Reload this Page >

getting from Paris to London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 01:03 PM
Debbi

I have been reading the pro's and con's of the eurostar vs flying. Why doesn't anyone mention the ferry crossing at Chalis? We were thinking about taking a train from Paris to Chalis and then crossing on the ferry to Dover. Any thoughts?

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 01:36 PM
shannon

I've never done what you suggest but perhaps it's because it takes much longer than the other options. I know that the ferry can take more than a few hours. The following is a good site for train timetables in Europe, perhaps it will help: http://bahn.hafas.de/bin/query.exe/en

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 03:30 PM
Tony

These days the trip also involves bus connections from train to ferry, and vice versa on the other side I think. Also connections between trains/ferries/trains are no longer as good as they used to be, and the quality of some of the trains can be rather mundane. All in all, a fairly obsolete way to make the trip, since the advent of Eurostar.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 05:04 PM
Julie

If you're going city-center to city-center, I wouldn't even think of going by ferry from Paris to London. The Eurostar is quick and efficient (about 3 hours door to door). Also, unlike a plane, you only have to be there about 30 minutes before departure. You can buy your tickets from the US on Eurostar.com. I've taken Eurostar a number of times - it's excellent.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 05:33 PM
Heather

Everyone has just about said it. While the Ferry is nice for seeing the "white cliffs of Dover," the Eurostar is so much faster, easier and all together more convenient. The ferry involves trains and buses as well as the ferry. On Eurostar, you can relax and watch the beautiful countryside as you go.

Old Jul 5th, 2000, 06:21 PM
David

I agree that the Eurostar was absolutely fantastic (as train rides go). We were pleasantly surprised with the entire experience. It was easy, quick, clean and quiet. Not much scenery on the trip though. Don't get the escargot, lol!...but the meals were actually ok besides that.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Kate

I am debating between flying between cities or flying. I was going to fly since we would only have to purchase one ticket andWhat is the most inexpensive way to purchase Eurostar tickets? I don't recall which website it was but it was going to cost around 250 per person to take the train. It that a reasonable fare?

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 07:52 AM
Rick

I took the Eurostar from Paris in January 1998. The train had worked up a full head of steam and we were whipping through the country side. About an hour or so into the trip, the train stopped because there was a man sitting in the tracks. I think he had to be forceably removed. <BR> <BR>Ahhh, France....

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 08:37 AM
Debbi

Thanks to all you gave me advice. It is the best. Now someone I talked to suggusted the Hoverspeed. 35 minutes from Dover to Calis? And the cost is about $35. Anyone have any experience with this. Thanks again for the advice.

Old Jul 6th, 2000, 05:25 PM
Michael

Debbie - you have to get to Calais from Paris (cost plus time). Then you have to get from Dover to London (cost plus time). <BR> <BR>I bought my ticket for the London to Paris trip right here in New York. I paid $100. You can't beat the time just three hrs. You can't beat the location -Gare Nord in Paris to Waterloo Station. Downtown to downtown. <BR> <BR>And do you really want to cross the English channel in inclement weather. Seems to me, it would be preferable to go under the channel, than to cross it on the surface. <BR> <BR>Michael

Old Jul 7th, 2000, 10:19 AM
Christina

I've taken the hoverspeed, many years ago before the Eurostar. The 35 min crossing time is solely for the channel (as well as that price), the entire trip takes at least half a day if not more, as I recall-- you must take a train from London to Dover, and also from Boulogne (or Calais or wherever) to Paris. The Hoverspeed was quicker than the ferry (which I hated as it takes forever and can be unpleasant if the water is rough) but it's not a nice trip at all, just a way to get there more quickly than the ferry by an hour or two; it isn't a smooth ride due to the technology.

Old Jul 9th, 2000, 11:36 AM
Ben Haines

Fodors 3 <BR> <BR>I have just sent Mr Garcia, on this forum, a reply which may help. <BR> <BR>"At Paris Nord station they can sell you a ticket to Calais, at 33 US dollars per adult. They'll also tell you where in Paris you can buy the through ticket, at about 70 dollars, ParistoLondon. Single adult hovercraft fares from Calais to Dover are about 30 US dollars. And single adult fares from Dover to London are 18 pounds 20 pence, or about 31 dollars. <BR> <BR>As well as Calais to Dover these fares apply for Folkestone to Dover. <BR> <BR>If you go via Dover you might like to ask them about the trains from Dover to London Victoria, as these follow the old Dover Road of the Romans, Chaucer, and Dickens, and thus have better views. Your ticket from Dover lets you use that route or the usual one to Charing Cross. <BR> <BR>Times for the catamaran route via Folkestone are these. <BR>Paris Nord 0925, Boulogne 1245 to 1400, Folkestone 1355 to 1440, London Charing Cross 1637. <BR>And for the Hovercraft via Dover <BR>Paris Nord 1419, Calais 1732 to 1800, Dover 1735 to 1821, London Victoria 2017. <BR> <BR>If you're not buying a through ticket you can lunch on the SeaFrance boat, thus: Paris Nord 0925, Calais1301 to 1400, Dover 1430 to 1523, Victoria 1723. The lunch is delicious, and with wine costs about 25 US dollars." And you can choose the escargot, if you want. <BR> <BR>The French trains are quite as elegant as those of Eurostar, and are less crowded. They go at a speed that gives you a view of the countryside: Eurostar trains rush past. The Kentish trains are variable in elegance, but always comfortable. The busses at the ports are free. The boats have stabilisers and do not rock: the catamarans and hovercraft may bounce somewhat. <BR> <BR>You board at Paris Nord, five platforms along from Eurostar, up to two minutes before departure, and with no queuing nor passing of checkpoints. <BR>You step off at Charing Cross or Victoria (you choose which), both of them more central than Waterloo. <BR> <BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe. <BR> <BR>Ben Haines, London <BR> <BR>