Going back to Italy - Input please!

Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Going back to Italy - Input please!

(note: this is a re-post. Posted last night and evidently neglected to specify 'Italy'. I think it appeared on the general 'Europe' forum. Got some great feedback and have already made some revisions but still processing all the input so far. Wanted to post it here too to get your ideas...)

Message: Just got the final okay from DH to make a return trip to Italy - sooooo excited!!!! Last time we went with another couple, this time taking our daughters (ages 18 and 21).

Will prolly be making multiple posts for input and information as the plans come together so please, bear with me!

Want to pretty much retrace the trip we did before but with some changes so that's where you guys come in. Have scoured the Fodors, Slowtrav, tripadvisor, etc. sites but still need advice. Our basic m.o. is: see what we can but not go crazy with museums, art, 'stuff'; shop a little but not obsessively so; absorb the local scenery, flavor, food, etc.; see the countryside; eat ALOT; get the idea?

Don't want to break the bank but don't mind spending US$150 - 300 per night on rooms if they're worth it...

Here's what I have so far with questions in between: (need help with the question parts!)

Departing May 10, 2005:
Day 01: (Tue) Depart USA -> Naples
Day 02: (Wed)Arrive Naples, driver pick us up, drive to Positano, see Herculaneum on the way. Hotel (3 nights): Palazzo Murat (stayed there before and loved it!). Dinner: ??? (maybe at Palazzo Murat?)
Day 03: (Thu) Explore Positano: shop, walk, eat, etc. Dinner Il Ritrovo
Day 04: (Fri) Boat/day trip to Capri. Dinner: Dona Rosa
Day 05: (Sat) Train to Siena, cab to hotel
Day 06: (Sun) Go to church, walk, hang out (see what’s open, mostly just chill)
Day 07: (Mon) Explore Siena
Day 08: (Tue) Rent car, drive to Tuscany/Umbria. Hotel ??? Need help here – Pienza? Montepulciano? Hotel? Apartment? Would like something within 5 or so minutes walking distance to town, shops, market, etc. (with kitchen) so we can bring fresh stuff back and cook and sit out on awesome terrace drinking wine, eating and enjoying each other and the view…
Day 09: (Wed) Explore, hang out
Day 10: (Thu) Day trip with Dario to hill towns and countryside
Day 11: (Fri) Cooking class with Letiza Mattiacci in Assisi
Day 12: (Sat) Explore / drive countryside and hill towns
Day 13: (Sun) Turn in car, train to Rome (or maybe drive to Rome?) Hotel: Albergo Ottocento (just off Piazzo Barbarini – stayed there before and really liked it: great location and new, right around the corner from original choice Bernini Bristol and ½ the cost) Dinner: ???
Day 14: (Mon) See Rome. Dinner: Hassler?
Day 15: (Tue) See Rome. Dinner: Galiasi in Trastevere?
Day 16: (Wed) Depart from Rome for USA
Day 17: (Thu) Sad depressing day back home reliving Italy memories
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

Oooops - forgot to post the hotel we're considering in Siena: Palazzo Ravizza
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:43 PM

Whether you specify Italy or not, your posting still appears on the general Europe forum. Selecting a specific country only serves to help anyone who does a search and selects Italy as its subject.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

So is it better to specify a country/topic or not?
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 07:08 PM

Hi hightide, IMHO I think it is better to indicate the country in your title because it is more apt to catch the eye of posters that are famaliar with the country that you are interested in.

For example, unless I am curious, or were planning to visit there, I know when I see a thread regarding Prague I don't read it as have no knowledge about it.

Also, if you put Italy in your title then posters that go to the Europe Board and click on "Italy" will see your thread. I don't know if some people just read the "Italy" threads and nothing else but when I started reading Fodors that is what I did before I registered. Take care.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:40 AM

It's better to indicate your country, but just keep in mind that it'll make no difference where it appears on the European forum.
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info! Like I said, I usually always include the country but just forgot to this time. Funny thing, the first post WITHOUT the country got 17 responses with ideas and input, when I re-posted WITH the country specified, no response. That seems odd but oh well, will keep checking!

Thanks!!!!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM

Hi Hightide,

My only recommendation would be to check the hours for your car return location. Most of the smaller towns are closed on Sundays.

buon viaggio!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:51 PM

hightide, I have a question for you!
Who are you hiring as a driver from Naples to Positano and what is the cost?
We are scheduled to go the same route in June and our hotel will arrange a taxi to do it for E90. If you know of someone good and reasonable would you pass the info along? Thanks!
Old Jan 23rd, 2005, 01:57 PM
ira

Hi klap,

We were happy with Limousine Service Sorrento (Renato Cuomo)
www.cuomonet.it

However, there is a man, francesco, who has just started a new business who might give you a better rate.
[email protected]

Old Jan 24th, 2005, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Dayle: You're right - I discovered that too after reading someone elses post and then looked at our itinerary again. We're thinking now we might just go ahead and drive at our leisure into Rome and turn it in there so that we won't have to rush around and be tied to the train schedule. Thanks for the input...

Klapenta: re: driver in Positano: Not sure yet. Last time we used Marcello but not sure this time. Sally Watkins is helping with arrangements so we'll see what she comes up with, also going to check out Ira's suggestion (Limo Service Sorrento) - I'll keep you posted!

Note: Forgot to add in there a day with Peter Kilby seeing hilltowns, prolly Sat. day 12...
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 07:55 AM
Original Poster

ttt - 3rd time the charm? Something's not working right...
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 08:24 AM

FYI: driver from Naples to Positano:

We are going to use Francesco (ira gave some info in his post here) for our trip in June. He has been very flexible and helpful in our correspondence so far. He's charging us 100E.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Thanks everyone,
We have booked our transport with Renato. www.cuomonet.it
Lots of good recommendations on this site and he responded quickly, too.
His charge is 75 euro for 2 people