Gibraltar

Mar 3rd, 2001, 04:48 AM
Danny

Gibraltar

Has anyone been to Gibraltar? Is it worth it? I did a search but cam up with nothing.

Mar 3rd, 2001, 07:24 AM
mickey

Gibralter is a exelent place to visit and great for shopping duty free it is like going from Spain to England with out getting wet. Great little pubs fish and chips and the tour of St Michales cave is intresting it is a great day trip .the Rock Rocks! It's a mini London

Mar 3rd, 2001, 10:05 AM
John

It is fun, but mainly for the shopping and tours of the rock. And the biggest, coolest Safeway in Europe (with the cheapest gas/petrol prices on the continent) is right there - you can see Africa from the parking lot, then walk inside to the roast chickens, cheap paperback books in English (really hard to find in Spain) and all the mod cons.

BUT...
The Spanish make auto travel to Gibraltar absolutely hellish. It took us six hours waiting in line for the one desultory Spanish border guard to s-l-o-w-l-y look in every nook and cranny, scratch his head, look at our passports like we were from Neptune, and finally let us through. A fair portion of that cheap gas got used up in the queue. If you go, consider parking on the Spanish side and taking the bus or walking in to town (over the runway between planes).

I bought a "GBZ" car sticker, a prized possession. Oh, and the 5p coins have on them a picture of one of the apes that live on the rock - when I gave it to a shopkeeper in Yorkshire a few days later she said to a co-worker, "Did you know the 5 pence coins have monkeys on them now?" To which the co-worker said, "Yeah, I heard they were going to."

Mar 3rd, 2001, 10:41 AM
Art

We went to Gibralter last Sept. It is worth while going to for the touch on England, the rock, the apes and the supermarket. We parked on the Spanish side and were so happy that we did. It takes forever to get in and even longer to get back out in a car. The Spanish are not happy about having England (Britan) owning part of the pennensular (even though they own a patch of Africa.) Make sure that you get a picture of one of the apes sitting on your shoulders. Enjoy your trip.

Mar 6th, 2001, 05:22 PM
sandra

i was wondering how to get to gibralter from london and is it worth the trip ? i have seen gibralter from morocco and would like to go as i will be in london in april and really want to get out of london with this hoof anf mouth thing.

Mar 6th, 2001, 06:25 PM
Art

There is an airport in Gibralter and there are 4 flights a day from England if I remember correctly. They have to stop traffic as the runway crosses the road into the city. You could also find closer places to go from England. Gibralter was interesting but not worth more than 1 or 2 days at the most.

Mar 10th, 2001, 09:07 AM
geri

Gibraltar is a horrible place - avoid it like the plague. It has no charm , character - or places of interest for more than about 10 minutes - bypass it completely and spend the time in Spain. I speak as someone who lived in Gib - on and off for three years and in Spain for 13!
g