Reload this Page >

Getting rid of the pop-ups. Z-net?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 05:58 PM
Patrick

I thought that the site wasn't cleaned up over the weekend, but this morning I know I saw posts regarding the new pop up ads here on both this and the US boards. Now they are gone. Before they were deleted, I saw that someone said you could go to Znet and get rid of them. I went there, but didn't figure it out. Is it necessary to switch to Znet as a server in order to do this, or does someone have another method of getting rid of them. They really aren't THAT bad here, but on a couple of other sites I visit, they have become totally annoying. <BR><BR>I'm hoping someone can answer quick, before Fodors deletes this thread. Obviously they want the advertising, but I'd still like to find how to avoid it.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:06 PM
Alec

Install Pop-up Stopper on your PC by panicware.com from the net (free for a basic version). You can still allow pop-ups by pressing Ctrl key. It works well.

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 06:58 PM
Patrick

Bless you, Alec. I just downloaded it and tried a couple of what are usually the most annoying sites. The popups are immediately blocked. At first I found the little bleep in makes almost as annoying as the popups themselves, but then turned that off. Thank you!!!<BR>And no sign of Orbitz appearing here any longer either!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Patrick

Thanks again, Alec. Bringing this to the top for others who might also want to get rid of the Pop ups.

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 12:07 PM
rr

www.zdnet.com/downloads is the place.<BR>You want Zeropopup 1.38 from Tooto Technologies. It is rather good.<BR>After you download, you must unzip and install. It should show an icon on the task bar. Do left hand click on the icon and you can adjust various settings. I have not fully tested it, but so far so good.<BR>

Old Apr 12th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Patrick

Since this came back up I'll respond again. It's not been five days since I downloaded the panicware version and it is great. I haven't seen a sign of a pop up anywhere, including the one site that I had started avoiding because there were so many.