Getting from Venice to Naples

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are hammering out the details of our honeymoon and need to get from Venice to Capri...is it better to fly, and if so, is it easy to get from the Naples airport to Capri? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2005, 01:20 PM

Crecita, Think about the train. The EuroStars are fast and the trip through Tuscany, Rome, etc. is beautiful. They have first class, second class cars both of which are very nice. The cars are very comfortable. We did Venice to Rome in October and loved it. We looked at flying, but the luggage limits within Europe are tight and we'd spent a week on a cruise and had lots of luggage. I also assume that you will have a good amount unless you pack lighter than my wife. We'd do the train again in a heart beat. Go the trenitalia.com for more details! Congrats!
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 01:18 AM

Crecita - The budget airline AlpiEagles flies this route. The flight is just over an hour.

The train ride is 6.5 - 7 hrs

Flying can sometimes be cheaper than train.
Check out fares on:

www.alpieagles.com

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:03 AM

When comparing journey times, remember that the trains leave from Santa Lucia station which is in the old city of Venezia, there is no check-in time, and the train will take you to Napoli Centrale station in the centre of the city. The plane may take only an hour to fly from one airport runway to another, but the city-to-city journey time will be a lot longer.
Old Feb 25th, 2005, 03:39 AM
awbaker

We traveled from Venice to Capri last summer -- we flew to Naples; then took a cab to the ferry; and obviously ferry to Capri. It all went smoothly and the fares on Alitalia were only slightly more than the train fares -- fares on alpi eagles are even less.

The entire process was probably about 6 hours (from hotel to hotel) but it went quick since we were constantly on the move. I'd rather be on the move (and get to my destination quicker) than be sitting on a train for 7 hours, but I know that there is probably some benefit to that as well (such as taking a nap, reading a book, catching up in your journal, etc.)

Old Feb 25th, 2005, 12:26 PM

A few years ago my wife and I were in the same situation except we were going to Positano from Venice instead of Capri. We decided to fly on Alitalia from Venice to Naples then rent a car at the Naples airport and drive to Positano. I do not remember the airline ticket price being very expensive and I purchased it from a travel agent in the US before leaving. We had no problems and I would do the same thing again. It was a very nice ending to our Venice adventure taking a water taxi to the Venice airport. The flight was short and getting to Positano from the Naples airport was surprsingly easy albeit a little scary on the narrow road. Our main reason for flying instead of taking the train was to save time. We had a limited amount of time in Italy and wanted to make the most of it. I would have to think if time is a consideration, flying would be quicker and it should be easy to get from the airport in Naples to the ferry for Capri.