Reload this Page >

Getting from Glasgow to Stirling, and any helpful info. about Scotland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 11:41 AM
Jennifer

I was supposed to leave from San Diego for Glasgow last Fri., but because of the attacks my flight was postponed until Wed. I am studying at the University of Stirling for this next year and will need to take a shuttle from the Glasgow airport to the Queen St. Railway Station, take a train to Stirling, then take a taxi to my school. Does anyone have information about costs or any tips on how to make this trip easier? Any information about traveling in Scotland or what it's like in Stirling would be greatly appreciated. <BR>Thank you

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 11:56 AM
janis

Don't know the costs since I usually drive in Scotland. But it is a short journey - it is less than 60 miles total. You could probably take a bus as well, which is cheaper but would take longer. <BR> <BR>You will love Stirling - the Castle is magnificent (some folks are more impressed by it than by Edinburgh Castle.) <BR> <BR>Travel from Stirling to Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews, Inverness etc is very easy. <BR>

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 01:16 PM
Bill Barr

Jennifer <BR> <BR>Walk straight out of the terminal building at Glasgow and directly in front of you is the bus lane (plus shelters to protect against our inclement weather). You need to take the Citylink 905 service, which runs every 10 minutes Monday to Friday (half hourly after 9pm). The journey time to the city is around 20 minutes and the bus stops right outside Queen Street Station on West George Street. The one-way fare is £3.30 <BR> <BR>Trains to Stirling depart almost every 30 minutes and the journey time is no more than 40 minutes. It can take as little as 30 minutes if the service is one of the regular 'straight through' services (To Aberdeen via Stirling). A one-way ticket costs £4.30 if you travel after 9 a.m. <BR> <BR>There used to be a coach service to the university from Stirling station but I'm not now sure if this is still operating. There is a taxi rank at the main door of this station and the journey to the university should take no more than 10 minutes. I don't have any idea of the cost but expect it to be no more than £5 <BR> <BR>You will love Stirling (and its castle). Very friendly local folks well used to the many students in the town. Some of the surrounding areas are very beautiful and I recommend you take the chance to visit Doune, Dunblane, Crieff and Auchterarder. <BR> <BR>Bill

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 02:47 PM
Louise

Jennifer <BR> <BR>The Students' Union, whose telephone number you will have in the papers sent to you by the University, will almost certainly be running a minibus service from the station at Stirling to the campus, especially for Freshers. Try calling to check, and I'm sure they'll make sure you're looked after.

Old Sep 17th, 2001, 03:21 PM
lee

I'm heading to Glasgow next week. I've been to Glasgow several times but not Stirling. I know there's bus service to Stirling from the Buchanan Bus Station in downtown Glasgow. Am not sure about trains to Stirling. <BR> <BR>Bus from Glasgow Intl Airport to the Glasgow train station costs 2.5 pounds. <BR> <BR>Glasgow's a great place for walking and you're only 50 min. from Edinburgh by train. It'll take you a couple of days to acclimatize to the accent. <BR> <BR>Cheers!

Old Sep 24th, 2001, 11:28 AM
Gregory

I graduated from Stirling university this year with a MSc. You will have a great time and Stirling University campus is one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK. Plenty of buses from the town centre to the University ( 75p or £1 each way).Exit the railway station , head up the street in front of you turn right and it is the second bus stop on the left. <BR> <BR>If you have any more questions feel free to email me.