Search

Go to Tangier!!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 01:26 AM
Laura

Go to Tangier!!

My husband and I just returned from a trip to southern Spain. After reading all of your advice about Tangier, I tried to talk my husband out of going. Thankfully he couldn't be persuaded. Yes, Tangier is dirty and poor - and I'm sure there are better areas of Morocco to see - but if you only have a day, this is a culture that everyone should experience.<BR><BR>We opted to hire a personal guide, Aziz, who is a local that Rick Steves recommends. We called him a couple of days in advance and he met us at the port (he charges only 18 Euros for the day). He was able to show us interesting sights and narrow streets that we never would have found on our own, and since everyone in the city seems to know and respect him, not a single vendor harrassed us. My only word of advice about a personal guide is that they apparently receive a commission from some of the rug stores. If you aren't interested in buying a rug, make it clear to your guide.<BR><BR>This was an experience I will never forget. Avoid the temptation to stay in comfortable Europe and open your minds to new cultures - you won't be sorry.<BR>

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:01 AM
adams

I'm glad you had a good experience. It sounds to me the difference was hiring a personal guide, rather than going on a group tour.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:07 AM
Lally

How much did the services of Aziz cost if you don't mind me asking? How did you get to Tangier? What airport in Spain did you fly out of and what airline? This trip sounds very interesting.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:53 AM
Ellen

Laura,<BR>What time did you depart spain? How long was the ferry ride? Once you got to Morocco, what was the customs procedure and how did you find Aziz? Did he help you get through customs or meet you afterwards?<BR>What time is the return ferry?<BR><BR>Sorry about all the questions, but I had given up on this day trip and you have just sparked new interest.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:21 AM
go

Good for you Laura! I always try to get people to visit Morocco.It seems so sad to be so close and not to do so.Yes it is major cultire shock but after all isn't that why traveling is so wonderful.My suggestion however is to leave the car in Algeciras Spain and wave as you walk by all the cars in line for passport contro to Gibraltar,visit the Rock,go to the Gibraltat Tourist Office at Bomb House Lane,make arrangements for the Tour of Tangier ,go by Hydrofoil.The ride in <BR>itself is worth it.Have lunch(Fish & Chips!)first.The tour will get you on a small 16 seater bus and then will guide you through the casbah.Yes you will beled to a rug factory and even an herb shop,enjoy the moments to relax and rest up for your trip back to Gibraltar.We usually do this trip in one day-AM tour ofGibraltar-watch out for those apes,PM Tangier,Great sunset on the way back to the rock and back to the car in Spain.I don't see the point of an individual guide-get the package tour,strength in numbers etc.Go and come back with a greater appreciation for your personal world!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:15 AM
Laura

Here are some answers to your questions:<BR><BR>Lally: We took a boat from Gibraltar to Tangier - it's very simple to find and the passport control driving into Gibraltar was very fast - perhaps because it was 8:30 a.m. Leaving Gibraltar in the early evening took a little more time - about 45 minutes. Aziz charged 18 Euros for the time from when the boat arrived until it left - about 5 hours. We flew in and out of Malaga but stayed in Nerja, which was about a 2 hour drive to Gibraltar. We live in Germany, so we flew LTU.<BR><BR>Ellen: The ferry left Gibraltar at 8:30 a.m., arriving at approx. 10:00 a.m., and left Tangier at 3:00 p.m. (1:00 Tangier time - there is a 2 hour difference right now). The ferry ride is about an hour and a half. Aziz actually walked on to the boat once it arrived holding a sign with our name on it. He helped us right through customs - basically that just involves filling out a short form and showing your passport.<BR><BR>Hope this helps!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:25 AM
Maira

We had a personal guide. We didn't buy any rugs after an hour of sales pitch. We were harrased at the market afterwards. These things happen. Would I go back to Tangier? NO. Was I glad I did it once? YES. Do I recommend it? NO.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Maribel

Ditto, Maira. You've described my feelings perfectly.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 07:27 AM
go to

Certain tourists should stick to the well trodden paths/cruises/ tourists traps of Europe.For the more adventurous/true travelers go to Tangier,Cairo,Eastern Europe etc.Onlt then will you get the feeling that you have seen/experienced, if only for a day how millions of people do manage to exist.<BR>Where was your mouth when you were stuck for an hour in the rug store? I'm sure you would not have had a problem saying something and leaving back home !I have taken high school groups to Tangier and that is what they talked about when they returned home,not the Eiffel tower.They treasures their bottlesof Coke with Arabic writing.Oh to be young and still be amazed/imprssed by a bottle!

Old Apr 18th, 2002, 07:35 AM
Ellen

Laura, after your encouragement, I did contact Aziz. He is charming. He also has a minibus tour if we prefer, instead of the 5 hr walking tour. The minibus tour goes to the Kings Palace & other palaces and homes fo the rich and famour, Cape Spartel (northeast western point of Africa where the Med & Atlantic oceans meet, Cave of Hercules, Camel riding, lunch, kasbah, medina, mendoubia gardens, petit socco & gran socco. Does anyone know anything about these sites? I just got his tour info and haven't had a chance to research yet. Sounds like we would prefer this tour, but I'd love some feedback.<BR>Thanks.

Old May 27th, 2002, 05:33 PM
Clarence

Like others, I had given up on the Tangier daytrip idea until Laura's posting. Can anyone please advise as to how to combine Gibraltar and Tangier together (is the 1/2 day each idea posted here the best and enough??) while roaming thru that part of Spain. ie. should one make a home base in Algeciras for a night? Names of tour groups? Go with Aziz?? Thanks and sorry for the multiple questions.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:32 PM
Anne

My husband and myself visited Tangier July 9th this year, had a wonderful experience... yes the vendors basically harass you but it's their livelyhood!! I was disturbed by the little boys begging for money though! We had lunch at at traditional Moraccan restaurant complete with a belly dancer and traditional music! Wonderful!! I'M 32 AND I TREASURE MY COKE BOTTLE IN ARABIC TOO!! Sometimes the expensive souviniers are not the treasured ones, I also collected sea shells and pieces of terra cotta from Playa las Yukas in Benalmedena...If you go to Tangier go with an open mind......

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 05:27 PM
sandra

I am so happy to see others venturing into Morocco i have traveled extensively in Morocco and love it . Tangier may not be the best part of morocco but it was god enough for Malcolm Forbes to give his 75th birthday party. I stayed in Tangier about 2 weeks at a lovely hotel on the beach called the Sol Azul. While i was there so was U2 drinking at the bar, as the were filming the video Mysterious Ways back in the 90's.<BR><BR> I have taken a cab tour where we hired a driver and he tooks us to see camels, the place where the med. sea meets the Atalntic. They will drive you past the Mansions where al the Arab Princes live and the Golf club where Arnold Palmer designed the course. There is a great artisian college in Tangier where you can go and watch studentrs create jewelry and then buy it for pennies.<BR> Tangier while not a true representitive of Moroccan life is a great adventure so to speak. The ols souk in the Casbah is filled with wonderful twisty turning streets with great tiny little shops. Buy some dried roses buds, bring them home and let them fill your house with great scents.<BR> The food is great and varied , from hamburgers to tangines, ice cream to that wonderful arabic coke. Have some mint tea ,, always too sweet but served by the carpet merchants as a sign of friendship.<BR> Venture out of the norm and have a real adventure

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:54 AM
Katherine

Clarence: I posted a reply to a previous message re Tangier. We used Tarifa as our "base camp" and spent a day in Gibraltar and a day in Tangier; returning to the lovely Hurricane Hotel in Tarifa in the late afternoon. This hotel was one of the highlights of our trip to Spain. The food was absolutely wonderful and we enjoyed the pool and tropical surroundings. It is located on the beach and very close to the kite surfing. Re Tangier, we went with Aziz and traveled in his mini bus seeing the local sights. We rate him an A+.

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 12:48 PM
Tra

Does anyone have a phone number or email address to contact Aziz? I've checked the Rick Steves website, but can't seem to find it.<BR>thanks!

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 05:14 AM
utpal

Email address of Aziz: I have seen this address at some other Tangier posting:<BR>[email protected]

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 04:00 PM
ellen

one z. [email protected]. And he was terrific.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Coco

By all means visit Morocco as you are so close to proximity from S. Spain. Years ago, in the late '70s, my husband and I spent one week's vacation in an apartment in the hills above beautiful Marbella. While there, we signed up for a day's tour to Morocco/Tangiers. At that time we left from the port of Algiceras, took a hydrofoil boat over to Tangiers. Yes, once there it is quite a culture shock, but also quite adventuresome too. Our boat docked at the port. Before we departed the boat, all passengers handed over their passports! Our guide met us at the boat, where a tour bus was waiting for us. We had a fabulous lunch at one of the top hotels that day, visited the Sultan's Palace, stopped along route, rode camels, spent time at the Casbah, etc.. It was a day that will stick in my mind forever. So, so different than any kind of travel I have ever experienced. If anyone gets the chance to go visit, do it. It is an experience of a lifetime.<BR><BR>Coco.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 02:42 PM
Maira

I really have to chuckle when I read people recommending going to Tangier to visit the Royal Palace and the homes of the rich and famous. But the best part is that they critized those who do not recommend Tangier by suggesting they are not the "adventurous type". If I had seek out the type of tour that is described several times above, I would had LOVE it, too! Instead we hired a local guide and specifically asked him NOT to take us to any rich neighborhood, but to where the real Tangier could be seen. We LEARNED a lot about the textile industry in Tangier while listening to what could be considered a "sales pitch"; that's why we LISTENED for an hour and chose to leave when we wanted. More than harrased at the market, a vendor came into my taxi and grabbed my purse. Right away about four other vendors chased him and proceeded to beat the %^&* out of him in front of me. <BR><BR>We walked the medina, went into the stores, talked to the kids, had lunch with a local family. My experience in Tangier was far more enriching than if I had chosen to take photos of Forbes's palace and eat in a restaurant packed with other tourists. Was it a worthwhile experience? Heck, yes. Would I choose Tangier to be my first experience in Morocco? Heck, NO.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:32 PM
Tara

Amen, Maira. I can't say I went for the authentic Morocco experience as much as you did, but I did have the same feeling about my visit. I went about 10 years ago with a group tour. Though I did treasure my coke bottle and am glad I went, I would not want to go back. It's not so much that the people beg or that the vendors are persistent - the word needed here is AGRESSIVE, to the point that despite being surrounded by a large group of people, I was very intimidated and felt unsafe. The vendors and children followed us down the street, and their minimal command of the English language included some choice profanity for anyone who opted not to buy their offerings or give them a handout. We also had the experience of our guide taking us to his friends' rug shop, where the guide actually stepped behind the register and was working peddling the rugs. While at the shop, we took to using a buddy system, since teenage girls from the group were being cornered by the salesmen, and we were there for hours on end (essentially we could not leave until everyone had made a purchase). I then had a pair of street vendors try to swindle me by giving me my "change" in a traveller's chack - that someone else had signed over to them. They understood my English when I wanted to buy something, but pretended not to understand when I wouldn't take the check, stalling because they knew I was about to miss my ferry. I am by no means saying that my personal experience represents the city, country, or culture as a whole, and admittedly it was a while ago, but it had an impression on me that leaves me disinclined to return. The camel ride, snake charmer, Casbah, belly dancer, the coke bottle...all were novel and worth remembering, but not worth repeating.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -