Reload this Page >

getting around in Turkey

Search

getting around in Turkey

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:28 PM
Yvonne

getting around in Turkey

My sister and I are travelling to Turkey on our own for about 10 days in April. We would like to know whether or not it's possible to get around (mainly the west and southwest, including Ankara and Cappadocia) via public transportation, i.e. bus, train.... We would definitely NOT consider driving in a foreign land. How about a private taxi/guide? Does any one have idea whether that's doable and the approximate cost? What would be a reasonable time frame to be spent in Istanbul alone? <BR>Thanks in advance for any suggestions/recommendation/advice that you can offer. <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Paulo

We didn't visit Ankara and Cappadocia. We toured the western coast by car. <BR> <BR>From what we've seen in our itinerary, the long distance intercity bus service is excellent, much better than in most richer countries. Short distance transport is provided by less confortable buses and "dolmuses", and it's very cheap. <BR> <BR>We met a couple in out hotel in Kusadasi that hired a taxi for the better part of a day (to Priene, Miletus, Didima and a beach) at a cost (after much bargaining) of $50. <BR> <BR>We spent 5 nights, 4 1/2 days, in Istanbul and wouldn't complain if we were forced to double that <BR> <BR>Paulo

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 04:31 PM
M&J

Hello Yvonne--we thoroughly enjoy Turkey and two write ups, one for the first time traveller to Istanbul and on on the Aegean Coast. If you want to read them, let us know---but we charge!You have to share your trip with when you return.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:12 PM
Paule

I'm going to Turkey this summer, so I've been doing a lot of research. As Paolo says, the intercity bus network is excellent and cheap. However, the distance between Istanbul and Cappadocia or Ankara is great, so, if you want to visit the region, you might be wise to fly. The 1-way fare between Istanbul & Cappadocia is about $90. Though higher than the bus, it might be a wise investment because of your limited time. <BR>If you go to Cappadocia, I can recommend the agent that I'm working with; he offers guided tours, which you and your sister might consider. There are, I believe, many tours available in the region, however. <BR> <BR>I would think that in 10 days, you'd see either 2 or 3 regions; in my mind, the most important would be Istanbul and Cappadocia, and if you wish to add another area, I'd think that the area around Ephesus would be the most appropriate. Again, I would suggest flying there rather than riding there to maximize your time. I don't think there'd be a problem in finding tours locally to take you around the sights, and, as Paolo suggested, it may be possible to hire a cab to privately take you around. <BR>

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Sandy

Hi Yvonne, <BR> <BR>A friend and I (two ladies) went to Turkey a couple of years ago and Turkey still remains on my list of "most" favorite places (and I've been almost everywhere). The people are incredible, the friendliest and most helpful! <BR> <BR>We spent 5 days in Istanbul, flew to Izmir for two days, and then on to Selcuk (Ephesus)for what was supposed to be two days but we loved it so much, we stayed for five. <BR> <BR>We flew between Izmir/Istanbul because it is so far and so long on the bus. We took dolmuses between Izmir/Selcuk. It is very easy to travel and get around in Turkey, everyone will help you (really, not just for tips, they are genuinely nice folks). <BR> <BR>Turkey is on my list of places to return. Take plenty of extra bags to bring back all the souvenirs you will buy (we're not shoppers AT ALL and we went crazy--we left home w/one small carry-on bag and came back w/10). <BR> <BR>You will have a wonderful time! Be sure to eat Turkish pizza, it's the BEST! <BR> <BR>Sandy <BR>

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 07:44 AM
mimi

We ,husband and I ,visited Turkey last April on our own. We had no trouble and loved the country. We flew into Istanbul days later we took the night train to Ankara. We had a private compartment which was better than the trains we used in Europe. You have to get the train from the Asia side so you can take a cab or the ferry. We had no trouble buying the tickets which were about $40 a piece, cheaper than flying or renting a hotel room. From Ankara we rode the local bus to Capaddocia. There are many companies so you have to know what city you want to go to. It was only about a 4 hr. trip and the bus was a Mercedes with an attendant who gave you drinks and lotion for your hands. It was very comfortable and we enjoyed being the only Americans on the bus. In Cappadocia we hired a driver who took us all over for the day. You will probably have no difficulty renting a cab and making a deal for the day or two. Our only trouble there was the weather which was rainy. We went back to Ankara to visit friends and then flew to Ismir. The tickets were purchased by a travel agent the day before and cost about $75. It was easy and cheap to get to the airport for taxis in Turkey are cheaper than anywhere else and they are really honest. We spent three days alone in Istanbul and are sorry that we did not have more time. Be sure to take the boat up the Bosphorus, the large one that takes over 5 hours. Would love to go back and take a Guillet cruise.

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 08:50 AM
sarah

yvonne <BR> <BR>My sister and I spent only a week in Turkey and did enjoy it. Be aware that local buses allow smoking. And it was our observation that it seems that every turkish male smokes - non-stop. The buses provide tea and sodas for long trips which we took - but no relief from the gagging smoke. As two women alone - I would suggest one of the gazillion tours out to their tourist destinations from one the gazillion travel agencies there. PS we stayed at a great hotel called Empress Zoe. I highly recommend it in Istanbul. A bit funky, but fun and great location. Enjoy the mezas.!!!