Reload this Page >

Give constructive ideas

Search

Give constructive ideas

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 1999, 07:11 PM
Sean

Give constructive ideas

Hello, <BR> <BR>I would like some feedback on a website I am creating with a few friends. <BR>It will hopefully be a forum for travellers to meet other like minded individuals as well as place to find out about current travel information and articles. The web site address is http://www.BootsnAll.com <BR> <BR>Thank you heeps, <BR>Sean

Old Apr 3rd, 1999, 08:06 PM
D.B.

Sean, I visited your site and wasn't particularly bowled over. I would prefer smaller fonts so my eye(s) could take more in at one time (the fancy headings are okay, the main text is my problem, it's not my browser setting). Also, I strongly suggest you take a tip from fodors and use a frames version. Put the headings on the left and have the articles pop-up on the write. You won't be "stealing" any ideas, many sites do this -- sometimes annoyingly -- in your case I think it would be better, and people won't need to use the back button and lose threads or train of thought. Have an interpage-link to photos, show all photos for a particular city/area in thumbnail, then a person can decide to get the big picture if they want, these two things will help reduce download times. (I did not have trouble with download time, but if your site is successful it will be.) Think ahead as best you can, so you don't have to spend a lot of time fixing things later. Think about how you store and sort the files, things that may be transparent to the user, but will make managing the site easier for you as it grows (the old analogy of top/down programming vs. spaghetti code). A little extra "programming" work now will go a long way for the future. I think you are on the right track, and contain the possibility of a useful endeavor. Thank you for asking for opinions. Not a bad site name. <BR>

Old Apr 29th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Tracy

Hi Sean, <BR>I took a look at your web site, and found one thing that will keep me from going back. You charge a membership fee! There are so many travel forums on the internet that are free...why would I pay for the same info? <BR>Well, I do wish you luck & sucess with your site.

Old May 26th, 1999, 06:21 PM
Kittie

Sean, <BR>I went to your web site and I think that you have a good start at a great idea. <BR>I do have two questions: <BR>1) What is the membership fee? I went to the "join" page and I read about the free year, but I didn;t see anything about how much it will cost after the year is up. <BR>2)What are you charging for? Your page is a little bit vague. Is it to correspond with people in the specific areas/cities you list or is it for meeting with people who visit the area you live in? <BR>Kittie

Old May 27th, 1999, 03:30 AM
Jay Frank

For what it's worth ... <BR> <BR>I just hopped over to your website. One of the first things I saw was your line: <BR> <BR> "Sign-up now and if accepted ..." <BR> <BR>And then I stopped. I guess I'm not all that invested in your acceptance. You might wish to reconsider the wording. <BR> <BR>Take care. <BR> <BR> <BR>