getting to Pompeii from Florence

Jan 22nd, 2008, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

getting to Pompeii from Florence

We are staying south of Florence for 10 days. Would like to plan a trip to Pompeii. Assume this requires an overnight stay. Any suggestions on the best way to plan this side trip??
Jan 22nd, 2008, 08:57 PM

Where south of Florence? Yes, you would need to spend the night. I would stay in Sorrento.

You can catch a train to Naples. In Naples you will need to switch to the local commuter train Circumvesuviana which runs between Naples and Sorrento. Pompeii is about halfway between the two. You get off at the Pompeii Scavi stop and then entrance is across the road.
www.pompeiisites.org

There's also a bus, but I think for that long of a journey you might like a train better.
www.sena.it
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:01 AM
Original Poster

We are staying near the town of Certaldo. So sort of southeast of Florence. Thank you for the information! Any suggestions of hotels to stay in while in Sorrento??
Jan 23rd, 2008, 05:39 AM
ira

Hi Luv,

You don't have to stay overnight.

The 07:52 from Florence will get you to Pompei Scavi, via Naples, before 13:00.

See www.trenitalia.com/en/index.html

Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM

Ira? Are you suggesting they travel 5 hours to Pompeii and 5 hours back AND tour Pompeii in a day? That doesn't even include their travel time from Certaldo to Florence to catch the train.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 06:57 AM

Do it as an overnight trip if you must but realize you will lose essentially two of your ten days. I wouldn't do it, but this is your vacation not mine. Is this a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Italy?
Jan 23rd, 2008, 08:25 AM
ira

Hi ky,

I am suggesting nothing.

I merely point out that the trip can be done without staying overnight.

Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:12 AM

I think Rome to Pompeii in a day is pushing it, to add an extra 2-3 hours each way is just too much.

An overnight stay would allow the OP to enjoy Pompeii at a leisurely pace, and also to see something else of the area. I always suggest the national archaeological museum in Naples, as this is where many of the artifacts from Pompeii are stored.
Jan 23rd, 2008, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the wonderful responses. Although this is a second trip to Italy , I don't know when I will be back after this. So, I consider it the trip of a lifetime! I am thinking we will spend the night. I don't want to rush the visit to Pompeii and it would be fun to spend a night in Sorrento or Naples, perhaps??? If anyone has any suggestions for places to spend the night that would be great!
Jan 23rd, 2008, 04:56 PM

OK, then. When is your trip? What's your hotel budget? More than 2 people?
Jan 25th, 2008, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Our budget is to spend no more than 200 euros on a hotel and there are 4 adults. I understand that there are hotels with rooms for 4 and we are OK with that for one night. We won't have a car -- we will be traveling by train -- so we will need to be in a spot where transportation to and from train and to and from Pompeii site are accessible. We have looked into a hotel called Il Nido in Sorrento. Was recommended on Slow Trav. Thoughts??? Thanks Jean and all other responders!
Jan 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Il Nido is in the hills above Sorrento about a 10-15 minute ride from town/train station. They do have a free shuttle that runs early mornings (and again in the afternoon/evening) for a few hours between the hotel and town/port/train station. They will run the shuttle at other times if you request for about 5-10e for your group. From Sorrento train station, Pompeii is about a 30 minute train ride and the fare is 2-3 euro.
Jan 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Il Nido shuttle schedule.
http://www.ilnido.it/sorrento_hotel_shuttle.php
Jan 26th, 2008, 08:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks KY! Have you stayed at Il Nido?? From the website it looks great but I'd love a first hand account!
Jan 26th, 2008, 08:35 AM

Yes, I've stayed there. Gianni will have someone pick you up at the train station when you arrive, just give them a call. The hotel has great views and the restaurant is a bargain.