Getting Around Lisbon - Help Plan Stay

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:42 AM
DC

Getting Around Lisbon - Help Plan Stay

I will arriving into Lisbon on a Sunday morning and cruising out of Lisbon 11pm Monday. How do I best plan my time, especially since many tourist sites are closed on Monday.
Does this plan look possible within 8 Hours:
Sunday - Belem & Sintra
Torre de Belem (Closed Monday)
Mosteiro do Jeronimos (Closed Monday)
Pena Palace & Gardens (Closed Monday)
National Palace
Moorish Castle
Queluz Palace
Monday - Lisbon
Tourist Bus
Castelo de Sao Jorge
Jewish Quaters
etc.

What is the easiest way to get 8 people from the Ritz Four Season Hotel to Belem ?
and easiest way to then get to Sintra ?

Thank You

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:00 AM
Shannon

Your plan is a little tight. You could see Belem on Monday, it's a great place to stroll around outside -- nice park area and monuments. The easiest way to get there is take the electric bus from the seafront. It goes directly there and back.
Sintra is an easy ride 1/2 hr. ride on the train from the center of town, and the cost is unbelievably low. At the other end, however, you will have to pay the money you saved taking the train in order to take the bus to the castle (it makes several stops in Sintra, so you can get on and off the bus). However, the palace is really something to see -- I seem to remember it said that the royal who created it was a relative of mad Ludwig, the royal who built Neuschanstein in Germany. I enjoyed this castle more, simply because the architectural styles were so bizarre, and the view was terrific.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 10:34 AM
DC

Shannon thank you for your reply.

Would I be missing too much by going to Belem on Monday?
The Torre de Belem and Mosterio de Jeronimous are closed on Monday.

I've also had recommendations to do Lisbon and Belem on Sunday, and then do Sintra on Monday. The only problem with this is Pena Palace is closed, and that seems to be the big site to see in Sintra.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:07 PM
Kris

I think I'd cut out Quelez on Sunday otherwise you'll be trying to squeeze too much in and won't enjoy anything as you'll constantly be looking at your watch. If you really have your heart set on Quelez it's open on Monday but it would another train ride.

If you get an early start on Sunday, take the tram out to Belem and see the monastery/tower (my personal preference would be the coach museum over either of those as if you don't have enough to think about), catch the tram back to Rossio station and get out to Sintra by 1:00 or so you should still have enough time to enjoy Sintra.

Or you could go out early to Sintra, see what you want to see and then see how much time is remaining.

Definitely use the bus in Sintra as well as the tram that further up to Pena Palace. The terrain is pretty steep.

And I wouldn't go to Sintra without seeing Pena Palace. The National Palace is nice but Pena is the one you want to see.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 01:41 PM
ilene

I agree with the other posters that Monday looks a little tight. You could do it all but if you want to be less hectic, I would also move Belem to Monday and spend most of the day sunday in Sintra. I don't think you'll miss much if the tower in Belem is closed. It is more interesting from the outside. Also the Monestary is absolutely amazing from the outside so I think you'd be okay not going in.

You might want to spend Monday going to Belem in the morning and then seeing the other sights in Lisbon (e.g. ALfama, Jewish quarters, etc.) during the day. Because I don't know anything about Portuguese history (unlike going to France or England where you almost can't help but know something) and because many of the museums do NOT have signs in English, I wouldn't go crazy with museum type things. I think Lisbon is more fun to just walk around, shop, eat leisurely meal(s). The Baixa area is fun at night.

As far as Sunday in Sintra, I would ask the concierge at the 4 Seasons to hire a driver for you. I stayed there and did that and while it was a little extravagent (it cost us about $100 for the day for a regular car with 2 passengers), it was great. Our driver was very knowledgeable and we were able to fit more in than we ever would have been able to do if we tried to catch trains. I am not sure whether this will work for 8 people but you could give it a try by asking for a minivan or split into two cars. In one day the driver took us- first, to see a panaromic view of lisbon from a park (can't remember the name), next to Queluz, then to Sintra for the National Palace and then up to Pena Palace. When were done with all that he drove us to the coast to see the ocean and then to Cascais (which I would skip if I did it again). We told the driver what we wanted to see and then he suggested the most logical order to do it in based on distance, closing times, traffic, etc.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 02:38 PM
John G

I don't know how you are going to see all these sites in two days because it took me 9 days with the same itinerary.

You could spend Sunday exploring Belem, Torre Belem, Jeronimos, Coach Museum, Monument to the Discoverers, because they are all in the same vicinity. Plan at least 3 hours for your outing here.

Later, you could visit the Se and Castelo Sao Jorge in Alfama and have dinner at one of the restaurants here.

On your way back to your hotel you could stop off in Baixa to shop before you get on the Metro at Restauradoes to get back to the Ritz.

Next day, get on the Metro near Ritz and get off at Restaurdoes and go to Rossio Station and take the train to Sintra. I think the train to Sintra takes 30-45 minutes. You could spend all day in Sintra exploring Pena Palace and Palacio National. You must also stop for lunch at one of the pretty cafes and leave time to shop.

I don't think you have time to see Queluz. I think after seeing Sintra you will be exhausted.

With 8 people, I would cab it to Belem to save time. You could take two cabs and the fare will be cheap per person as apposed to 8 individual train tickets.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 04:28 PM
DC

Thanks for all the replies, I think we will take it easy. Do Sintra on Sunday, Lisbon and Belem on Monday, and forget Queluz Palace on this trip.

Do you suggest buying a LISBOA CARD ?
About $11US for 24hrs and 16US for 48hrs. Are they good for the train to Sintra ?

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 06:51 PM
Kris

We had a Lisboa card and I remember having to purchase a train ticket to go out to Sintra. The pass is good for transportation in Lisbon and a lot of the sites/museums are free including the palaces in Sintra. Here's a website with a description of the pass:

http://www.atl-turismolisboa.pt/leisure/cards.htm

I remember thinking at the time that it didn't really save us any money and I don't think it cut any lines like the Paris pass does. I can't find the admission prices of the palaces on the web but I don't think they were much.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 09:55 PM
moorish castle

In Sintra there is also the the remains of "Moorish Castle" to see, down the Pena Palace, breathtaking views as well.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:37 AM
Lisbon gal

Don't forget to peak in and say hi! to Vasco de Gama at his tomb in the cathedral in Belem!

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:28 AM
Gigi

Hi, DC
I am a big fan of Portugal. Lisbon is a lovely old city that I am sure you will enjoy.
On another thread a gentleman, Pedro (sorry if that's incorrect) gave a website. I looked it over and it overs a lot of good information. I see it does have car service. You may wish to email this group and see if it a better fit for your group of 8. How nice if you could get a van.
I have seen the Palace of Queluz. The painting on the ceilings and walls is lovely. That said, I think you would do better, however, do spend the time in Sintra and specifically, the Pena Palace.
I stayed on the ocean near there, Praia de Mar, and the views are spectacular. Caba de Roca is lovely!
I love Portugal. It is a marvelous country. I am sure you will have a great time.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Gigi

Goll, darnit, anyway. I always forget the url!

Here it is:
http://www.geocities.com/tomstravel.geo/travel0203.htm

I see on the website they have buses and vans and car hire.
Good luck!
Gigi