train to Caen and pick up a car there but its an easy drive from Paris and you could stop at Giverny on the way. We loved both Normandy and Tuscany - you'll have a great time I'm sure.
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 07:23 PM

BoulderCO,
See http://www.whichbudget.com./

Henry
Old Dec 10th, 2008, 09:14 PM

You really need to fly between Paris and Pisa, rather than Rome. There are flights from Paris to Florence, but they're generally fewer, pricier and less convenient for hiring a car and driving off to rural Tuscany than Pisa.

Don't waste time with whichbudget, which limits itself to an arbitrary selection of low-spec airlines. Check who flies the route using the Florence and Pisa airport websites, then check prices for the day you want to travel. Never assume Ryanair will be cheaper than legacy airlines like Air France. It often is - but not always
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Easy Jet has flights Paris Orly to Pisa under $100 per person for most of September, but you have to be careful about check-in times and luggage allowance.
Old Dec 11th, 2008, 06:35 AM

Check Air Berlin as well - they fly from Rome to Paris.