going to Madrid in 3days!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am flying to Madrid January 6th for a month. just to check it out amd take Spanish lessons. would appriciate any helpful info. and I could not get Anabel's address soooo if anyone has her files please,please mail it to me

Nadre

[email protected]
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:00 AM

we went this past May..hmm. Best food was in the gay district,sorry cant remember the name,but anyone will know.Great food,other than that didnt like the food at all.Only found vegetables and salad in this area!!!
Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:18 AM
Maira

The previous poster may be referring to the Chueca District, a lively, but kind of dangerous neighborhood at night. If you happen to go to a restaurant in the area, which many raved about, take a taxi if nightime. Just precautionary advice. Around that neighborhood, however, there is every Sunday morning a flea market known as "El Rastro". Worth putting your Spanish skills to the test!

Also, you prpbably know that Jan 6 is a National Holiday in Spain, so most bank establishments may be close, make sure you have some Euros with you upon arrival regardless (there is always the ATM route; just in case).

Also, you may be referring to Maribel's file. I don't have it, but many do, so you may want to confirm if indeed, you are referring to Maribel and somebody may be glad to forward it.

Que gozes con los Españoles!!

Old Jan 3rd, 2004, 09:41 AM

Keep a very close watch on your valuables at all time - better yet, don't carry them with you (just carry enough cash for the day, and lock everything else up). Madrid is the worst European city I've encountered so far in terms of pickpockets (not violent crime, just pickpockets). But it's also very friendly and lively.

Be sure to visit La Casa de Abuelo (I, II and III). These are three tapas bars, with slightly different menus.
Old Jan 4th, 2004, 01:16 PM

Hello! You'll soon find your whereabouts, the city centre is not so big, but it is a good idea to buy a weekly guide called "Guía del ocio" where you will find addresses and timetables for cinemas, museums, concerts, restaurants, pubs etc. You can get it at any newspaper kiosk.

Some places that I think you could enjoy:

Going to one of the small "cafe teatros" like Galileo Galilei or Clamores, where the entrance is cheap and you can see concerts, stand comedy or other kind of shows in a very friendly and relaxed atmosphere. Suristan for music of the world.

Having a battered squid sandwich in the Plaza Mayor!(if you like squid), or fried sardines and peppers in the area of the Sunday market.

Have a drink in the cafe of the Español Theatre at night (Plaza Santa Ana)candles... A walk around the Plaza at night, great!

Circulo de Bellas Artes is another beautiful cafe, something different, in Calle de Alcalá.

Coffee and cake ( tarta de yema is my favourite) in the Mallorquina cafe (Puerta del Sol), if you can make it to the stairs there are tables on the first floor.

Disco: Palacio de Gaviria, a disco inside a palace).

Cheap cinema tickets and films from all times: la Filmoteca, (Anton Martin Underground).

Restaurant "Vitamina" ,good value for money, there's one in Gran Via street and another in Chinchilla street, off Gran Via, with a salad bar buffet, a huge fresh fruit juice and a sandwich or hamburger for 6.5 Euros.

Not to miss one day trip to Toledo.

Well and so many more, have fun!

You can also check www.softdoc.es for good tips.

Old Jan 12th, 2004, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

than you so much spanish girl 2004!! tell me the metro station forgalieo also will be traveling to andalusia any tips

muchas gracias

nadre
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 02:39 AM

do you know what language organisation you are going to join? if you don't know, don quijote is a very good organisation. i study there spanish myself and i can really recommend don quijote. if you want to know more information, check their website:
http://www.spanishspain.com
Old Jan 13th, 2004, 02:46 AM

Do you mean Maribel's files? if yes, I now have them and could send to you?