Reload this Page >

Getting around in Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 1999, 07:37 AM
Julie

We are staying 5 days in Oia, in Santorini. Do the buses run fairly refularly and on time? Or should we rent a car to get around in, and if so, for the entire time? (and should we get a moped?) Thanks!

Old May 28th, 1999, 08:28 AM
Bly

Julie - from the guidebooks and friends, the buses do run fairly regularly during the summer. We were there last October - off season- and the bus schedule was shortened. We rented a car easily once we got there and never ended up taking the bus. This, again, may be because it was the very end of the summer season. You didn't mention when you were traveling. To make a long story short - too late - if you're going during the height of the season, you should have no problem with the bus system. If you're going in early spring or late fall, rent a car. I would wait until you get there to consider renting a moped. Going to the wineries and beaches was fairly hilly with narrow windy roads. Be sure to take the path down from Oia to the fisherman's village at the bottom of the cliffs for a sunset and cocktails. Have fun! b <BR>

Old May 28th, 1999, 08:28 AM
Bly

Julie - from the guidebooks and friends, the buses do run fairly regularly during the summer. We were there last October - off season- and the bus schedule was shortened. We rented a car easily once we got there and never ended up taking the bus. This, again, may be because it was the very end of the summer season. You didn't mention when you were traveling. To make a long story short - too late - if you're going during the height of the season, you should have no problem with the bus system. If you're going in early spring or late fall, rent a car. I would wait until you get there to consider renting a moped. Going to the wineries and beaches was fairly hilly with narrow windy roads. Be sure to take the path down from Oia to the fisherman's village at the bottom of the cliffs for a sunset and cocktails. Have fun! b <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 10:19 AM
Julie

Thanks for the note. We will be there the second week of June. Is that high season enough, do you think?

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 02:35 PM
Bly

Julie - I think you'll probably be fine in June with the buses. Be sure to check out the wineries - the wine is ok but the views are great! b <BR>

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 05:12 PM
howard

<BR>We rented a car for the week we were in Fira (the last week in June), and were glad we did. It was cheap, and we didn't have to wait for the overcrowded, hot busses; we just went when and where we wanted to. <BR>Re: mopeds. The road from Ia (there's only one) is windy (as in twisting and turning) and windy (as in lots of wind). How are your nerves and reflexes? How windy is it? At the roadside stop at the narrowest part of the island, the tables and chairs are cemented into the ground. <BR>Don't miss the boat trip into the caldera and over to Nea Kameni; it's an unforgettable day. Have a wonderful time!

Old Jun 2nd, 1999, 09:55 PM
Mike

hi- <BR> <BR>we just returned from santorini. we took taxis everywhere. they were cheap and it made it much easier to get around. drivers in greece are really rude and reckless. if you don't mind a little stress on your vacation try renting a car.

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 12:43 AM
Jo

Don't rent a moped. Myself and my fiancee hired one each. Mine ran out of petrol (although the gauge showed full) after about 10 minutes, and his broke down and required walking back (over very steep terrain). Also, they don't like the hills too much - they are extremely steep. <BR>

Old Jun 3rd, 1999, 04:06 PM
jdelder

Hi Julie: <BR>We just returned from Santorini. It is a very easy island to get around. Buses run frequently to all the major destinations/sites. True, they can get full but that's half the fun. In some cases if the bus was packed standing room only & it was too hot, we opted for a taxi. Usually there were lots of taxis near the bus stops anyway. The island is so small everything is within a 20 minute drive. Taxis are readily available & inexpensive. Within Fira and Oia, you can walk basically anywhere in the villages. We didn't rent mopeds, but they seemed to be popular with lots of folks. Enjoy, J

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 12:17 AM
Sharon

Hi Julie, <BR> <BR>I would definitely go for the motorbikes - not the small ones but rather the automatic ones like the Gillera Runner or similar. With the motorbikes you can go everywhere without having to use buses (which are extremely packed on summer) or taxies (which are never there when u really need them),it is easy to handle and 2 people can use one motorbike. The only reservation I have has to do with safty - be sure to drive slowly and not to try dangerous tricks, as many people spend their holiday in the Santorini hospital because of it. <BR>Have a great trip.

Old Jun 9th, 1999, 12:19 AM
Sharon

Hi Julie, <BR> <BR>I would definitely go for the motorbikes - not the small ones but rather the automatic ones like the Gillera Runner or similar. With the motorbikes you can go everywhere without having to use buses (which are extremely packed on summer) or taxies (which are never there when u really need them),it is easy to handle and 2 people can use one motorbike. The only reservation I have has to do with safty - be sure to drive slowly and not to try dangerous tricks, as many people spend their holiday in the Santorini hospital because of it. <BR>Have a great trip.