Reload this Page >

Germany in October

Search

Germany in October

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2000, 08:56 AM
marley

Germany in October

We will be in Germany for two weeks -- last week of september, first week of October. A friend in Karlsruhe says we can stay with her for all or part of the trip. My husband would also like to visit Munich -- perhaps for a couple of days (I think the idea of Oktoberfest is lurking in his mind.) I wanted to travel into Switzerland. The catch is that our plane arrives/departs from Munich. <BR> <BR>So here's my question: do we stay the entire time in Karlruhe, taking daytrips here and there? Or, should we stay a week with my friend, and a week elsewhere? Where? <BR> <BR>I keep telling myself the advice I see so often on this site : I will return. What should we see?

Old Jun 5th, 2000, 02:05 AM
Hans

You could spend some days in Munich after your arrival, go to Karlsruhe for a week and then continue to Switzerland for another few days (for example Interlaken). If you don't have to decide now, I would make the decision on spot depending upon the weather. The Alps are great but if it's raining, they lose a lot of their appeal. <BR> <BR>To get a feel for the travel distances (i.e. whether a destination makes sense for a daytrip from Karlsruhe), you can go to the site of the german rail, http://bahn.hafas.de

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 03:52 AM
Chris

Munich is a really nice city with lots to see and do but personally I found it more horrible than delightful during Oktoberfesttime - so crowded that we nearly lost the ground under our feet in the subway train! For others this might exactly be the point to enjoy about it, though. It is surely worth spending a few days there - on the beginning of your stay if you decide to go to the Oktoberfest, on the end of it otherwise. <BR>Staying in Karlsruhe you might as an alternative think about a day trip to Stuttgart visiting the Cannstatter Wasen (Sep 23 to Oct 8 this year) - this is rather similar to the Oktoberfest just somewhat smaller and not soooo crowded. <BR>Also Basel for example should be reachable as a day trip - officially Switzerland, but probably not what you have in mind. And for every other swiss destination you would have to plan on at least three hours travel one way. You don't get to see enough of it then in a single day. And I agree with Hans about the rain. A visit to the Stuttgart Wilhelma (a very beautiful combined zoological and botanical garden - don't miss the Amazonienhaus, a tropical rainforest environment) might be a much more pleasant experience in bad weather. The black forest has also very lovely areas, you could for example go to a mineral swimming pool (they've got many healthy spas there like Bad Teinach). Enjoy your visit - whatever you decide upon.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 07:07 AM
pete

Marley, <BR>When you arrive at Munchen, the Oktoberfest should have been on, so be sure that you have booked accommodation before. Have a day trip to Neuschwanstein would be nice.

Old Jun 6th, 2000, 11:51 AM
marley

Thanks for the advice. As I write this, I realize that I said our plane would arrive/depart from Munich -- in reality it's Frankfurt; major typo. <BR> <BR>I think we've decided to spend the first week in/near Karlsruhe, thus skipping Oktoberfest (I hope--from what you said, I don't think I would like it) Then we'll sort of play it by ear -- but probably spend our last two or three days around Munich.