Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Italy. Many, Many Questions. Please Help!!!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be going in 3 weeks to Italy (rome, venice, assisi, florence). I know it will be hot so I've purchased enough linen clothing. What I would like to know is the following:

-money exchange at airport or where else?
I won't be taking travelers checks only cash. Any money exchange places near sites??

-last summer while in Austria went to see the Vienna boys choir. Would love to go see a performance of such nature (concert or anything) in rome or venice. anyone knows of info. in concerts that could help ???

-We are planning on doing some walking at night. We would love to see the city at night. Is rome, florence, assisi or venice a safe place to do so? What places should I avoid?

-We are not wine drinkers,but would like to try it when in italy. Any recommendations of a light wine for first timers??

Your help will be greatly appreciated. MANY THANKS.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 09:33 AM

I can answer a couple of your questions. At the airport, right at the baggage claim carousels, there's an ATM machine. Best place to get cash as soon as you arrive.

Florence is in the heart of Chianti country. Even though you prefer "light" wine, you really should try it.

Above all, have a great trip!
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 09:34 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
WHAT... You are only going to take cash for a 3 week trip??? That's aLOTa cash. Why aren't you taking travelers checks? Or better yet an ATM card.

As far as wine, just try a glass or small pitcher of the "house" red or white in a sidewalk cafe or with your dinner.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

The 2 week trip will be in 3 weeks and I don't like taking travelers checks becuase the first and only time I did we wasted too much time looking for banks to cash checks and we were charged for doing so. ATM, well I've never tried to do so. I always take cash and never seem to have a problem. I am used to just exchanging money. Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:19 AM

If there's *any* unsafe place in which to walk in Venice at night, I sure haven't heard of it.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:27 AM

Put most of that cash in your checking account and make sure you have an ATM card that will work in Europe (ask your bank). While your bank may charge you a small fee for ATM withdrawals, if you get robbed of your cash, what will you do? A cash advance on a credit card is a LOT more expensive than ATM fees.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:47 AM

That's interesting because I too am comfortable carrying cash (which many people can't understand). But I would be nervous have only one way to get funds without a backup plan. Heaven forbid your stash-of-cash is lost or stolen. What happens then? Are you comfortable not having an emergency means of getting funds? Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing, just curious.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:50 AM

It is true that an ATM gives your best rate of exchange but if you really want to take cash avoid the airport cambios and change the money at a bank.

Also if you are an Amex holder there are Amex offices in most ciites.

I had a flat in Florence and it is very safe to walk there at night. I is a small, compact city and made for exploring on foot. The Opera House has many musical events in the summertime. You can email the concierge at your hotel and ask what is happening while you are there.

I have also never had a problem in Rome but after dark I stick to the more popular squares or Trastevere and Campo di Fiori. Rome is a big city so use the same common sense you would in any other. The gypsies can be a problem as well so be alert.

Venice is pretty at night but can be a maze if you do not know where you are going. Then again, getting lost is half the fun.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 11:34 AM

Just came back from Italy 1 month ago. It is already hot over there. Only travel with ATM bank card and credit card. Bank only let you take out not more than 250US per day. I would only take a few hundred dollars along and use ATM exclusively. I have never had problems any where in the world with that. Be sure you notify your bank and set it up before you go. Some bank need to have 6 or 4 digit numbers as the aacess code. Please make sure you have mosquito repelent. Lots of bugs in summer. No problem walking in Venice even very late. Rome-depends on the area. Florence - no problem. Some food needs a little wine to go with so do try a little and have a cup of expresso to clear your head if you are driving. Chianti landscape is out of this world.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the input!!! Now I am curious to finding out more about ATM use in Italy. I guess I am hesitant because I've had people tell me that they've had problems using atms in Italy and if it is my only source of money it scares me.
-One more thing, I would like to book a guided tour that takes you to of St. Peter's tomb (catacombs???). Please give me info.
-gold in florence. Where to go for best deals???
-purses sold by street vendors in florence. Good quality or not??? Any recommendations???
-Best place to buy a tablecloth???

Thanks to those who have responded. Your suggestions will sure help me have a more pleasant trip. Many thanks!!!
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 11:57 AM

I agree with most of the people about the ATM card. We have used it everywhere and have never had a problem. It really gives you a lot of freedom, because you can get your money when you need it. Also, there are ATM machines virtually everywhere. One caution, if you do decide to get a card from your bank, be sure it is a debit card and be sure that your pin has 4 digits. And one more thing, be sure you have 2 cards. We always take one "just in case". We've never needed it, but it makes us feel protected.

I don't know about a Boys Choir in Venice but there are music venues all around. Even in your hotel you will see many posters advertising the evening concerts. Music by Vivaldi is a particular favorite for Venice and do try to book in an old church where you will have an attractive area to sit.

You can try wine by the glass. Ask you waiter to bring you a white, or pink (rose) or red glass with your meal. You can try and see what you like. I noticed Italians watering down their wine with a bit of water at lunch time one day. I'm not sure if it was with gas (mineral) or plain, but it certainly would make it lighter! Experiment! And have a wonderful trip.
Carol
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 12:31 PM

If you are interested in the tour of St. Peter's tomb do a search for Scavi Tour You will get a lot of valuable info, including the website to make reservations. It is a must to have a reservation, especially during the busy summer season. A very limited number of people are permitted each day. We took the tour last year and found it to be very interesting.

Merchandise found in the street markets can vary wildly in quality; do a little research shopping before you go, particularly if you aren't familiar with prices for quality leather goods. You'll be better prepared to recognize a good buy when you find it.
The same recommendation is true for gold jewelry. Be sure you have an idea what a typical necklace, bracelet or earrings would cost here, then you are better prepared to buy. Be sure you are aware of the price range for 18 karat gold, as that is what you will mostly find in Italy.
Ask about musical events at your hotel in Venice or at a tourist information desk; many churches will have concerts.
Have a great trip!
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 12:47 PM

Hi Lauren, you wrote "I guess I am hesitant because I've had people tell me that they've had problems using atms in Italy and if it is my only source of money it scares me."

There's no reason that, if ATMs are your primary source of money, that they have to be your *only* source of money. You can rely on them and still bring some traveler's checks and/or cash to use as a backup.

Two years ago, when I was in Sorrento, none of the ATMs in town were working on the Saturday when we arrived but, providing for this possibility, we had brought some traveler's checks with us so we were fine.

Last year in Italy, for three weeks, we had no problem whatsoever using ATMs.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 01:06 PM
ira

Hi Laureny,

A quick primer on Italian wines:

Orivieto: a dry, white wine with light and mellow flavors of pears and apples with a pleasantly bitter after taste. Goes well with with all kind of fresh cheese, pasta and fish dishes

Lambrusco: a semi-dry, slightly fizzy wine with delicious, grapey flavors that goes well with almost anything.

Pinot Grigio: a light-bodied, dry, and crisp white wine. Goes very well with lighter meats and fowl, white pasta sauces and sea food.

Valpolicella: an intense ruby red colour and aromas of dried fruits. It goes well with meats and red sauces.

Frascati: a slightly off-dry, light-bodied, aromatic, un-oaked wine with crisp acidity and subdued flavor. Goes well with all kinds of seafood.

You might want to change about $200 at the airport when you leave so that you won't have to worry about ATMs the day you arrive.

Have a great trip.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 01:19 PM

If you decide to use a ATM make sure that your money is in your checking account if it is in savings you may run in to big trouble.I REPEATE Make sure your money is in checking account!!! CIAO
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:07 PM
dumas1870

RE: ira on Italian wines

Can you suggest some semi-sweet whites and reds. Not desert wine, but something that isn't dry?

Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I'll give another viewpoint on cash v. plastic. We always take lots of cash, but we charge hotels, dinners, some lunches, purchases, train tickets, etc. We buy some local currency before we leave home and take U.S. currency in $100 bills (new design only). My husband and I divvy up the money. He carries his in a money belt, and I carry mine in a wallet inside a zippered pocket inside a leather backpack that cannot be pickpocketed while I have it on my back. If our hotel room has a safe, we use it. We each carry multiple and different credit cards.

The best rates of exchange we've found on either side of the ocean have been using the US$100 bills in Italy.

As for concerts, we went to a small concert in Florence in a church. Very cheap. No advance ticket purchase required. Just saw a flyer about it as we were walking around. In Venice, we went to a Vivaldi concert performed on ancient instruments at the Bartolomeo church. Medium price but worth it. Bought our tickets in advance. Again, just saw a flyer.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 05:32 PM

The idea is to have as many options as possible to obtain funds, so no one method hangs you up ... cash to exchange, ATM card for Euro withdrawl, travelers checks and credit cards for emergencies or large expenses.
Old Jun 28th, 2003, 10:09 PM

I've never had any trouble using our credit card anywhere in the world. My husband takes 1 brand eg mastercard and I take another eg visa and we keep the 2 matching cards in our hotel safe in case 1 is stolen. We got 100 euros before we left home for taxis, food etc when we arrive, then use the ATM's anywhere for cash and charge hotels, restaurants to the card. Mine is just a straight credit card which I put into credit before I go, in case a nice statue of Zeus looks particularly appealing for back home beside the pool! Haven't spent up to the limit yet!
Old Jun 29th, 2003, 03:07 AM

My recent experience is that Visa, AMEX and MC are NOT as widely accepted as what the comments on this board had led me to believe in Italy. When we went to London, we took about 500 pounds, then charged the rest. In Italy, we took 500 euro and hit the ATM up for another 700 before the trip was up. Restaurants that had the Visa sign in the window would frequently say it wasn't working, stores had a 20 to 30 euro minimum charge and so on. So what I'm saying (finally) is be ready to hit the ATM's and don't bank on your credit card being accepted. Check the window before you eat and ask the waiter. We got up and left a few times when the answer was 'no.' Ciao.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -