Search

glendalough

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:42 PM
wug
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glendalough

Thanks to all the advice I've received from Fodorites, I've decided to spend my three extra days alone down in the Wicklow Mountains. I'm thinking Glendalough but I want to make sure this is the best place to stay. I won't have a car so am planning on taking the Glendalough bus from Dublin. I'm wanting to do some hiking and maybe biking or kayaking. I read somewhere that Glendalough doesn't really have restaurant options. Is that true? Am I limited without a car? Should I stay in another town where there are more options? I need to have easy access to the trails since I'll be on foot. I prefer not to have to use taxis.

Also, I've been looking for companies that do kayak or bike rentals or day trips in the area. Does anyone know of options for this? Also, any B&B/hotel recommendations? I've looked into Tudor Lodge and Bracken. Bracken only has availability for one night though. Tudor lodge has availability when I need it. (end of July) I also emailed Valeview, but no response so far. Thanks so much for the advice and help.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 09:11 PM

I can't help you on much other than to say that Bracken was a nice place to stay. Jim was really helpful in securing lodging for us in Kilkenny. Switching accomdations in the same area can be a bit of a pain, though, so hopfully someone can help you with an opinion on Tudor Lodge. Good luck!
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 06:41 AM
wug
Original Poster

Thanks Jefe, Can you give any advice on staying in Glendalough for a few days without a car?
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 09:56 AM

I had access to a car while I was there, so I can't offer too much help - and I don't want to discourage you too early in case someone can offer much better advice. I know Wicklow is a hikers paradise, and that there are quite a few trails. I'm not sure how hard it is to get around if your destination isn't along those trails though.

Might be worth discussing with some of the B&B owners you are talking to, to get their take on things. And hopefully someone else here can offer up more info.

There is a good restaurant in Laragh called the Wicklow Heather - I don't know of any others off the top of my head.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 11:20 AM

It's been awhile since I've been to Glendalough, but I remember it for its absolute quiet and beautiful scenery. There were ruins and fields of sheep. A very pastoral setting. Sounds beautiful, but I would not care to spend more than a couple of hours there--really nothing to do but take in the scenery. Unless you are on a "find yourself" kick, it's not a great place to spend a few days.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 01:30 AM

Tudor Lodge is a lovely place - and there's a great hike along a trail to the Monastic city (best done at night when there's a full moon). The Wicklow Heather does some very nice lamb, and is a little more expensive but nicer than the pub in Laragh. There is a pub in Glendalough which is nice and they also do food. I would also recommend hiking around the upper Lake. If you're a cyclist, then Glendalough is not a difficult ride from Dublin and if you can't find anywhere to hire a bike in the Glendalough area, this might be a good option.
http://www.jeremytaylor.eu/glendalough_ireland.htm