Search

Germany - when to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Germany - when to go?

Hi everyone,

I'm considering a trip back to Germany in 2008. The last time we were there was in the month of June. We did have a lot of rain, but also some beautiful days.

What month is your favorite?

Thanks!

Monica
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 10:49 AM

All things considered (pricing included) I would say April or May.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:33 PM

Spring is my favorite season in Germany. The April-May time is about right. Everything turns green, the mustard fields, trees and flowers boom. Tourism is still light. Mugginess is unlikely.

A bit of rain or even snow is price for all this but worth it to me.

Regards, Gary
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM

To me it depends on where you're going. If you'll be spending anytime on the Mosel or in the wine region I would suggest harvest season, late September.

We went there once during that time of year and just loved it. All the little towns were having their festivals, the wine was flowing, everyone seemed to be in such wonderful spirits. The castles amid fall colors were even more beautiful.

Just one turnips two cents worth. Cheers!
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:39 PM

I went this past March, and stayed in Munich as a base to tour Bavaria and parts of Austria. It was cold and rainy the entire time. We were taunted by signs of the approaching Easter holiday season, so April-May looked like it would be gorgeous! BTW--spent A LOT of time in all the beer halls instead to get out of the rain, which was fun in another way.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 02:40 PM

We were in Bavaria in mid-February and it was glorious to see everything in the snow. (Of course, we live in Texas, so the snow made everything special.)
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:07 PM

We like Germany year round, but so far, our favorite trips have been in late September/early October for the fall colors and harvest, and December for the Christmas markets and generally festive feel.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:21 PM

The last 2 yrs, we've gone in May and the weather has been pretty good. You also have more daylight hours in May than in the fall and the flowers are really beautiful. Everything is so green that time of year.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 03:35 PM

We spent Valentine's Day in Bavaria/Franconia in 2005. I grew up in Texas and DH grew up in Wisconsin... we now live in Colorado (Denver). It was MUCH colder in Germany than it was here and it was the damp sort of cold that creeps through all your layers. Beautiful, but we probably wouldn't go back in the dead of winter again unless going to the Christmas markets
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 06:28 PM

Anytime except August. I think Europe goes on holiday then. The rest of the year depends on what you are interested in and where you are going. Oct can be a cool, rainy time of year in Bavaria.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:08 PM

We must have followed susanteach to Germany last March. Everyone we spoke with said, "you're lucky you weren't here last week!" Rain, snow etc.
We went in the middle of March and there was snow on the ground but it wasn't snowing or raining. We bundled up and enjoyed the snow, since we are from the Southwest it was a treat.

We are now planning a trip for Oct. Germany is such a beautiful place we haven't had our fill.
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 09:14 PM

norrisken,
We are planning to visit the Southern end of Germany in Oct. It seemed like all the ocktoberfest crowd would be gone then? Is Sept really much better?
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:58 PM

If given a choice I would go in Sept. The weather is better overall. I've not been bothered by Oktoberfest crowds. Early Oct airfare can be cheaper though.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:00 AM

Another vote for spring. Germany in late April/May is absolutely beautiful. The hills are so green, the fields are in bloom, the mornings are fresh and cool and the daylight lasts until after 9pm.

After a long winter, when I drive over the hill and down into the valley where I live (a tiny village in the Rhineland Pfalz), I honestly can't believe that I get to live in so beautiful a place. I try to remember that feeling in the dead of winter...
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 01:31 AM

One advice from yours sincerely who hails from the publishing industry: Avoid staying in Frankfurt during the book fair period. Hotels typically increased their rates to ridiculous levels several days before the event. This year it'll be on from Oct 3 to 9. Nothing the Frankfurt Bookfair organizer suggested has worked so far. Advance booking won't help much.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:25 AM

I have never been to germany! Is it a good country? with the world cup, there must be a good atmosphere there!

www.valenciaestademoda.com
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your input! I can't go in September because of my job. I usually travel in May and October and it sounds like most people like the May timeframe.

marina, Germany is a wonderful country to visit! Lots to see and do. I loved Bavaria with the castles; the Romantic road with the quaint small towns; the Rhine river area; Heidelberg, Munich, etc. People are friendly, food is good! Go!

Monica
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:15 AM

I was in Southern Germany years ago in April/May and I remember it being chilly and rainy. We are going this summer in July/August so I'm curious as to what I'll find (heat/humidity?)
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:31 AM

marina, I can only ditto what monicapileggi said. Germany is wonderful even when it's covered in snow.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 05:34 AM

May is definitely a great time to visit. The flowers are in bloom, the grass is nice and green, and its not as crowded. We did get a few days of chilly weather and rain, but overall it was gorgeous.

Tracy

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -