Search

Getting from Lucca, Italy to Cannes, France

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting from Lucca, Italy to Cannes, France

Hello,
I am traveling from Lucca, Italy to Cannes Italy at the end of September. Weighing the
options:
1. train(seems to be several changes of trains, Also many stops and travel time seems about 8 hours.
2. Hiring a driver- ride is about 4 + hours- question is how is it to be a passenger in a car driving the coast from Italy to Cannes. Cliffs and high speed make me pretty uncomfortable- some articles say DO NOT drive this route- does that mean an inexperienced driver or is the ride itself terrible even as a passenger.?
Thanks for any advice. We need to get there but don't want to be white knuckled the whole time.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 02:10 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe board and tagged for France and Italy
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 02:41 PM

The drive is kinda scary for the driver around Genoa - but there are many tunnels that will provide a reprise. A "worried" passenger who has a stiff drink of alcohol or a sedative shouldn't have any problem if they sit in the back seat.

We've driven the route 4-5 times & took the train once. The train was not nearly as interesting sightseeing wise as I was lead to believe.

Stu Dudley
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The bus has great views, only 2 changes
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 11:52 PM

Alternatives are given here. Car would be very expensive as the cost given is only for the fuel.

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Lucca/Cannes
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 12:21 AM

I'd assume the warning about the drive is related to traffic not danger. I've done it a few times and outside being irritated I had to watch the road and not the view it wasn't a danger.

Old Jun 21st, 2022, 01:09 AM

It's mostly motorway. I've done bits of that road, and cannot see what would be dangerous about it. Can you link the articles that advice against driving this route?
4+ hours seems optimistic. 5+ would be more likely. The bit from the motorway exit to Cannes centre could easily take half an hour.
Your driver would have to return to Lucca, so will have a 10 hour drive - this will cost you.
How about rental car to Ventimiglia and train to Cannes?
Or taxi to Genoa and train from there, cutting out some of the train transfers? That looks like only 4,5 hours from Genoa to Cannes.