Search

Glasgow to Oban

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:18 PM
Patricia

Glasgow to Oban

I want to have an idea of how long it takes from Glasgow to Oban (driving)?<BR><BR>What I cannot miss??<BR><BR>I'm planning to visit the Inveraray Castle.. Anywhere else I should go?<BR><BR>I'm going with my husband..<BR><BR>Thanks,<BR>Patricia

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Laoghaire

Hi Patricia..We left Ballachulish(Glencoe) after a BandB breakfast around 9:30a.m.. Went to Oban, walked around a little, then on to Glasgow via Kilchurn Castle, Inveraray Castle on Loch Fyne where we had lunch and toured the castle, arrived at the Glasgow airport around 6pm.. around about way of "Oban to Glasgow".. hope this helps..loved that part of Scotland.. would go back in a minute..have a great day....Helen

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 01:57 PM
Patricia

We will arrive at Glasgow by 12:00pm and do not want to stay. We will rent the car and leave towards Oban. I want to spend the night there to watch a Scotish show. I'm afraid we will not be able to see much..<BR>What do you think?

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 03:53 AM
Keith

Patricia, it takes about three hours to drive to Oban from Glasgow - and that's when you know the winding roads. Add on jet lag (I assume you're coming from the US) and getting used to driving on the left, it will probably take longer.<BR><BR>Inverary would provide a handy "stopping point" between Glasgow and Oban - it's slightly less than half way, if my memory serves me right. You could think about stopping there for a night, which would give you time to see Inverary Castle and the jail in the afternoon and get some rest whilst overlooking the loch.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 06:09 AM
frank

Takes about 3 hours if driving fairly slowly.(2 hours is possible)<BR>There are 3 or 4 routes, all are very scenic.One of the longer ones, via Inverary & Lochgilphead, goes past interesting prehistoric sites at Kilmartin just bedide the road.(just after Cairnbaan - you may see Dunadd marked on the map)

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:19 AM
Patricia

All,<BR>Thanks for your comments. They're very usefull!<BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 11:59 AM
Patricia

All,<BR>Thanks for your comments. They're very usefull!<BR>