Getting to Greece and then make plans?

Jan 26th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Getting to Greece and then make plans?

I traveled every year all over Europe in the 70's-Never making any reservation-Now everything is different with the "computer" Going to Greece and maybe Turkey in Sept 07-Do you think it wise to get to Greece and then make reservation for hotels-tours and air to Turkey? Miss Dinosaur--
Jan 26th, 2007, 10:05 PM

As opposed to making all your reservations including the ones for Turkey in advance? In September, yes, this is not a problem, especially if you bring all the booking information with you, websites and all. You can go into any internet cafe and get it done.
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:10 AM

Hello Dinosaur,

What a great post. Hope you don't mind if I share some thoughts.

In one important respect things haven't changed. Like it's good to do a little research beforehand and have an outline idea of where you'd like to go - which can change completely, of course!!

But whereas once, in the paper world, it was read, make notes, take a few photocopies - now it is so much easier to get info off the net, and like brother said, one just needs to keep a note of web addresses.

Many people do take it as an invitation to book everything in advance - and if time is short and it's high season, I suppose there is something to be said for that. Such folk would probably have had a travel agent do it for them in a paper world.

But it is still much more fun, imho, to take it as it comes. The big temptation, if you are trying to keep costs down, comes with air transport, as there are bargains to be had for booking early.

But if cost is no object even that becomes irrelevant - and all you need to know (to save time on the ground) is who is likely to fly where.

Love the net for making it possible to get current info about things like train timetables, air schedules, but if the trip lends itself to the old approach, that's still what I prefer.

Happy, happy travels.
Jan 27th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Original Poster

Thank You for your impute-There are tons of Travel Agents in Greece with special rates and tours--I'm not a computer person here let alone in another country!You both suggested computer rather a real person how come?
Thank You
Jan 28th, 2007, 03:02 AM

Ah no. That's not what I meant.

Computers nowadays for research. Once you are wherever it is you are going (Greece, anywhere) - then sure you can book on line for this or that, but you can also book face to face.

By that I mean to buy ferry tickets at the ferry port, bus tickets at the bus station. And a hotel by walking in off the street and asking if there is a room.

I thought that is what you meant.

Jan 28th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Thank You for your response Fuzzlogic-It's nice to know the "old fashion" way is still going on!!Nothing like face to face meeting the people of a country-They are a wealth of imformation- Your right the 'research' part of travel is much easier on the computer rather than spending hours and days in the library-but that was fun too--opa