Reload this Page >

Gifts from US for Irish Relatives

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Debbie

I am traveling to Ireland in May and will meet some of my Irish Relatives for the first time. I want to bring a gift (something from California) but am not sure what to bring. Any ideas? One gift is for a family and the other is for a college aged girl. Thanks....

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 05:57 AM
Meg

Debbie, not sure where in California you are from, but how about Ghiradelli chocolates?

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:30 AM
Debbie

That is a good idea. I live in SF so that would be fit perfectly. Thanks

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 06:48 AM
Meg

Debbie, too bad sourdough bread didn't travel better. I lived in SF for two years and always tried to bring it home to the east coast. I suppose if you bought it on your way to the airport, packaged it well, and saw your relatives right way it might not be bad. Sourdough bread is never as good as the baked in SF variety. You could at least make french toast with it the next morning....yum!

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:13 AM
btilke

CDs are always a good gift as CDs are much more expensive in Europe. CDs that cost $10-$15 in the states can easily be twice that overseas. Ask them what kind of music they like (especially for the college-aged girl). Otherwise, a nice California wine would be appreciated... <BR> <BR>Btilke

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 10:30 AM
Ryn

Liquor, unless they are not drinkers. <BR>Taxes make the prices on it very high, so even if I don't bring it all the way I always buy some in the duty-free for bringing to parties. I find a lot of my relatives like good Bourbon, as it is a different taste from what they are used to. <BR> <BR>A related tip, not just for Ireland, but anywhere in Europe. If you give an American regional cookbook, give an inexpensive set of measuring cups/spoons to go with it. Most of their kitchen measures are metric-only.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 11:33 AM
xxx

I just got back from Ireland and must admit that none of our chocolate in California matches up with what they have to offer. Make sure and try some of the Butler's chocolate while you're there. <BR> <BR>Pistachios and other kinds of nuts are often appreciated in Europe since they are so ocostly over there. <BR> <BR>Wine from Napa would be an appropriate gift. <BR> <BR>For a college age girl, I would consider bringing her a college sweatshirt - maybe from Berkeley or UCLA. Or some other type of fashionable clothing item. CDs are also a good idea.

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 11:36 AM
Michele

On this note, I am fron Colorado and going over to France for Europe. Does anybody have an idea for gifts for business-mates?

Old Mar 28th, 2001, 11:12 PM
btilke

If they're young, I'd take them sweatshirts from Colorado ski resorts (Aspen, Vail, Breckenridge, etc), as long as they're the more stylish type (open neck, interesting design), not the plain ones. The French are always intrigued by Western stuff even if they don't admit it. A photo book on Colorado and the West might be appreciated. Anything Native American. <BR>Btilke

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 12:47 AM
Jerry

I like the native American idea. You might also consider a Jazz CD. It is one American export we can be proud of, <BR>unlike McDo and Springer. <BR> <BR>Bon voyage, <BR>Jerry

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 04:31 AM
Paula

Debbie - I am Irish so here is my advice! Do not bring chocolates, we make some of the best chocolates in the world! Do not bring CDs either - if your relatives wanted CDs they can buy them, regardless of cost. Jazz is an aquired taste too - they might be trad Irish fans. Do bring some typically Californian things that u can't GET in Ireland - baseball caps with NFL logos, sweatshirts and that are great for the college student. Nothing with Disney on it. Or anything cool from Gap or Banana Republic would go down a real treat. Wine too is a good one - we have a lot of taxes on wine. Enjoy your trip!

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:01 AM
Ann

I was just about to post the same message as Paula. I visit relatives in Ireland often, and I'm always required to bring in Levis (very expensive there), Timberland sweatshirts, sneakers (usually Reebok or Nike or Adidas), anything from the Gap (again, v. expensive there), and Chunky Chips Ahoy cookies, for some reason.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:09 AM
Meg

Paula, I'm visiting Ireland & Paris this spring and I usually carry a few small bottles of maple syrup (I'm from Vermont) with me to give away if I meet a particularly nice & helpful person as a way to say thank you. I've found this to be a big hit on a previous trip to Spain, but what about Ireland? Would they appreciate something like this?

Old Mar 30th, 2001, 08:09 PM
Debbie

Thank you for the good ideas!!!