Getting "Stuck" Overseas

Sep 21st, 2001, 10:18 AM
jayne

Getting "Stuck" Overseas

Many posters seem to think that those who worry about getting stuck overseas are overreacting because travelers didn't get stranded during the Gulf War. This is not a war like the Gulf War. This was is being fought on a much broader, global scale. Airlines have, so far, cut back on flights by 20 percent. Flights are still being cancelled. The terrorists are not finished doing their crap yet. Companies are laying off people left and right. If you get stranded overseas, make sure you have enough money for food and hotels till you can get a flight home. If you feel comfortable going, then go. But stop acting like by taking your trip to Paris you're fighting terrorism. You're going because you really want to take that trip. You've planned for it and dreamed about it. You're not striking a blow against terrorism. Do you think Osama Bin Laden is quaking in his burnoose because you're going to visit the Eiffel Tower?

Sep 21st, 2001, 10:37 AM
Buyer

OK Jayne, who the heck are you to even come to a board devoted to European travel??? You obviously work for OBL and the terrorists.
And who the heck made you my boss... last I checked terrorists or no, it was a free country. Piss off and take your paranoid ramblings somewhere else. No body is bashing you for NOT going anywhere.

Sep 21st, 2001, 10:50 AM
JJ

jayne,
I think your comments are right on!

Sep 21st, 2001, 11:14 AM
belle

I hear you Jayne. But to play devil's advocate. If everyone was afraid to fly, and no one did, wouldn't the economy be in a real pickle and that's just one more victory for the terrorists?

Sep 21st, 2001, 11:35 AM
Liz

Well if I get stranded overseas I will emerse myself in the local culture. Maybe they won't try to scare the living xx out of me before I travel.

Sep 21st, 2001, 11:35 AM
John G

President Bush is urging all Americans to go out and spend money to help our economy. You DO NOT help the economy by canceling your travel plans. Jayne, you remind me of the children's character, Henny Penny, who ran around screaming, "The sky is falling, the sky is falling.." We sophisticated travellers are not deterred by things that can go wrong with travel; we are very well prepared for problems that can arise. This is the difference between a TOURIST and a TRAVELLER. JG

Sep 21st, 2001, 12:05 PM
clarissa

I haven't seen anyone, here or elsewhere, claim to be striking a blow against terrorism by going forward with a planned trip to Europe this fall or winter. Going forward with one's plans isn't radical or affirmative per se - it's just normal, status quo. What people have said is that cancelling a planned trip solely because of the threat of terrorism and/or war (as distinct from doing so because transportation is unavailable or because of a specific, person tragedy, whether it results from last Tuesday's events or not) is unusual behaviour and does have a measurable impact: on people's perceptions, on the travel and tourist industries, on the US economy in general and on European economies. This doesn't mean that you don't have the right, or even a good reason, to cancel, but yes ... the decision not to go does impact (in a minor way that, across hundreds of thousands of cases, adds up to a major way) more than just yourself and your travelling companions. And I don't think it's the perceptions and feelings of "the terrorists" that we should be most worried about.

Sep 21st, 2001, 12:27 PM
elaine

It worries me when some feel justified in deciding what other people's motives or feelings are, or are not. Isn't that what gets the world into trouble?
Some of us continue to travel
to avoid disappointing ourselves, some of us feel it's striking a blow for freedom or for the economy, some us feel we need to act to overcome our own fears, some of us have to travel for business anyway and figure we might as well also travel for pleasure,and some of us have all kinds of other reasons that the rest of us know nothing about.
Please, can't we just respect other people's decisions and accept them, especially when we have no idea what's going on in the lives of fellow travelers whom we don't know?

Sep 21st, 2001, 01:16 PM
Gigi

Elaine, well said!

Sep 21st, 2001, 01:22 PM
Gigi

By way, Elaine, I hope you are doing okay. I think of you often, there in New York, and know it cannot be easy.
Blessings,
Gigi

Sep 21st, 2001, 02:31 PM
Lauren

If you choose to travel abroad in this time of uncertainty, you should have extra funds available and a plan for what you are going to do.

To those who flippantly say, "Well, if it happens to me, I'll just have a longer vacation", it doesn't work that way. Ask people who slept on the floor in Gander, Newfoundland, for a couple of days (no showers). The people who had this experience when US air space was closed did not seem to have an enjoyable time.

As for me, I am taking a wait and see attitude for now. I love foreign travel and am sad to give it up, but there are more important things in life. After September 11th, insofar as I am concerned, travel doesn't seem so important.

Sep 21st, 2001, 02:31 PM
elaine

thanks Gigi
New York is never easy, most especially not lately, but September 11 has affected so many people in so many places, that those of us in NY, DC, or PA are certainly not the only ones having a hard time.
As I prepare to leave on a trip, I'm more anxious about being away from home, NYC and the USA, then I am about whatever dangers may lurk anywhere else.
I wish us all safety, of every kind.

Sep 21st, 2001, 02:49 PM
mj

Lauren,

While I was not stuck in Gandor, I was stuck in Halifax for 4 days during this sad time.

Inconvenient, maybe - I lost time from work - but by no means was it unenjoyable. In fact, it was utterly heartwarming to see folks from many contries pull together to make the best of a situation and even more so to see the outpouring of just plain giving from the Nova Scotians.

Travel is what you make of it and to each their own.

Sep 21st, 2001, 03:44 PM
M.C.

12 days ago, if I had posted on here that I was afraid to travel because the US is long overdue for home-territory terrorism, you all would have hounded me right off the board for being a total looney.

Reality is not what it was, nor what you seem to think it is. Jayne is right, and those of you who think she is being hysterical or paranoid are fools with your heads in the sand.

Sep 21st, 2001, 03:54 PM
ja

No judgements. No criticisms. We picked up our plane tickets today. we discussed the possibility of being stranded with our travel agent, and we have a couple of strategies/plans for contingencies AND we have funds to cover contingencies. We do feel that the terrorists - all terrorists - win if we allow fear to interfere with our plans, and yes, we do really want to go on this trip. Bottom line? Each person makes the decision that is right for them, based on their own reasons; no one else has the right to question the decision someone makes for him/herself.

Sep 21st, 2001, 04:04 PM
mjs

JA said, "Each person makes the decision that is right for them, based on their own reasons." I simply cannot understand why this concept is so diificult to comprehend or accept. We all have our own considerations and risk levels that we can tolerate.Perhaps all of the time that is being devoted to vilifying other peoples' travel decisions could be devoted to more fruitful matters.

Sep 21st, 2001, 07:54 PM
Lauren

Halifax is a nice place (I did a 2 week home exchange there once) but I don't think I would enjoy extra days of vacation if I were stranded there (or anywhere else). I would be too worried about getting back.

That is, by the way, just my opinion.

Sep 21st, 2001, 11:16 PM
jayne

To John G: Anyone who would refer to himself as a "sophisticated traveler" is anything but.

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:01 AM
topper

For Jackie!

Sep 27th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Anonymous

We WERE stuck for a week in Ireland and decided to use it as an opportunity to pretend we were living there. Admittedly it was stressful worrying about our home and dog, but it was an unforgettable experience. Luckily we had an empty bank card along.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO