Gifts that represent Tuscany..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi!I am looking for gifts that capture the essence(or atleast remind one) of Tuscany.We will be in Siena for a wedding(May). I was thinking of ceramic platters but not sure if I can afford them.This is a gift to families(not individuals).I want to spend ~E20-25. Any ideas? I am trying not to get something that only functions as an adornment...

Also I am looking for farms or stores that sell either olive oil or lavender products(soaps,...). I understand that SMN farmacia in Florence stocks these but am hoping that a local producer might be cheaper..

Thanks,
Sudhin
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 02:12 PM

Now here is a subject I know something about! Near Siena is San Gimignano, which produces some of the finest saffron in the world. Cooks would especially like this.

There is lots of local olive oil in Tuscany and that too would be a great gift.

We have seen so many ceramics that were so lovely... you can certainly find things in every price range.

Grocery type stores, and pharmacies will both have soaps. I like to buy olive oik soap and sometimes it is locally produced. But that isn't a gaurantee of cheapness: locally produced boutique items can be expensive. I stick to the grocery stores and pharmacies for soaps.

Lavender isn't a huge crop in Tuscany, but honey and sunflowers are. You can easily find Tuscany honey. Millefiori is a good one. I find sunflower honey to be bitter.

Wine? Everywhere.

So many cool kitchen things, all over the place. Nice linen type gifts too.

In Florence, good paper is a wonderful and affordable gift.

I am sorry to say that I never bought anything at SMN, because it all seems way out of my price range. A 20e gift might be available there... I don't know. I've shopped and looked, but didnt see anything that seemed to fit my budget.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 04:24 PM
Original Poster

Hi tuscanlifeedit,

Thank you for the suggestions. Are there any particular brands(in the pharmacies) that you recommend? Also any particular stores for the ceramics and linens?

Thanks,
Sudhin
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 04:57 PM

I like the L'erbolario brand of lotions and soaps. I know they are Italian but not if they are specifically Tuscan. You can get pottery in your price range. I bought small plates (maybe 6&quot to use for desserts and they were between E10 and E15. I got one from each town so they don't match but they each bring back a memory. Have fun!
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 05:21 PM

I went to Tuscany a couple of years ago and a friend asked me to bring back an olive pitter for her. I found one in a hardware shop in San Gimignano and it cost only a few euros. As a keen cook, she still enjoys using this odd item.
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 06:54 PM

When I was in Florence in October, I purchased ceramic house numbers for my new home. I got them at the market in Florence, they were at several stalls. I have yet to mount them, but they are waiting! The man at the stall wrapped them very well in bubble wrap, and I had no problem with breakage on the way home.

Happy Travels
Old Dec 14th, 2006, 07:37 PM

We discovered some delicious cheese that had truffles in it...Yummy....
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 01:37 AM

Maybe this can help:

What to buy in Tuscany - http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=207

Shopping in Florence -
http://www.tuscanweb.com/news/?ID=192
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Original Poster

Hi! Thanks for the link. I guess I am looking for more detailed info - store names , average prices and brands...This will be my first trip to Italy and I do not want to rely on my judgement..

Sudhin
Old Dec 15th, 2006, 07:52 AM

I don't have store names but I think you'll find once you get there that you will see pottery, oil, soaps in lots of places and for a variety of prices. Maybe look for the oil and vinegar carafes as gifts. I suggest that you spend some time looking at a few stores to get an idea of what things cost, the quality and I'm sure you'll get some inspiration on what would be good gifts. You'll feel a little more educated with that experience than you will by relying on what I, or anyone else, found to be true on my vacation.

There is beautiful pottery in Siena and there are several stores on the Campo.

Have a fun trip! How great that you get to go to Siena for a wedding!

Old Dec 15th, 2006, 09:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Will keep that in mind. And it is my wedding in Siena!!! So I'm uber excited....

Sudhin