Germany Itinerary for your comments

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm depending on Fodorites for more help in planning our first trip to Germany in May. We made a few adjustments since our last post, and hope this itinerary looks more doable. Anyway, I am interested in your comments. We will have a rental car for 15 days, and want to see a lot of Luther sites as well as some of the scenic places recommended by many of you. Would you suggest any changes to this basic plan?...Thanks!
Arrive Frankfurt - pick up car drive to Mainz and see Gutenberg Museum, Worms Cathedral before driving to Cochem
Cochem (3 nights)
Burg Eltz, Mosel, Bernkastel
See Wartburg Castle on the way to Wittenberg (2 nights)
Bamberg (2 nights)
Munich (5 nights)
Munich sites and day trips by train to Salzburg, Linderhof Palace, Oberammergau
Rothenberg (1 night)
Night Watchman's tour
Wurzburg (1 night)
Fly home from Frankfurt
Thanks again...
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:34 AM

Just a few suggestions- after a long flight(assuming your flying from US) day one seems rather hectic, and you might consider omitting Worms and head directly from Mainz to Cochem. Also the drive from Cochem to the Wartburg is about 3 hours and from there to Wittenberg is another 2+ hours. I would consider spending the night in either Eisenach or nearby Erfurt. Both are delightful and picturesque towns. Have a wonderful trip!
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:36 AM

Sounds like a nice trip.

Mainz is a good place for overnighting after/before flights, but I would probably just drive to Worms on Day 1 instead. It's not that much further, and Mainz isn't that important if you are just going to see the Gutenberg Museum, which was not terribly impressive, in my book. Worms should be a bit easier to drive into and around by car than Mainz as well. While in Worms, check out the cathedral in nearby Speyer as well if you have the time.

Consider breaking up your Munich area stay by overnighting in a town south of there; driving in and out of Munich isn't that much fun. Or take a daytrip by train on a Bayern Ticket from Munich to those southerly destinations.

Old Jan 5th, 2006, 06:40 AM

I agree with Charlie that you shouldn't be driving all the way to Cochem that day if you are going to be visiting other places too. Overnight in Worms or somewhere nearby. You could squeeze a night out of your Cochem stay or somewhere else.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to both of you for the cautions about day 1 - to tell you the truth, we aren't too concerned about the detour to Mainz and Worms, as we actually do very well the first day after an overnight flight. We've been to the UK several times and have had no problem - we are able to sleep on the plane and feel quite rested (I use the "melatonin" treatment).
Russ, I have been looking forward to the Gutenberg Museum for a long time, but you don't think it's worth a stop? I wonder what others think of it? Has anyone else seen it? If it is generally considered disappointing, maybe we'll take your advice and drop it - driving in a busy foreign city is not my favorite use of time anyway. Thanks again!