Getting from one place to another

Dec 21st, 2001, 06:06 PM
Debbie

Getting from one place to another

I can find info on Venice, Florence, etc. But what is a resource I can use to find out how to get from one place to another, how to get from the railroad to my hotel, from the airport to train, etc?
How far one place is from another, ie, traveling from Florence to Cinque Terre.
Thanks

Dec 21st, 2001, 08:03 PM
Greg

Debbie,

Trains in Europe are easy. The stations are centrally and there is plenty of public transportation when you arrive. Venice to Florence is less then a 2 hours train ride. From Florence to the Cinque Terre is around one hour. The best website for train schedules I have evr found is "http://mercurio.iet.unipi.it/misc/timetabl.html". Use the Swiss timetable for every distination, it is the most user friendly. For other information about getting around cities, try "visiteurope.com". Those two sites should answer all your questions. When are you planning to travel?

Greg

Dec 21st, 2001, 08:23 PM
Holly

The Frommers (sorry Fodors) guides have a section at the beginning of each city they list that tells you where the train and bus stations are in proximity to the town, and if you'll need to take a shuttle from the station to the center, and which shuttle to take if needed. A lot of times they have a little map of the town showing the center, and you can figure out if it's walkable to your hotel or wherever. This same section also tells you what the distance is in time to get to that town from a few other key towns from which you might be traveling, as well as cost of a ticket and frequency of those connecting trains or buses. And it tells you where the information booths are located and what their hours are. There's some other pertinent information there that you might find valuable, as well.

Dec 22nd, 2001, 07:00 AM
Mariarosa

Budget travel guides, like Lonely Planet and Let's Go are very good for logistics (getting to and from train to center of cities, etc.). It will say where to walk to, what local bus to take, etc. The downside is that budget travel guides have budget hotels, which may not be what you are looking for, so it's a good idea to get a second travel guide for hotels, walking tours, etc.

Dec 22nd, 2001, 12:16 PM
Bob Brown

I agree with the advice given above.
Mariarosa is right on target with her comments about the budget travel books.
The directions for bus and train transportation in the Let's Go series are usually good.
I unfortunately have found errors in directions in Frommers. I know last year we were trying to reach Nymphenburg Castle and took the street car line as directed. Surprise, it didn't go there!
But we found it ok after we transferred to another line.

In Paris, there are shuttle van services that cost less than taxis. But the RER train is perhaps the most expeditious way to make the trip, particularly if you want to go at an hour when traffic may well be backed up. Paris is no different from American cities; traffic is clogged at morning and evening rush hours during the week.
And parking is a challenge in Paris!!!
And just about every other city in Europe!! Even Salzburg is tight on parking.

Dec 27th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Leslie

Go to Barnes and Noble and buy a good Michelin map of the area you intend to travel. The scale and the road size (autostrade vs. backroads) will give you a sense of distances and routes via car. Also, there is usually an inset with driving times/distances between key cities.

As to train routes and times. The Rick Steves books on Europe give quick reference maps on distances/times and standard ticket costs. Then the trenitalia website will give you exact schedules.

Dec 27th, 2001, 07:41 PM
MaryC

"I've been there...can't get there from here (I've been there, I know the way)"

Sorry, couldn't resist quoting REM. I've been DYING to for days. ; )