Reload this Page >

Getting to Dingle

Search

Getting to Dingle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 03:42 PM
rhonda

Getting to Dingle

I'm working on my itinerary for an early Nov. trip. <BR><BR>Any input is appreciated: <BR><BR>SAT: fly into Dublin - sleep there. <BR><BR>SUN: morning train to Galway. See Galway all day, pick up rental car, drive to Doolin - sleep there. <BR><BR>MON: see Doolin, Cliffs, Burren, sleep in Doolin again. <BR><BR>TUE: drive to and explore Ennis and Bunratty. Sleep in Ennis. <BR><BR>WED: drive to Dingle. Sleep there. <BR><BR>THU: see more of Dingle; drive to Blarney and Kilkenny - sleep there. <BR><BR>FRI: drive to Glendalough, then on to Dublin - stay there. <BR><BR>SAT: back home. <BR><BR> <BR><BR>Is this viable? Do you see any gapping holes in our plan? Please advise. Thanks! <BR><BR> <BR><BR> <BR><BR> <BR><BR>How long would it take to drive from Ennis to Dingle?

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 04:43 PM
Nancy

Here's a suggestion for lunch, on the day you go to the Burren. Monks Bar in Ballyvaughn. Oysters and crab legs "to die for". It's right across from the pier and a place I'd go back to in a minute.

Old Oct 10th, 2000, 05:42 PM
Howard

Rhonda - <BR> <BR>I have been to all of the places you mention, except for Blarney. All of the places are good ones, so from that angle it is a good plan. You will be doing a lot of driving - the plan may be too ambitious. I would recommend not making hotel reservations exept for Dublin, and then planning to stick to your route, but having the ability to make changes as you go. <BR> <BR>One example of a rush is in Galway. If you get there by 11 AM (I don't know the train sched., but it is about 3 hrs from Dubline), you will have to leave Galway by maybe 3 PM to get to Doolin while it is still light. And much of Galway (stores) will be closed on Sunday. <BR> <BR>Howard

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 10:58 AM
Cathy

Rhonda <BR>Just remember that day light hours are short in Ireland in November. Leaving to drive someplace make sure you leave before 10.00/11.00am in the morning to arrive at your destination by 4.00 as it will be getting dark then. It will depend on the weather - if it is wet and miserable (as it is now) then drving will be difficult and traffic will be hell !. <BR>I would advise skipping Blarney and going straight to Kilkenny and seeing the city and the Dunmore Caves, Jerpoint Abbey etc and then the next day over the mts (or via the M50 (nearer to Dublin) to Wicklow) <BR> <BR>Hope this helps, <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 10:59 AM
Cathy

Forgot to add that as Christmas nears hen the shops and stores will be opening on Sundays <BR> <BR>Cathy

Old Oct 11th, 2000, 11:30 AM
Kate

I would also skip Bunratty & Ennis. We were in Ireland in September and were most disappointed by these two places. We loved Dingle though, stayed at Ashe's B&B - very reasonable with nice clean rooms, quiet and within walking distance to the pubs & restaurants.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 03:44 PM
NONIE

Hi Rhonda, we were just in Ireland for a few weeks and HATED DINGLE. The town is so touristy and crowded and overpriced. KINSALE is far prettier. Yes the drive to Dingle is pretty but the town is like Santa Cruz in California but worse...trashy and touristy and nothing redeeming about it. I would recommend Ennis and Bunratty - we loved both.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 02:50 PM
marylouise

Hi Rhonda <BR>I just have to put in my 2 cents and say that I strongly disagree with Nonie....with all due respect... <BR> <BR>I'm no expert on Ireland but my family had 10 WONDERFUL days there last June. We stayed 1 night Salthill...1 night Cahir...2 nights Dublin...and 6 days in a cottage on the Dingle Peninsula. The time we spent in Dingle was the best and quite memorable.The scenery was breathtaking, the people were friendly, the food in pubs and restaraunts was very good and we all enjoyed the town of Dingle. There is much to see around the peninsula of which Dingle Town is only a part. Trashy does not come to mind at all. We never found it crowded (end of June) and I just feel the need to defend it as we enjoyed it so much! Actually, Nonie's posting is the first negative about Dingle that I have seen and I've spent a lot of time on this and Pat Preston's post so....don't skip Dingle!!! Now,while I enjoyed Bunratty....that certainly seemed more "touristy". Have a good time....I have no doubt that you will enjoy where ever you go and whatever you do....it's a lovely, lovely place. Can't wait to go back. <BR>marylouise <BR>ps See the Cliffs of Moher if you have time...not far below the Burren.

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 08:06 PM
Char

Your itinerary seems doable. November you should have no trouble with lodging. <BR>B&B's are everywhere. We loved Dingle too. Slea head drive is breathtaking. Get Rick Steve's book on Ireland and follow his Slea head tour directions. <BR>The pubs in Dingle are great fun. Lots of music and local color. <BR>Bunratty is touristy but a kick. The castle folk park we loved. If you're doing the Mideval Banquet there, book ahead. Buy some Mead wine at the winery next to the Folk Park. It's honey wine and delish. Everone is right about the driving. We were there in Feb. with short days. If you're on country roads at night, it's easy to get lost. <BR>Have fun. The Irish people are the best. Bring back lots of Twinings Herbal Infusions tea. It is wonderful and can't be bought in the U.S.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 05:45 PM
Linda

Rhonda, We spent the last week of June and the first week of July in Ireland.We did your journey in reverse more or less. Dublin,Killarney,Dingle,Doolin,Galway and we flew out of Shannon.Galway is a very nice city. Doolin is a good spot for a base. The Cliffs are only about 10 min. away and the Burren about 30 min. away. The Burren is very interesting to see. Ballyvaughan was a nice town. If you are going from Ennis to Dingle think about driving to Killimer (rt.473 to rt.486) and taking the ferry to Tarbert. Then head toward Tralee and on to the peninsula. We did that route and it worked well. Dingle is great. The Connor Pass is great. You may go this way to enter Dingle town. We stayed at Duinin House which was on this road right outside of Dingle. Slea Head drive is spectacular. I still can't get over the beauty. Dingle town was nice and we had fun listening to music at the Dingle Pub and the Small Bridge pub. We enjyed a good meal at the Smokehouse. In Doolin we enjoyed Gus O'Connors for music and the Doolin Cafe had wonderful food..tiny but nice. Galway we ate at McSwiggans a very large pub/restaurant...you can get pub grub downstairs or dinner up. Enjoy.

Old Oct 18th, 2000, 05:53 PM
Patrick

The only fault I find is in Dingle. Driving to Dingle on Wednesday for one night and leaving on Thursday is too short. You say that on Thursday "see more of Dingle" then drive to Kilkenny? You'll have to leave awfully early and just not have time in Dingle. We stayed three nights there and it wasn't enough. Somehow I think you need to figure out a way to spend two nights in Dingle so you at least have one full day for that wonderful peninsula. Ennis and Bunratty are minor as far as I'm concerned. And it's hard to go to Ireland and not kiss the Blarney Stone, corny as that may be, but with your limited schedule, I think I'd really consider skipping it. It is truly one of those things to do just to say you've done it, not for any other magical reason.

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 04:03 AM
ken

rhonda, <BR>I just got back. I must say that I only had a week over in Ireland and found myself driving all the time. The road systems are not as good as our hear. In the west near Co. Galway and Kerry you are talking one lane roads. If I had to do it all over agian, I would have just did the cliffs of moher, dingle area and Killarny area. By the way, the dingle peninsula in a must! It was great! Galway is great for shopping. Dublin was NYC with out the tall buildings. Got to go, enjoy. feel free to email me. <BR>ken

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 05:04 AM
jo ann

Rhonda: I went to Ireland with 2 friends a few years ago; we had 9 days, and I in my readings ahead of time I figured out that we needed to focus, so here's what we did: <BR>We flew directly into Shannon. We missed Dublin, which we regretted, but this allowed us to really explore the SW corner, as it were. We spent a lot of time seeing the wonderful sights; not being bothered by the slow roads (30mph average does seem to be about right); and savoring our time, lovely long pub lunches, etc etc. The only regret we had was that we allocated one day to Blarney, and we all felt that we could have put that day to better use, that kissing the stone was just not that special. <BR>We were there in July, so perhaps the better weather let us enjoy the Cliffs and other outdoor spots more than you will be able to, but my suggestion would be to listen to the other posters and "prune" a bit. The country and people are so wonderful, that it's a shame not to be able to slow down and enjoy, leaving some spots for a return visit!

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 05:15 AM
Jim

Did 10 days in Ireland in May 2000. Dingle was, by far, our favorite place. Didn't like driving in Ireland though. Think we will take the bus or train next time.

Old Oct 20th, 2000, 10:48 AM
Cathy

Rhonda, <BR> <BR>Cut down on your driving and remember that daylight fades fast in Nov. and with the bad weather we have been getting recently, <BR>Cathy