Reload this Page >

Giverney in late October?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:47 PM
Mare

Is it worth going that late in the season? We have been to Paris once before, and on this trip, we will have seven full days there. We have already been to Chartres and Versailles.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 02:41 PM
fran

I'd like to know too.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 03:29 PM
StCirq

If your main interest is the gardens, I'd skip it. Giverny closes at the end of October, and though I've never been there that time of year, some fairly lengthy experience with gardening would lead me to believe that there won't be much to see compared to spring or summer. <BR>If you need a good daytrip from Paris, I'd highly recommend Auvers-sur-Oise. In addition to Van Gogh's grave and the familiar church and the house where he lived that's now a restaurant, the château has one of the best exhibits I've ever seen, focused on how the Impressionist movement came to be and what societal forces shaped it. You move through a number of rooms associated with different themes; for example, a room designed like the interior of a French train from the period has a short film on how rail travel meant Parisians could get out to the country and paint new subjects. There are also short films every few rooms, and something like 200 holograms. I thought it was a very captivating exhibit.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 04:04 PM
BGGLT

It would be very nice if St Cirq would limit her recommendations to her actual experience. We visited Giverny the last week of October two years ago. Like most gardens tended by professional gardeners, the plants, flowers, and trees are planted to bloom and thrive in their various seasons. And they were spectacular. We did not find the mobs and mobs of visitors reported in Spring and Summer. You won't find tulips in October, but the gardens are lovely and it's a miracle to stand amidst the scenery Monet painted and look out his bedroom window at his beloved gardens. The house and Monet's personal collection are well worth a visit as well. And Van Gogh was not an "impressionist". We went in Fall because I saw huge photographs at an exhibition of Monets gardens in each of the seasons and I thought fall was the most beautiful.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Lesli

I visited Monet's gardens this past October (on the 8th, I believe) and they were still blooming beautifully, and well worth seeing. Agree with the above poster that the gardens are different with each season, but lovely in all of them.

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:15 PM
Mare

Thanks for the input. I guess we are headed to Giverney!

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 07:42 PM
snipper

Author: BGGLT ([email protected]) <BR>"And Van Gogh was not an 'impressionist'." <BR> <BR>AND NO ONE SAID HE WAS! <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 09:24 PM
fran

Thanks everyone. I'm going!

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:22 AM
xxxxxx

And please let us know when you return Fran

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 04:58 AM
Monica

I was at Giverny early October 1997 and loved it! There are still plenty of flowers in bloom. It was a lovely day trip, which we took by train and met a couple who we shared a taxi with. The place wasn't crowded at all, so it was very relaxing and enjoyable.