Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Going to Amsterdam and London-good picture sites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. Leaving April 2 for London then Amsterdam. Staying in Central London 3 nights, then at the Grand Hotel in Amsterdam for 4 nights. Does anyone have tips on great photography sites in these areas? I can't think of any super interesting places in London as it's such a regular "city", doesn't have the interesting architecture canals and tulips like Amsterdam. I just bought a new Mamiya medium format camera and my focus this trip is photography. Thanks
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:13 PM

Keukenhof Garden in Lisse Netherlands is photographer's dream. Actually it's so beautiful that it's simply dreamy.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 05:55 PM

In London, there are some classic shots at the Tower of London, including Tower Bridge. The Westminster neighborhood with Big Ben, the Abbey, Parliament, and along the Thames are also worth many frames. Others will have more suggestions, I'm sure. <BR><BR>As for Amsterdam, it's a photographer's dream. I felt like I got my best shots along Prinsengracht in the central and eastern portion of the ring, but there are some neat shots in the Dam Square area, too. (I especially like some of the really narrow streets that aren't large enough for any vehicles.) The time of day (direction and angle of the sunlight) can have a dramatic impact on how things look. If you find a really great scene -- perhaps one that you feel defines Amsterdam for you -- then you may want to re-visit it at different times to see and capture the difference. Just keep shooting and you will almost certainly end up with some of those classic postcard scenes.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 06:48 PM

One of the best pictures my husband shot in London was in St. James Park with the London Eye in the background as well as some great shots from inside the Eye. He also took some very colorful photos at the Royal Horseguards Changing of the Guard ceremony. Another unique photo was of the arch across Carnaby Street.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 07:50 PM

There is a nice view of Big Ben and Trafalgar Square from the steps of the National Gallery. The view from the Royal Observatory in Greenwich is nice. You can see the Queens House and Canary Wharf. Nearby, the old Royal Naval College has possibilities.<BR><BR>Make sure than you know how to use your camera and all the tricks. Consider using a role of film at home first.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 08:34 PM

<BR>The best views of Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament are from the opposite bank of the Thames. Because the scene is so recognizable, this is an ideal location for shots of the spouse, etc. The best shots of Westminster Abbey are of the western face, especially from across the street. If you visit the Tower of London, you can get some great shots of the Yeoman Warders (also called Beefeaters, for some reason) by taking one of the guided tours.<BR><BR>In Amsterdam, try one of the &quot;canal buses&quot; to get some nice shots from the water level. Not far from Amsterdam, the towns of Delft and Leiden are a photographers dream.
Old Mar 30th, 2003, 08:38 PM

Trafalgar Square is great for people (and pidgeon!) watching. You might find some good shots of locals there. Also, try Speaker's Corner in Hyde Park. And, of course, pubs!
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 03:54 AM

London doesn't have interesting architecture? Ever heard of Christopher Wren? London has everything from English Gothic to Baroque to &quot;LLoyd's of London&quot;. <BR><BR>No canals? Actually it does, but who needs canals when you have the Thames - makes for some superb photographic opportunities.<BR><BR>Tulips? London has some of the best urban parks anywhere, and the English take their flowers very serious.<BR><BR>Here are some photos I took last November. In spite of the season, maybe they'll give you some ideas.<BR>http://pages.prodigy.net/drsawyers/
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 04:20 AM

Just returned from London where I took over 800 shots (I have digital so each shot doesn't cost me anything) so there must be something to photograph! There are plenty of great side streets, pubs, buildings, parks, etc besides the usual things already mentioned here. Things look very different at different times of day. I found this especially true of London, especially the houses of parliment/big ben area. Try mid day, sunset and night. St Pauls looks especialy good at sunset also. And if you stand in one place long enough you can usually get a nice red double decker bus in the shot too.<BR><BR>Any more suggestions out there for Amsterdam, I'm going there next.
Old Mar 31st, 2003, 06:03 AM

<BR>Here are some thoughts, grouped roughly by place. I have noted the nearest stations.<BR>The Sikh temple at Southall. Train from Paddington.<BR>The Hindu temple at Neasden<BR>Two great houses<BR>Ham House (Richmond and a bus)<BR>Syon House (train from Waterloo)<BR>Kew Gardens Palm Houses<BR>Little Venice, just along the Edgeware Road ftrom the tube station<BR>The Union Canal in Regents Park (...does not have canals ?.. My dear sir)<BR>Camden Town tube<BR>Victorian gothic at St Pancras station, especially the arches and the ticket office<BR>The inside of the church of St Bartholomew the Great, twelfth century<BR>Farringdon tube<BR>Kensington Gardens: South Kensington station<BR>Men and boys sailing boats on the Round Pond in Kensington Gardens<BR>(of course, ask permission if you are going close up. The same is true of people in pubs, or, better lit, outside them)<BR>The Albert Memorial<BR>The guardsman on duty at the north side of St James Palace. Green Park tube<BR>Any covered shopping arcade off Piccadilly. Green Park tube<BR>Oxford Street on Thursday evening at seven from the top of a double decker bus. Oxford Circus tube<BR>Victorian gothic at the hotel on Portland Place. Oxford Circus tube<BR>Victorian gothic steel at Liverpool Street station<BR>The saree shops of Brick Lane. North of Aldgate East station<BR>Sunset from Lambeth Bridge. Bus from Victoria or Westminster<BR>Walk both banks of the Thames, from Lambeth Bridge to Tower Bridge<BR>The gardens of the Inns of Court, especially of Lincolns Inn (Holborn tube. Check at the gate that photos are allowed). Good near sunset.<BR>The lanes of Inner Temple (Temple tube)<BR>The alleys off Carter Lane, south west of St Paul's<BR>The flower plantings just south of St Paul's Cathedral (a rival to all those Dutch tulips)<BR>The firefighters statue next to them<BR>The crowd on London Bridge any weekday at 6pm<BR>Sunrise from London Bridge through Tower Bridge<BR>The Mayor of London's offices at the southern end of Tower Bridge<BR>The rhodedendrons of Dulwich Park. Train from London Bridge to East Dulwich. But first please phone them at 020 8693 5737 to check whether the crocusses are still in bloom, and whether the rhodedendrons are out yet)<BR>Brixton market on Saturday morning<BR><BR>I am afraid we can no longer offer pea-soupers, but there are fine misty mornings in April.<BR><BR>I hope that will start you off. Please write if I can help further. Welcome to London.<BR><BR>[email protected]<BR>