Glendalough, Wicklow Area Accomodations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In October, my husband and I will be arriving at the Dublin airport (8:30 am), renting a car and driving south out of town. We plan to go to the Gardens of Powerscourt, drive the Sally Gap, and visit Glendalough.

We think that will be enough for our first day in Ireland. We are looking for a B&B near the Glendalough area. We would like to be close to a village so that we can walk into town, grab a pint and some pub grub (any recommendations on that). If that is not an option, we can drive into town.

The next day, we plan to go to Avoca Handweavers and then head towards Waterford.

Any recommendations?
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 11:12 PM

Any walking at night near Glendalough will require a flashlight. If you want to stay right in the village of Laragh I would recommemd Lynham's of Laragh. It is a nice hotel right on the river with a pub and restaurant. They recently built a new wing. You would want a room away from the bar.

Perhaps 10-15 minute walk (but uphill going back) try Pinewood: http://www.glendalough.connect.ie/pinewood.html It is not fancy but is very clean and comfortable with nice hosts.

I can recommend another B&B a short drive away, if interested.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

IrishEyes,

Yes, I would appreciate it if you could recommend another B&B a short drive away.

I have already tried Derrymore and Doire Coille Farmhouse and neither of them are available.

Thanks for your help!

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 06:59 PM

Try Riversdale House. It is a very nice place. I would not walk to town and back at night. It is a short drive. http://www.glendalough.eu.com/
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

IrishEyes,

Thanks for the help. I will check out your recommendations and hopefully we will be able to book a room.

When do you leave for Ireland? We are leaving on the 29th of September for 30 days. This is our first trip and we are extremely excited. Do you stay with family or friends or do you stay at any self-catering? We are trying to find out what is the best website for self-catering lodging.

Thanks, travelmngirl
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 09:08 PM

travelmngirl, I am off to Ireland next week. We will be there at the same time. I stay in all sorts of places. With friends, at self catering, at B&Bs, guest houses, hotels, you name it. I don't do hostels or camping. That is too rustic for me.

I like my comforts and I like staying in the best any one area has to offer that is within my budget. Hence no castle hotels for my hard-earned money. I am not above taking a look at a castle hotel just to see how the other half lives. But till I win the lotto it is out of my price range.

For self catering look at www.dreamireland.com & http://www.selfcatering-ireland.com/

Have a good trip and I hope you get the Glendalough B&B that suits you.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

IrishEyes,

We are staying at the Riversdale House per your recommendation.

Thank you for the information on self-catering websites. We really thought we wanted to stay at a self-catering for at least one week but not sure if that makes a lot of sense for us.

We were thinking of doing the self-catering in the southwest part of Ireland. The areas we want to explore are Beara Peninsula, Kenmare, Muckross House, Ring of Kerry, Killarney and Dingle Peninsula. We were looking for a central location to take day trips but it looks like it would make for long days in the car (we don't want that). We think it might be best to stay at a B&B for 2-3 days and then head to our next destination.

What we do know for sure is that we are very excited about going and we will have another vacation of a lifetime.

Thanks for all of your help! Have a wonderful vacation.

travelmngirl
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 01:40 PM

travelmngirl, You will have to let me know about your stay at Riversdale when you get back. I think it is one of the nicer B&Bs in the area. Print directions from the website so you can find it.

If you are staying at B&Bs for 2-3 days you will many times get a discount (especially at this time of year) but you must ask for it.

Have fun! I am off to pack.