Going to Florence/Tuscany Next Week!

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 07:08 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Going to Florence/Tuscany Next Week!

I just found out that my wife and I will be going to Italy next week on a business trip (boondoggle). We're flying into Florence around 3:00 PM and staying at the Hotel Lungaro (looks nice) for one night. The next day, we'll be picked up by the tour arrangers and taken to Villa Isabella, Coallalto, Siena (can't find any web info on this) for 3 days of hiking, biking, wining and dining.

Anyone ever been to Villa Isabella? Can anyone recommend a friendly, relaxed restaurant near the hotel (near the Ponte Vecchio) where we can have a leisurely Tuscan dinner (as we'll be tired from the flight over) that's not TOO expensive or require reservations?

Thanks so much for your help!

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 07:55 AM
Ron

Feast your eyes:

http://www.hamiltonfitzjames.com/htm...a_isabella.htm

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 08:29 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Thanks Ron! Do you work for Hamilton Fitzjames? They're the tour company doing the trip.

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 12:05 PM
Dona

Brian,

Villa Isabella looks WONDERFUL!

I've been to Florence many times and, in fact, will be staying at the Lungarno in October (my 1st time at that hotel...).
I've eaten at a few restaurants right near the hotel. Mamma Gina (which is fine), Chinghiale Bianco (more atmosphere - may be a bit more noisy) and Camillo (probably my preference of the 3). For a real dining "experience" there's a place called Ringo's Bar right across from the hotel that I loved although it may not be what you're looking for. You sit at a counter and Ringo stands there and cooks for you - partly what you order and partly what he's making at the time. I can't wait to go back...

Have a grat trip...

Old Sep 17th, 1999, 05:31 PM
elizabeth

What a great boondoggle!

Brian, if I were in Florence for just one night I would run not walk to a restaurant called CIBREO (I think it's on Via Matteo). I think it's near where you are but nonetheless it's worth finding. Cibreo specializes in Tuscan cuisine and is quite curious. The front part of the restaurant is a little formal - but there's a back room that's quite casual. We ate in the back room one night, and went back for lunch the next day and ate in the front room. The net difference was 1) linen tablecloths/napkins in the front room and 2) way more expensive in the front room. Either way - eat there! It is wonderful.

PS - Are you the Brian from Atlanta who was planning a visit to Toronto but couldn't make it at the last moment?

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:28 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Yep, that's me. But NOTHING will keep me off the plane this time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:29 AM
Brian in Atlanta

Yep, that's me. But NOTHING will keep me off the plane this time.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:44 AM
martha python

How near the hotel do you have to be? If I were in Florence and wiped out from jet lag, I think I would toddle over to Buca Ognissanti, near but not actually on the Pza. O, providing it still exists. They were just so darned nice there--plus waiting in line for Cibreo after a night on the plane just wouldn't do it for me.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 09:56 AM
Steve the Guide

Try "Trattoria Angiolino" in Via Santo Spirito 36/R. ten minutes walking from your Hotel. Nice old trattoria with excelent food.("La fiorentina" meet).

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 03:07 PM
Dona

I also love Cibreo - but I make my dinner reservations from here before I leave (Don't like waiting on lines). If a little walking is ok, I also really like Alle Murate (Via Ghibellina) - great food in a sophisticated atmosphere...