Germany Itinerary Help, Please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts

I’ve perused so many of the posts and trip reports that I can no longer think clearly and am second guessing our plan, and I’m hoping the seasoned travelers here can help.

We (2 adults, 2 children (7, 12)) arrive in Frankfurt (April 3) and depart from Munich (April 10). Non-stop flight from DC. We have a rental car reserved and had planned the following:

Lodging: Rothenburg odT
April 3: Drive to Rothenburg ob der Tauber. Both of us are capable of sleeping on the plane, so we’re not too worried about jet lag and driving. Light sightseeing.
April 4: Sightsee in Rothenburg odT, perhaps Schillingsfurst if the Falcon Yard is open
April 5: Wurzburg and possibly Bad Mergentheim

Lodging: Fussen
April 6: Leave Rothenburg odT for Nordlingen and Dinkelsbuhl; Arrive in Fussen late.
April 7: Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau
April 8: Lindau? Salzburg? Berchtesgaden?
April 9: Wieskirche, Mittenwald
April 10: Depart from Munich Airport

Besides the flights, the only other non-negotiables are Neuschwanstein and Mittenwald; everything else can be rearranged. This is our first trip to the area (except for Salzburg), with no particular focus—we’re happy to see whatever there is to see. The children really want to see Salzburg, and I’m not opposed at all to a return visit. What should we add/substract or otherwise change?

Thanks!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Staying in Füssen, you'll be too far from Salzburg and Berchtesgaden for day trips. You should look for lodging in that area. Lindau should be dropped (too far).

The Zugspitze should be included - the kids will love it.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:12 AM

When we went to Germany a few years back we also used this site: http://www.bensbauernhof.com/ There are people there just devoted to traveling in Germany. There are many photos of recommended lodgings. Are you going to stay at bed and breakfast type places? That is what did for many of the night and it was lovely and less expensive than hotels. I have a trip report posted there. http://www.bensbauernhof.com/pmiller2005.html I loved Germany. We arrived in Munich and left from Frankfort - so the opposite of what you are doing. We stayed in Berchtesgaden - absolutely loved it!! I also had my dream fulfilled seeing Neuschwanstein castle.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:27 AM

do the first stay in würzburg. it is fair to go there from frankfurt. the city has plenty to see. the trip to rothenburg is too long and you would have to go back to würzburg if you would do this as planned. from würzburg via bad mergentheim to rothenburg. then dinkelbühl and nördlingen. then go down to the allgäu area with füssen and neuschwanstein. you may do a side-trip to the bodensee area which is within reach. but leave out salzburg and berchtesgaden which is too far away and would mean a lot of driving (be wise on spending your limited time). finally make your return to munich. if you have a couple of hours, the city has to see much, too.

so you're flying on united. good choice, i like their service. if it is lufthansa, it is okay as well. they have the better food (my personal experience).
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:55 AM
ira

Hi FF,

>Lodging: Rothenburg odT

We very much enjoyed staying at http://www.haus-karin.de/engl.htm.
See trip report http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=35014078

Can your kids have their own room? I don't think that she has anything larger than doubles.

>Lodging: Fussen<
We were quite happy at http://www.hotel-hechten.com/

Again, I don't know if they have quads.

For April 8, I suggest that you stop by Linderhof (http://www.schloesser.bayern.de/engl...ts/li_schl.htm) on your way to Wieskirch and Mittenwald. You don't have time for the other spots this trip.

Old Mar 6th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone for your ideas.

Forgot about the Zugspitze--need to fit that somewhere.

Holly76, we're flying Lufthansa, and I agree that the food is better although it's all relative when you're flying Economy. I like the Wurzburg idea for the first night and making the first half of the trip more time-efficient.

It's the second half where we're stuck-we can't decide whether to go east to Salzburg or west to the Bodensee for a night. Are we staying in Fussen too many nights?

We're saving Munich for another trip, probably combined with the Czech Republic. Our return flight is noon, which makes me think we should stay closer to the airport on that last night.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Ira, thank you. Our posts overlapped and I did not see yours. I'm saving your trip report for lunch reading. And thank you for the Linderhof suggestion, I hadn't even considered that. It's so pretty--our daughter will love it!

We don't have Rothenburg lodging yet; in Fussen we're staying a bit outside the city proper in a lodge that will afford us a small kitchen--it's just nice to have a few basics around in the mornings, and to be able to have coffee without dressing up for breakfast.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:24 AM

I too agree that Fussen is way too far from Berchtesgaden and Salzburg to feasibly do a daytrip. However, I will say that this area is one of my favorites in Europe, as the scenery is stunning. I personally would spend 2 nights in Fussen and then head towards Berchtesgaden or the Salzkammergut and spend the remainder of your nights there. The drive from Salzburg to Munich isn't too bad, maybe an hour and a half or so.

Happy planning!
Tracy
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Please drop the Bodensee idea and concentrate on the Berchtesgaden/Salzkammergut area. Move on from Füssen after you've seen the castle. Visit Mittenwald on your way eastward. If the Zugspitz doesn't fit, go up the Jenner near Berchtesgaden.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:41 AM

We did one night in Fussen, just to see the castle. http://www.bensbauernhof.com/pmiller2005eaglesnest.jpg We stayed close to the Munich airport our first night - http://www.huberwirt.de/ Was a nice clean hotel with a good breakfast. Berchtesgaden is gorgeous. The bavarian alps are amazing. You could go and see Hitler's eagles nest. http://www.bensbauernhof.com/pmiller2005eaglesnest.jpg What an amazing view. We stayed at the Hotel Schiffmeister on Lake Konigssee. This was close to the eagles nest. The lake there was an amazing teal green. They have these electric boats that take you on a tour on the water and you go through these amazing mountains. Fantastic. There are a lot of little shops by the hotel which my kids enjoyed a lot. My daughter had her picture taken in a little studio there and she looked just like a German waitress! http://www.bensbauernhof.com/pmiller...eebavarian.jpg In my opinion, I would not give Fussen too much time and I would head to the Berchesgaden area. http://www.bensbauernhof.com/pmiller...fmeister.jpgpg
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 07:44 AM

Sorry, a couple of my photos got messed up. My preview button does not seem to be working yet. http://www.bensbauernhof.com/pmiller...teincastle.jpg This is what the picture of the castle looked like the day we were there - raining! But we didn't really care. I was able to touch it!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:40 AM

berchtesgaden/bad reichenhall really is a pretty beutiful corner, so it would make sense to skip lake constance and head to the east. if the zugspitze is a must, you should do while staying in füssen. from there it is less than an hour to drive.

as you are intended to enter austria for salzburg, be sure to have a sticker (called "vignette" in germany, "pickerl" in austria) if you enter on the autobahn. if you want to save the 7 or so euros, you may use roads other than the autobahn.

on your way to the east you may use highway 472 (via Bad Tölz and Miesbach)instead of A95 and A8 autobahns. it would require slightly more time, but let you see more from rural upper bavaria.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you once again. I knew I could count on the good folks on Fodors to keep me straight. For some reason the itinerary planning has not naturally fallen into place for this trip—probably because there’s too many things to see and do.

Here’s the revision:
Lodging: Wurzburg, TBD
April 3: Arrival day. Drive to Wurzburg. Light sightseeing.

Lodging : Rothenburg odT, TBD
April 4: Sightsee in Rothenburg odT, perhaps Schillingsfurst if the Falcon Yard is open, and possibly Bad Mergentheim

Lodging: Fussen
April 5: Leave Rothenburg odT for Nordlingen and Dinkelsbuhl; Arrive in Fussen late.
April 6: Neuschwanstein, Hohenschwangau

Lodging: Berchtesgaden or Salzburg, TBD
April 7: Leave Fussen for Linderhof, possibly Zugsptize, and Mittenwald; Arrive Berchtesgaden or Salzburg late.
April 8: Salzburg
April 9: Berchtesgaden, possibly Jenner
April 10: Depart Munich to DC
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:53 AM

Perfect!
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Holly, thank you for the reminder about the vignette; I read that in Ira's report, as well.

The Bodensee is out for this trip. I'm remembering how beautiful St. Gilgen and Wolfgansee were and now I need to return.

The Zugspitze is not a must, and I like the suggestion about the Jenner as an alternate. We'll see how the timing works.
Old Mar 6th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi fourfor travel,

Just for your information, 1 mile from Neuschwanstein is the Tegelberg cable car and Sommerrodelbahn (luge ride).

www.tegelbergbahn.de/208.0.html

www.tegelbergbahn.de/234.0.html

Not to cause confusion as you have your plan set up, but with an added night in Fuessen you could do the Zugspitze from Ehrwald, Austria. Easy 45 minute or so drive.

www.zugspitze.at

If looking for a place to stay in the Berchtesgaden area, we love the Pension Mayringerlehen in Ramsau, which is 10 min. from Berchtesgaden, 15 min. to Jennerbahn/Konigsee and less than 30 min. from Salzburg

www.mayringerlehen.de

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

I received confirmation from AmMoos in Salzburg for the latter part of the trip--we have the suite in the main house. Thanks, Ira. I believe I read that recommendation was in one of your posts, and the suite looks perfect for us. We're still without lodging for Wurzburg and Rothenburg odT--I have an inquiry to Hotel Kreuzerhof in Rothenburg, but can not find it mentioned in this forum.

Paul, thank you for the suggestions for the luge and the Austrian Zugspitze--this is all good information to have at the ready in case plans and interests change as we go along. The luge ride looks like great fun.
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 04:57 AM

Hi FFT - I like the end of your itinerary, but I think you're shortchanging Rothenburg, and trying to cram in too much on your first two days in country. Can you make the drive straight to Rothenburg on the first day, and spend two nights there, instead of splitting it up with Würzburg?

When my husband and I visited Rothenburg in 2007, we really enjoyed our stay at the Gästehaus Edith. Edith took <u>very good</u> care of us.

www.spaetzle-schwob.de/index_eng.html

Edith offers a family suite, with a large double room, with couch for bed, a room with double bed and single bed, and shower/WC. The hotel is conveniently located on the Milchmarkt, behind the Marktplatz and down the street from the Markusturm. And if you have the opportunity, you should really check out her cooking. She prepares deliciously wonderful dinners.

Robyn
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM

I think you will want a full day in Rothenburg for sightseeing so would not stop in Bad Mergentheim. On the April 5 day I would stop in Nordlingen but not Dinklesbuhl
You seem to have no interest in Munich? I would go there on the last two days rather than the Berchtesgaden/Salzburg

The Wendelstein is another possible mountain trip
Old Mar 7th, 2009, 08:13 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi again,

Just wanted to agree with artstuff and Vttraveler. 2 nights in Rothenburg is perfect. Take the Nightwatchman's Tour while you're there. St. Jacobs church is beautiful. The spectacular 500 year old Tillmann Riemenschneider wood carved alter is up some stairs at the rear of the church.

www.nightwatchman.de

If interested, we did a similar trip (drive) in Oct. 2007.

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...ith-photos.cfm

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -