Glasgow restaurants.

May 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Original Poster

Glasgow restaurants.

I have a night in Glasgow on the way to Skye on the 23rd May. I don't know the city at all.
Where is recommended to eat-in walking distance of the centre? I'm not too interested in fine dining but maybe good Italian or Chinese or even Tex-Mex(does this exist in Glasgow?). I'm also very fond of Indian but having eaten Indian twice this week maybe tonight isn't the best time to discuss that.
We could be late arriving-or very late-Bank Holiday traffic.
I have searched but the function doesn't allow Glasgow to be separated from Restaurants so I'm getting accomodation posts.
I'm very fond of Centotre and the Outsider in Edinburgh- by way of example.
Thank you!
May 14th, 2008, 12:08 PM

Try www.myvillage.com and click onto Glasgow. The Italian Kitchen is very good but Glasgow has many good central restaurants.
May 14th, 2008, 07:13 PM

Well, on the off chance that you will be in the mood to consider Indian by then, my favorite restaurant in Glasgow is the Wee Curry Shop, which is a short walk from Sauchiehall St. It is tiny with a limited menu, but the food is really good. It was cash only. The parent restaurant is called Mother India and it is in the West end. More of a real restaurant, lots of choices on the menu and accepts credit cards.
May 15th, 2008, 01:22 AM

Hi Frances.

I also like the Wee Curry Shop.

The other restaurant in the centre which I've eaten at most frequently is Cafe Gandolfi, which has lots of atmosphere. There is now a newish Gandolfi Fish on the same street (Albion St) but i haven't tried it yet.

Where exactly are you staying, though ? If you lt us know we might come up with something else nearby.

And going on the fact that you say you might be late arriving, does that mean you don't plan to book ? That could make a difference.
May 15th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

I like the look both of the Italian Kitchen and the Wee Curry shop-I'm ready for more Indian by now! I see that the Wee Curry Shop is open until 11 and I would certainly hope to be there by then.
Its impossible to tell how long the journey will take and it depends how many people are going to the Lakes- it always eases up north of there. We did a similar journey on May Day Bank holiday last year and made fantastic progress getting to our overnight just south of Gretna before 7pm. It also depends if we can get away early
Caroline- we are staying in the Marriott which is somewhere central. One thing for certain I won't want to drive once I have arrived in Edinburgh!
Book us some good weather next weekend please.
May 15th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Sorry that should have said"once I arrive in Glasgow"
May 15th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Hi Frances. Hm, the Marriott isn't really anywhere near any of the suggested restaurants so far, and I can't actually think of anywhere great near it. It's not in the best part of town - not dangerous or anything, but a mixture of old office / light-industrial buildings (some now home to some interesting contemporary art spaces !) & the new office blocks which are gradually replacing them. It is a bit of a dead area at night, I'm afraid. The only place I can think of nearby is the Arches theatre restaurant - I've eaten there once or twice, it's not bad, and I imagine you will probably be able to get a table without booking. It's just a few minutes walk east along Argyle Street. Otherwise the Pizza Express on Queen St or eat at the hotel ? I think the Wee Curry Shop and Cafe Gandolfi would be problematic without a reservation, on a bank holiday, anyway.
May 16th, 2008, 12:27 AM

Actually that area has some rather good restaurants. Piccolo Mondo(Italian), Thai Orchid both on Argyle Street and the Ho Wong on York Street are all excellent.
May 28th, 2008, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

I must thank you all for the weather you arranged for us! It was absolutely outstanding although I suspect it didn't reach as far south as Glasgow and Edinburgh- in fact I know it didn't because we were back in Edinburgh on Monday night and walking from Pancho Villas to Salisbury Green which is in Pollock it was COLD.
Nevertheless the sun in Skye was glorious. Hours of it -car roof open, t-shirts on ,sit-on-the-beach weather.The light was intense and I have only ever seen it like that before in Lapland.
It was very light at 10.15 p.m. and also by 3.45am and I feel so privileged because I didn't expect it!
Our journey was not bad-5.25 hours from Anglesey to Glasgow on Friday night. We ate at Ho Wong which was 5 mins walk from the Marriott and very busy when we got there at about 10 but we got a table. This was good Chinese food. It was also a first- I asked for a lager and they brought me a pint without asking! It is far more usual that I ask for a pint and they check that that is really what I want- as if I might have got it wrong! Anyway was it because this is Glasgow where all women drink pints?
Thank you all. I now want to see more of Glasgow and I will definitely go back to Skye!
By the way next trip to Edinburgh is probably 1st week in September- some more nice weather please?
May 28th, 2008, 02:51 PM

Glad you enjoyed the Ho Wong. Actually on the same street as my office and a place I've used frequently, although usually for lunch.

As for the pint thing, it's pretty much the standard measure in Scotland. Fairly unusual to see anyone, male or female, drinking a half pint unless its as a chaser to a whisky. Hope you didn't get too tipsy!
May 28th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Frances, so glad the weather was kind to you. It was sunny but with a cold east wind here. Yes, a pint is the default value in Scotland - nearly all pubs will automatically give you a pint if you ask for a Deuchers or whatever.

Pollock isn't actually an area of Edinburgh - there are just the Pollock Halls of Residence which are in Newington.